Author Topic: Members Rides - Strictly On-Topic!  (Read 21763 times)

Murph

• Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
Members Rides - Strictly On-Topic!
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »
I have seen done very successfully elsewhere:

The idea is, you get ONE post in this thread, that's dedicated to your car(s), which you can come back to at any time and update information on etc.

Any comments, compliments or critisms on a members car should be in a different thread i.e "Show off". This way, this thread is then purely a catalog of peoples cars that you can have a browse through to see how certain projects might be progressing and see who has what, in like a "CARDOMAIN" fashion.

Any off-topic posts that are made in this thread will be removed  to keep the thread tidy, however any comments can be posted Here

I guess posts could be split up into sections such as spec list, history, etc.

Basically like threads we've had before, but staying Strictly ontopic, and a permanent thing which may assist newbies in getting stuck in.

I know it'll mean copying posts for some of you chaps but the end result will be well worth the effort.

Day
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:03:20 PM by Murph »

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
Re: Members Rides - Strictly On-Topic!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »
the beginning

what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

colonelk

• Skiddy skidz FTW
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:53:28 PM »
Car: 1992 Carlton 2.0i GL
Project Thread: http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php?topic=164.0

Recent Picture

Spec:

- Very Stripped Interior
- Kevlar Bucket Seat
- Removeable Steering Wheel
- GSi 24v Brakes
- Koni GSi Dampers
- Unknown Lowering Springs
- Welded Diff

Plans:

- De-rust!
- Tidy interior
- Locate & fit second bucket seat
- Bigger Engine
- Coilovers
- Adjustable rear suspension arms
- Hydraulic handbrake
- Lots and lots more weightsaving

Project Thread: http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php?topic=164.0
Zee goggles, zhey do nothing!

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 12:16:12 PM »
Car: 1993 2.6 CDX Estate

Spec:  Standard

Plans:
LED conversion on switches and illuminations
Senator dash, console and door cards to be fitted
Diff to be replaced
A few niggles to iron out - Cruise U/S, Instrument cluster faulty.
A few minor rust spots to sort

07/03/2007
Finally some good weather!

Started on the interior today and have removed the dash ready for the Senny one to go in.

While I had the clocks out I gave them a going over to try and find out why the temp guage doesnt work, and found a break in the PCB

That'll explain that then - better look out for a replacement.

While I was working I also noticed that the heater matrix has been leaking so that'll need replacing too.

Off to the scrappy tomorrow to find a Vectra (or similar) from which to get parts to improvise a rotary cable heater control.

Ho Hum :D

*Update*
The Temp guage fault wasnt down to the break in the PCB after all; I tried another set of clocks and still no beans so started tracing the wiring from the sender and found a multiplug not mated up properly - plugged it in fully and hey presto - fully functional dash!

Finally got some good weather and started getting the diff removed and, after breaking two ratchet handles and a reducer, got the bugger off.  I did manage to shear off one of the damper bolts though - gonna be a bugger getting that out!

During the job I noticed that the propshaft centre bearing is fubar'd - added to shopping list.

I also had a good look around under the bodywork and was pleasantly surprised to find that both rear quarters have been properly repaired and treated along with the idler arm mounting - bonus!  THe rear chassis rails are unmarked, the front legs have a little surface rust but no serious rot and the front O/S rail in the engine bay has been well repaired - just a little paint needed.

The exhaust was rotten from the Cats back and replacement parts have been sourced.

The Interior is coming on well also, though I am waiting on a few bits of trim.

Game on!

Update:
The diff is on and oh so much quiter than the old one!
While fitting the exhaust we found that both CATs are fubar - decat pipes fitted instead.

Interior nearly done - looks better now!

I'm waiting on a few bits of trim for the dash and will do the doorcards when the new locks arrive.

I also need to make up a pipe to go from the heater to the end of the dash - Carlton one doesnt fit!

The rims are going to take a bit longer than I thought - there are three layers of paint on them, and they will need a bit of TLC before repainting.

More random exterior pics:

That Vauxhall badge at the front of the engine has been changed for an Opel one now...

Progress!
Update:
The wheels eventually found their way on and do look the part although I'm not happy with the quality of the badges so I'm looking into a source of replacements.

I picked up some leather seats yesterday and once they'd been cleaned I got them fitted.

