Author Topic: what alloys ??  (Read 4273 times)

vauxhalljohn

• Wanted: Life
what alloys ??
« on: October 08, 2006, 02:00:55 PM »
I have been thinking of different alloys that i would like to fit to my carlton ?
But wondered what allys actually fit without any rubbing or causing any damage to the alloys or the arches of the car on the front and the rear .

I know most Vauxhall 15" five stud alloys will fit the carlton , But what else will fit if i wanted to buy a nice set of 17" or 18" rims.  I have seen the steinmetz allys on a carlton in another thread and i likey likey .

Any ideas Fellas  ::)
Lincolnshires HighLander
( There Can Be Only One...)

Johnny A

• A 2.0 Carlton that chases Lotus' finest about?
  • 2 Carltons, 6 litres, 10 cylinders and one turbo
Re: what alloys ??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:21:19 PM »
Its not so much a case of make/design as it is a case of offsets and widths.

For example an 18" rim thats 8" wide and has an offset of ET30 will fit, but if I increased the width to 10" it wouldn't, nor if I increased the offset to ET55 (rims now sit further in and rub on inner arch) or ET10 (rims now catch outer arch)

Key points to remember are:

Standard Vauxhall Carlton stud pattern is 5x110, this is the same as the Senators, Omegas and all 5-stud front wheel drive VX's (Some Calibras, Cavs, most later Vauxhalls)

Standard Carlton offset is ET33 mainly, try and stay within a 5mm +/- figure of this (ET28 to ET38), Senators and Omegas use similar offsets. Large deviations not only cause rubbing issues but cause the car's handling to be effected and conditions such as 'tramlining' to occur.
Cavs and Calibras use ET49, this means the rims sit too far inward... this can be solved with spacers. Its also worth noting for Carlton owners with rounded/flared/extended arches that the offset rule only needs to be applied to the front wheels, if your rear arches can handle ET10 thats fine (e.g Lotus arch extensions)

Standard Carlton arches can handle up to 8.5" wide, this is only when using the correct offset as these will be very tight on the arches both inner and outer. 8" wide can offer a bit more room and is more suitable.

Lowering the car will reduce the available space for larger wheels, as the wheel travels further up into the arch the gap gets narrower and therefore needs to be considered.

A typical 18" wheel thats fully compatible with standard carlton arches would be:

8 x 18" wheels with an ET35 offset, 5x110 stud pattern and a 40mm lowering all round.
This configuration of alloy is common and readily available.
1993 Carlton Estate 2.0 16v Turbo camo edition
1989 Lotus Carlton replica - M4000 edition!

vauxhalljohn

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 03:07:59 PM »
thanks johnny , its exactally the imfo i needed .

dont want to go out next year and buy new rims and then find i have totally buggered the arches and the rims six months down the line.
Lincolnshires HighLander
( There Can Be Only One...)

colonelk

• Skiddy skidz FTW
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 04:22:32 PM »
Its worth keeping an eye on ebay too, as often bargain sets can turn up, seeing as that PCD isnt very common.

Personally Id love to see a Carlton on a set of Astra Mk5 SRi alloys  ;D
Zee goggles, zhey do nothing!

bstardchild

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 11:35:02 PM »
Its not so much a case of make/design as it is a case of offsets and widths.

For example an 18" rim thats 8" wide and has an offset of ET30 will fit, but if I increased the width to 10" it wouldn't, nor if I increased the offset to ET55 (rims now sit further in and rub on inner arch) or ET10 (rims now catch outer arch)

Key points to remember are:

Standard Vauxhall Carlton stud pattern is 5x110, this is the same as the Senators, Omegas and all 5-stud front wheel drive VX's (Some Calibras, Cavs, most later Vauxhalls)

Standard Carlton offset is ET33 mainly, try and stay within a 5mm +/- figure of this (ET28 to ET38), Senators and Omegas use similar offsets. Large deviations not only cause rubbing issues but cause the car's handling to be effected and conditions such as 'tramlining' to occur.
Cavs and Calibras use ET49, this means the rims sit too far inward... this can be solved with spacers. Its also worth noting for Carlton owners with rounded/flared/extended arches that the offset rule only needs to be applied to the front wheels, if your rear arches can handle ET10 thats fine (e.g Lotus arch extensions)

Standard Carlton arches can handle up to 8.5" wide, this is only when using the correct offset as these will be very tight on the arches both inner and outer. 8" wide can offer a bit more room and is more suitable.

Lowering the car will reduce the available space for larger wheels, as the wheel travels further up into the arch the gap gets narrower and therefore needs to be considered.

A typical 18" wheel thats fully compatible with standard carlton arches would be:

8 x 18" wheels with an ET35 offset, 5x110 stud pattern and a 40mm lowering all round.
This configuration of alloy is common and readily available.

Bloody good post 8)
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

insaneco

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 12:03:03 AM »
can i just add to this awesome post with the centre bore which is 65

i thank you please
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:36:29 AM by insaneco »