Author Topic: Fault codes. Where to connect, How to read and what they mean.  (Read 8287 times)

Mezzy

• 1990 GSI 24v
  • Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Fault codes. Where to connect, How to read and what they mean.
« on: September 11, 2006, 11:46:03 AM »
Please leave open so can be edited. (More stuff may be added)

All you need is two lengths of wire long enough to connect to the pins on the socket and a switch so when you are sat in car, you can switch on the symbol on the dash and read off the codes. BUT do this without the engine running.

Refer to column 1.5 / 1.5.4

T.P.N

HTH.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:14:16 PM by Mezzy »

defold-git

• Wanted: Life
  • a wink is as good as a nod
Re: Fault codes. Where to connect, How to read and what they mean.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:41:03 PM »
OR www.topbuzz.co.uk for earlier Carlton models and dare I say it all Vauxhall cars, pre omega.
im deaf so cant hear the noises

Mezzy

• 1990 GSI 24v
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
OR www.topbuzz.co.uk for earlier Carlton models and dare I say it all Vauxhall cars, pre omega.

Maybe. But i do already have those, my old dude. But as seen as this is a carlton related site........................................

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 07:19:08 PM »
For those who do not have a gunson's fault finder....

shorting pins A and B with a paperclip (on carlton 10 way diagnostic plug ,which can be found  in the bulkhead area  to the left of the wiper mechanisms in the left corner tucked underneath plastic panel.

the engine management light on the dash will flash out the fault codes as explained above in mezzy's post
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

Scatmancraig

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:32:02 PM »

shorting pins A and B with a paperclip (on carlton 10 way diagnostic plug ,which can be found  in the bulkhead area  to the left of the wiper mechanisms in the left corner tucked underneath plastic panel.

the engine management light on the dash will flash out the fault codes as explained above in mezzy's post

Doesn't work on the 3.0 12v Carltons with LE Jetronic injection though as they do not have an engine management light!!

Mezzy

• 1990 GSI 24v
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 03:28:36 PM »

Doesn't work on the 3.0 12v Carltons with LE Jetronic injection though as they do not have an engine management light!!

You can buy a gunsons with a led built in and this will obviously flash out your code.

bstardchild

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:32:37 PM »

You can buy a gunsons with a led built in and this will obviously flash out your code.

It's never done that for me.............

I bought one a while back very expensive paper clip with a list of what the codes mean

Connector is only set up for the engine so you can't use it to do the LCD Dash, Trip computor, Auto tranny or on Senators the Ride control system - need a paper clip for that!!
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

flash911

• NO!! Not More Rust FFS!!
  • 12 Cylinders, 48 valves. ;0)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »
do these fault codes apply to digi dash as well ?
One Day!

Mezzy

• 1990 GSI 24v
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:38:27 PM »
Tried gunson on digi and worked for me, as long you have the engine check light.

As for the post. was done only for where to connect and what the codes mean. Doesnt matter if its a paper clip, two lengths of wire and switch or W.H.Y.

Regards

Wayne.

lepews

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:08:28 AM »
i'm really interested in this thread, but can't seem to work out how the codes are displayed?  Seems to be engine light flashes, but how many mean what?  Is 1 flash = 1, 2 = 2 etc... with 10 being 0?

Also, in the charts, what do the five rows of seemingly random numbers (L4.1 , 2.7 , 2.5 etc) actually mean?

thanks,

Lepews

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 05:58:37 AM »
i'm really interested in this thread, but can't seem to work out how the codes are displayed? Seems to be engine light flashes, but how many mean what? Is 1 flash = 1, 2 = 2 etc... with 10 being 0?
that is correct but when it first starts flashing the stored faults... there are 2 short flashes to let you know it's begun.... ignore these,
  At the end of the list of codes you will get a pause and the 2 flashes again to confirm the end.

Also, in the charts, what do the five rows of seemingly random numbers (L4.1 , 2.7 , 2.5 etc) actually mean?

thanks,

Lepews

the colmn numbers refer to the type of engine management (eg : 1.5 will be bosch motronic 1.5 engine management system
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

lepews

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 09:14:25 AM »
i'm really interested in this thread, but can't seem to work out how the codes are displayed? Seems to be engine light flashes, but how many mean what? Is 1 flash = 1, 2 = 2 etc... with 10 being 0?
that is correct but when it first starts flashing the stored faults... there are 2 short flashes to let you know it's begun.... ignore these,
  At the end of the list of codes you will get a pause and the 2 flashes again to confirm the end.

thanks,

Lepews

the colmn numbers refer to the type of engine management (eg : 1.5 will be bosch motronic 1.5 engine management system

thx Dave,

how do I find out  which management system is fitted to my '92 Dip?

This is what is on the ECU:

Bosch 0 261 200 368

GM 90 351 650

GG

and on the barcode sticker:

*264.08*         078
*26RT4061*
*6142.06160*

HMK

• Some say I'm the "Carlton Jesus"!!
  • Aiming to be the last Carlton owner left in Lincs.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 11:20:42 AM »
I've found those numbers on the ecu mean very little to most people :D

I should think it'll be a 1.5 at 92 with a cat fitted (the ecu that you fitted did come from another cat equipped car, I hope :-\

The fuel pump relay is in the kick panel near the ecu.

The fuel pump is INSIDE the tank on a saloon :(

Tetleysmooth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 11:24:24 AM »

The fuel pump relay is in the kick panel near the ecu.

Same relay as the 24 valve Senator and the later Cavalier I believe. Probably others too.
Nils desparandum illegitimi carborundum.