Author Topic: [Pictures] some modified carlton's to drool over  (Read 17976 times)

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

• Want parts? TOUGH!!! Buy something else....
  • I'm just a six cylinder & Irmscher JUNKIE!!!
Re: [Pictures] some modified carlton's to drool over
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 09:07:03 AM »

Much better, not seen that before.

??? ??? ???

Well you should of seen it at Billing Whippet. That Opel Omega Evolution 500 was parked on the DSG stand all day Saturday which was right opposite you guys on the V.O.D.C. stand?? :o :o :o
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:11:09 AM by U.D. - Omega DTM Rep »
Nissan took a 600bhp NISMO Racecar and de-tuned this flagship Coupé for everyday use on public roads. GM took a reliable Carlton GSi 3000 24v and had Lotus convert it into a 377bhp Bahnstorming Lotus Carlton. Both vehicles were on sale from 1989....Which manufacturer would you trust with your cash??

flash911

• NO!! Not More Rust FFS!!
  • Wanted: Life
  • 12 Cylinders, 48 valves. ;0)
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
i saw it, even took a pic, sennie boot spoiler? did you have to cut it down?
One Day!

mapblue

• Shetland
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

I think that's the way the evo's come.
Oh no not again

Whippit

• Kirkcaldy, Fife
  • Global Moderator
  • Ut olim ingenii necnon virtutis
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 03:13:35 PM »

Well you should of seen it at Billing Whippet. That Opel Omega Evolution 500 was parked on the DSG stand all day Saturday which was right opposite you guys on the V.O.D.C. stand?? :o :o :o

Well I am not the most observant person in the world ;)
TBF I did not actually look around too much, was either on the Autojumble or keeping the kids in line ::)

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »
sounds like a bag of spanners though!!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:43 PM »

I think that's the way the evo's come.

Correct Mapblue! :)

Irmscher made this rubber lower lip Spolier for both their own Omega Evolution 500 and Irmscher Senator WAY before GM copied it and put a similar looking GRP item on their facelift Senny B's....

Oh dear Carlton_Mad....I thought that you of all people would understand why the Evo 500 sounds the way it does! :o :o :o

You see the Opel Omega Evolution 500 is powered by a more powerful Irmscher built C30XEI 24v and not the run of the mill C30SE 24v that all OE Carlton's and Senator's use.

As the Opel Omega Evolution 500 is an Homologation special built and sold to the public too allow Opel to go motor racing, Its C30XEI has Larger throttle pot, Larger plenum chamber, different ECU, different highlift cams, solid tappets (hence why it sounds like a bag of spanners), different crankshaft with different pistons also and different con rods to match. ;)

The DTM Omega A's race engines could rev up to maximum of 10,000rpm and so the road going Opel Omega Evolution 500's had to incorporate this feature or it wouldn't have been able to comply with the rules and thus been allowed to race against Audi, BMW & Mercedes in the DTM!

For the record :-

C30SE = 204bhp @ 6000rpm with max Torque 199lbsft @ 3600rpm

C30XEI = 230bhp @ 6700rpm with max Torque 206lbsft @ 3500rpm

HTH! :P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:57:18 PM by U.D. - Omega DTM Rep »
Nissan took a 600bhp NISMO Racecar and de-tuned this flagship Coupé for everyday use on public roads. GM took a reliable Carlton GSi 3000 24v and had Lotus convert it into a 377bhp Bahnstorming Lotus Carlton. Both vehicles were on sale from 1989....Which manufacturer would you trust with your cash??

Pedro

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »

Oh dear Carlton_Mad....I thought that you of all people would understand why the Evo 500 sounds the way it does! :o :o :o

But Mr. Mad isn't wrong, is he - they do sound like a bag of spanners, irrespective of why they sound like a bag of spanners!
 ;D ;D ;D

flash911

• NO!! Not More Rust FFS!!
  • 12 Cylinders, 48 valves. ;0)
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »
me likey that engine ...... NICE AND CLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One Day!

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
me likey that engine ...... NICE AND CLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the race engines too Flash911! ;) 8) 8) 8)

In 1991, The first generation DTM Evo 500's had a cylinder capacity of 2994cc but with a new compression ratio of 12 :1 and combine this with other modifications, these race engines produced 410bhp @ 9300rpm and maximum Torque was 250lbs/ft (same as the earlier DTM Omega 3000's) but at a higher 7500rpm. Also Bosch Motronic 1.8 throttle bodied fuel injection was retained.

These improvements saw the DTM Omega Evolution 500 now accelerating to 62mph in just 4.7seconds but top speed was limited to the same as before at 186mph. Sadly, because the high-revving nature of this engine....it proved to be very unreliable during 1991/1992 years races resulting in alot of DNF's and poor position finishes for all the teams and drivers. :'( :'( :'(