The seats have covered 300k in various cars so I was surprised at how good a condition they are in - the heaters dont work but the height adjusters are both good, so I'm happy overall.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:27:26 PM by Murph »

GMC

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 12:54:38 PM »
Carlton GSI 3.0 24v Auto 1992

Specification:

Pussy cats removed
Single pipe powerflow stainless steel system fitted
New Sony CD unit
ABS MKIII chip fitted
Poly bushes fitted to the rear crossmember

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 09:03:29 AM by GMC »

alastair

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 11:27:19 PM »
Car: 1991 GSI 3000 24v Manual

Spec:
as standard but now fitted with
Facelift rear light lenses
Facelift alloys

Future:
New exhaust (de cat)
Keep looking good!
1991 GSI 24v man
1993 Senator 24v CD Auto (for sale)
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

alastair

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
Senator 24V Auto

Mods
Absolutley standard spec just passed 90k

Future
Nothing at the moment!
1991 GSI 24v man
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

alastair

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 11:37:31 PM »
DIAMOND 24V Auto

Here she is with her new wheels!!

Parked up with sisters CDI

Just completed 57k

Spec
Standard +
Window tints
now on Irmscher 17"s (MV6 style)

Future
Maybe de cat
rear spoiler
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:58:42 PM by alastair »
1991 GSI 24v man
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

Fraz13

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 11:49:06 PM »

2.0 Auto Diamond

Mods

None YET!!!.... Not sure what but wheels are a deffo....

Volvo V70R 2.3 20v 5 cyl Turbo

Mods

310bhp ECU
ITG filter
18" R wheels
Strut Brace
Tints
Reverse Intercooling
Blitz Dump Valve
Twin Exit 4" exhaust
Alpine in dash TV
Custom built boost gauge
U.S spec indicators
Mesh Grill

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 05:52:15 PM »
diamond24v's Estate:
Here are some pics of my standard diamond 24v......She is in need of some TLC but will be getting her back to her former glory....   
.....So please go easy on her

chrismec

• Poole Dorset
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »
That looks stunning Murph[tlc indeed] :)
Heres some pics of my dippy, only mods are decat, full stainless exhaust, oval side repeaters and BK 16 inch alloys.

Extra brownie pionts for anyone who can spot whats wrong with my car and is deffo next on to do list :(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:36:26 PM by Murph »

bstardchild

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »
Monza GSE B580 UPR
1985 5 - Speed manual with ABS

6 years last November ago on my birthday I collected this

Yep I drove nearly 400 mile round trip to collect a free dead Monza – one point to note is that at this point I had already jet washed the car down on the trailer removing several years of green mould - I had to jet wash the lorry down too…….

I am the second owner - The Previous Owner - David Saunders - was a club member bought it in Germany brand new while serving in the forces. This is why the windows are etched with BPU 57B (this is the forces plate allocated to the car) - he brought the car back to the UK when he left the force and had it registered here. He used it for a couple of years comuting 120 miles a day but then he got a job in the far east so put her into storage. The bill for putting her back on the road when he retuned 4 years later was £2714.65. The storage conditions apparently hadn't been ideal! He then used her again every day for a year putting about 30K on her clock making a total of 180K before he was allocated a company car. His intention was to use her as a weekend car but due to lack of time as a result of work commitments and a rapidly expanding family she lay dormant outside his garage generally getting in the way and growing copius quantites of mould inside and out.  David contacted me to ask if I knew anyone interested in the car - it had to go and go soon as he knew if it wasn't worked on it would never be recoverable and after some long conversations about condition and I was hooked - I borrowed an EX AA Transporter and made the long journey from Norfolk to Southampton to collect the car - no cash exchanged hands the purchase price of the car was the cost of Diesel to collect £87.67 to be precise.

So what was it like when I got it home - All four brakes seized as well as the handbrake - winching the car onto the transporter left long black lines from the driveway to the cab. The engine hadn't been run for over a year. It was covered in green mould due to the shaded nature of its parked position. The interior didn't look much better and absolutely nothing electrical worked even with a brand new battery. There were other faults found during the course of getting her back on the road but bottom line was it took me a whole month to get the engine running and over a year before she passed an MOT. The intention was to use her as an additional summer car and maybe finish of a few of the odd jobs that needed doing like the mechanical odometer on the digital instrumentation pack didn't work. (well it racked up a mile or so in a months worth of use and thats it)

So she was finally on the road and expenditure amounted to just over £1000 -  battery, radiator, water pump, tyres, brake pads, discs, handbrake shoes, header tank, hoses, headlights, indicators, body parts, serviced items and a not unreasonable ammount of welding.

The same week she passed the MOT a club member locally had a major problem with the engine on his Carlton GSi and due to a financial commitment elsewhere he could not afford to repair the engine so I loaned him the GSE - FOR 6 MONTHS - I saw it everyday tho..... He commuted 60 miles a day 5 days a week which would have put 7000 miles on the odometer if it worked!!!! I got it back and continued to put miles on the car for 2 years without more than 50 being recorded on the dash (i'd bought another intrumentation unit but that had the same fault!!! Then amazingly enough the odometer started working and seems to be happily racking up the miles now.

I used her for everyday commuting - track days - car shows and occasionally because the hatch back arrangement is so handy when the seats are folded flat carrying awkward or large items.

Well I did!!!!!!

After 5 years of use it was well over due for a birthday so i took her off the road last winter and did a bit of work on her....... There is a full detail thread elsewhere so I'll try and just give you a feel for it here....

What does it look like now well it's a long story (covered elsewhere but it's last run out as a 12V car was a track session at Trax2005 and as well as getting ragged stupid on the track it had to suffer a run on the mobile dyno as a before (after will be a long time later) benchmark

Dyno run video footage if anyone is interested

Run up to speed

http://www.lotuscarlton.co.uk/DSCF2123.WMV

Power run (this exhaust is a tad loud but to me sound perfect even the lass running the computer put her finger in her ears)

http://www.lotuscarlton.co.uk/DSCF2124.WMV

- last time as a 12V just to see how down on power she was

163 bhp from something thats done over 200,000 miles most of them not exactly sympathetic either!!! Down from the Manufactures figures of 180 bhp but still respectable!!!

So as I like it as a track car I thought I'd strip it out and use it just for track days

Spec now after a winter rebuild

Lowered and uprated springs front and rear
Spax adjustable dampers
OMP eco seats
4 point momo harnesses
8 point custom roll cage
16 inch track day wheels and tyres
Completely striped interior
Analogue dash
Fully balanced and blueprinted 24V engine pushing 239 bhp
Poly bushed suspension
LSD
Custom flywheel to mate a Getrag 265 Box to the 24V engine (9Kgs)
If it moves and is attached to the shell it's powdercoated
24V Refurbished Front brakes (Drilled Brembo 300mm discs)
Std Refurbished Monza Rear discs Drilled to match the font
EBC redstuff pads front and rear
Probably a whole load of other stuff I've forgotten

What does it look like now

Videos

Track day Video footage  

Pulling away from the pits to join the track

http://www.lotuscarlton.co.uk/Ian1.wmv

And a couple of drive-by clips

http://www.lotuscarlton.co.uk/Ian2.wmv

Join me for a lap

www.zippyvideos.com/8813126435936306/dscf3505_reduced/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/9461336265936866/dscf3504_reduced/

So of course nothing left to do to her now apart from routine maintenance - Nope  ;D

The next stage......

The video is a big clue

Clicky for Monza on triple carbs
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy – honestly -  as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

hazzy

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 08:50:27 PM »
got one of thease

turned it into one of thoes

so got this to run around in while warm weather comes to turn thoes back into thease

this isnt comfy enough so got another thingy one

this is going to go which will leave me running around in thingy while i turn thoes into thease again ;D

take care brian

if it makes you smile its been worth while

Pedro

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 11:55:55 PM »
In My Garage.

I got The Louts....

I have the engine in, and it proper purrs like a contented big cat. Leaving it until May to put him back on the road, as few bits'n'bobs to sort out.

Our Lass has Marvin....

I bought Das Brat at Xmas (treated myself, I guess!).....

.....and did this to it this week......

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:45:56 PM by Pedro »

mrchaz

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 03:21:29 PM »
Car: 1990 Carlton GSi 24v Lotus Replica

Spec:

Mantzel 4.0 conversion
Ported head
Large bore throttle body
Custom remap
Wideband lambda data logger
Jetex exhaust with stainless de-cat pipes
Getrag 265 gearbox with modded prop and custom clutch
RaceLogic adjustable traction control
Additional rear anti-roll bar
PSG bodykit (although I do have a NEO kit waiting to be fitted)
Re-trimmed interior to Lotus spec including pleated leather door cards but no split in the rear seat

Plans:

Mappable ECU (either Megasquirt or Emerald)
Fitting the NEO kit (if I ever have the money to get it painted properly)

4.0 24v LC Rep
Vectra SRi140

EssexDippy

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 07:35:19 PM »
Here are a few pics of my Diplomat.  I have changed all the dash lights and interior lights for blue LED's and just added a lotus carlton replica spoiler today.  Got plenty of things still to do but its looking pretty good so far I think. 

HMK

• Some say I'm the "Carlton Jesus"!!
  • Aiming to be the last Carlton owner left in Lincs.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
I own three Carltons, two estates & a saloon - there's also a 70's mini in the garage behind.

The blue 2L estate on the left I bought from Bawtry car auctions about 6 years ago. Although it had never let me down, I thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare as I have to have transport to get to work & the blue Carlton wasn't getting any younger. So in late 05 I bought the blue saloon in the middle as a spare (or possibly to use for spares). As I hadn't got any estate specific spares, I bought the red estate on the left off ebay last summer with no test for spares. It was far too good to break for spares so I tested it & parked it up for another spare ;D

All three Carltons are MOT'd & I have run the blue saloon last year until the test ran out. I then tested it again last November, then cashed the remaining road tax in & put it into storage ready to come out to play again later this year.

The red estate I will probably run for the first time next month as when I was giving the front brakes of the blue estate a service the other day, I noticed that the vertical bushes on both front wishbones looked a bit suspect (so that's why the handling hasn't seemed quite so good just lately), so looks like I need to remove the wishbones & press a couple of new bushes in them before its next test ;)

So basically, I bought two more Carltons because I thought the original one might become unreliable, but the truth is that as long as they are properly serviced & maintained, they are so reliable that they never seem to go wrong :o 8) So I probably didn't need to have any spare cars after all.........but then - I like the variety & they say a change is as good as a rest ;D

On a final note: I like the 2L Carltons for their total reliability - these engines are bomb proof (so long as you keep them in coolant & oil changes - & change the cam belt & roller every 40k), there's nothing to go wrong unless you're very unlucky ;)

I'll probably post some more pictures soon :)

mapblue

• Shetland
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »
After my mazda got wrote off a couple of weeks ago I've had to take the beemer out of storage early,eased the pain a bit.

Oh no not again

A3LTR

• IF ALL ELSE FAILS - HIT IT!!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 08:47:21 PM »
Carlton GSi 12v

Recently restored Cavalier mk1 Coupe (1977)

And another ! ( to be restored at some point)

Modified Bedford CF250 (Carly 2.2 CIH injector fitted, does approx 100mph, on private land of course!)

CBR600 (weekend fun !)

Another Bedford....  to be used for transporting motors when restored

Brian S

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 10:12:53 PM »
Here is mine after some minor bodywork.

GSI24VBONES

• ex GSI 24v now a Zafira
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »
mrs gsibones & mr gsibones  ;D

davyj

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »
thought i would show you my beastie

davyj

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »
I bought this SAAB 2.2 CDE Turbo on ebay FOR £195 in Feb....

And less than 12 hours later.....

OUCH

Einarrson

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 09:16:55 PM »

Picked this up the other day. Just needs a new door and a spot of rust or two sorting out.

Now it looks like this

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:41:41 PM by Einarrson »

therealeasterbunny

• therealeasterbunny
  • Happy to have owned 4 Carltons over 15 years
    • TheRealEasterBunny
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 07:44:27 PM »
I will publish another photo soon, which shows "The Three Amigos" (my current car (below), my blue car(lton) (just before its journey to the car park in the sky 3 years ago) and my bro's car(rlton)....) (been too emotional before to show/use the pic as my blue car was a true warrior and I was sad when it went, but for now ... here is my current trusty steed ...

--------------------------
One year or so on ...
--------------------------
OK, so at time of update, Purple's bushes are now fixed and I am quite inebriated so am prepared to open up and load on the Three Amigos ... on Blue's funeral day.

It still pains me to see her photo from that day ... she was a true warrior, and only now is Purple living up to her name...
(and living on from her donor parts :) ) ...

(Above pic is the three amigos, Purple (who liveth on with donor parts from Black n Blue), Black (brothers car garaged but now sadly gone) and Blue, whose funeral it was ...)

(Blue on her way - is that the lord's light taking her in?)

(Blue, the final goodbye - goodbye my trusty steed!)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:45:31 PM by therealeasterbunny »
Just doing what I can with what I've got ...