Author Topic: Oil pressure and battery volt meter  (Read 12237 times)

GMC

Oil pressure and battery volt meter
« on: September 04, 2006, 07:58:50 PM »
I want to fit a battery volt meter and oil pressure gauge dials to my GSI just below the radio unit

I believe these type dial gauges are fitted to the calibra se models. The gauges would be a nice fit in the redundant space in the gsi. My car has the dial instrument panel.

I have noticed spare wiring loom connectors around the block and oil pump areas. are these wires for connection to these type gauges as fitted to the didgi dash instruments?

I need some wiring advice :o

Thanks GMC

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 08:01:43 PM by GMC »

king nero

• Belgium
    • kingnero.be
Re: Oil pressure and battery volt meter
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:59:39 PM »
I am about to do the same thing, about oil pressure sender, and water temp (as the dash gauge plays up sometimes).
Once I get around to order the gauhes and senders, I'll write a how-to, but don't wait for that  ;) might be a few weeks before I get all the parts...

You'll deffo need an oil temp sender to screw in the block somewhere, and there are types with ptc and ntc which will give different  readings if used with the wrong type of gauge.

http://kingnero.be/engine/oilgauge/ might be of help, basically it's a migweb.co.uk topic I saved on my webspace, as posts come and go on MIG... (though this once still exists, linky on that page).

Voltage is easy, just get the pos. switched from the radio (or similar) and earth to ground.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 09:01:35 PM by king nero »

blippi

• Old School New Rules
  • Wanted: Life
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 09:17:24 PM »
if u have trouble finding one u could buy aftermarket gauges and utilise the wood look blanking plates that came on the diplomats, it clips into the space and if u cut the holes for the gauges would look tidy  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 09:19:50 PM by blippi »

Scatmancraig

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »
I wouldn't mind fitting an oil pressure guage on my diesel Carlton, it'll probably scare the hell out of me though!!

Oil light problem appears to have stopped, stays off all the time now (apart from when the engine os switched off, obviously!!)

GMC

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
Ive fitted the Calibra style oil and volt gauges today. Had to modify the plastic surround a little but a perfect fit below the radio. Just need the oil sender to operate the oil gauge

Has anybody got a sender unit off a cav,calibra, carlton etc and where does it fit? Can i use the existing sender unit hole to fit the oil pressure sender? i have noticed a couple of blanking plugs 15 to 16mm are these the original locations for the didgi dash oil pressure unit? King Nero has pointed out some locations but 3.0 engine different

Why didnt Vx fit these here as standard rather than a piece of blanking plastic?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:18:03 PM by GMC »

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »
cos at 100 plus mph you dont want to be checking if your flies are undone now do you!!!!

lol
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

GMC

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »
I don't go at them speeds, honestly your honour :P
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 10:14:35 AM by GMC »

Pedro

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 08:28:30 PM »

Very tidy installation, that!

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 09:11:37 PM »
 You old romantic ! heart FM
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

GMC

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 09:26:46 PM »
You old romantic ! heart FM

I Know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GSI24VBONES

• ex GSI 24v now a Zafira
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 12:07:54 AM »

Does indeed look the part  nice job there

i'm thinking off trying to fit my tomtom into the center air vent hole  :-\ to get the built in look  lets hope it goes ok

flash911

• NO!! Not More Rust FFS!!
  • 12 Cylinders, 48 valves. ;0)
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 08:22:42 AM »
very nice indeed
One Day!

king nero

• Belgium
    • kingnero.be
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 04:35:56 PM »
Ive fitted the Calibra style oil and volt gauges today. Had to modify the plastic surround a little but a perfect fit below the radio. Just need the oil sender to operate the oil gauge (...)

Where did you get the plastic piece from, if you don't mind me asking?

GMC

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 05:26:46 PM »
The plastic piece comes as standard fit with dials. The dials are from  Calibra / Cavalier models.
The blanking plate on the Carlton is 190mm x 67mm. The Calibra is 200mm x 72mm so a little modifying is required so that the dials clip into place.
Make sure if you purchase these dials you get the wiring loom 4 pin connector with at least 6 inches of wiring.
I spent the day looking at different car breakers trying to find the loom. Found a set of grey faced dials and loom, paid a fiver for the lot. The white faced ones now fitted i paid 45.00.
See ebay link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-calibra-white-dial-oil-pressure-and-volt-meter_W0QQitemZ320033050377QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:50:55 AM by GMC »

telboy

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 03:36:53 AM »
VERY nice indeed ,i have just got a  set and would like to now how you modifed yours so well and what did you use for the job cheers telboy

GMC

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 08:50:21 AM »
VERY nice indeed ,i have just got a set and would like to now how you modified yours so well and what did you use for the job cheers telboy

Carlton Plastic blanking piece   190mm x 67mm
Plastic oil and volt dial surround    200mm x 72mm

Unscrew the dials ( 5 x screws ) from the plastic surround. Take out the plastic blanking plate from the Carlton fascia.
The dials have their own retaining tabs, centralise the dials and push lightly into place, you will feel a click as the taps lock into place. This will give you an idea on how they will look and retain into place once the surround has been modified and fitted back onto the dials.

On one end of the surround will be a foam strip, carefully remove the strip.
Using a dremel and file or other cutting tool, cut away 2mm or up to the thin raised plastic edges at each end of the surround. You can use the thin raised edges as a line to cut. Cut one edge at a time then test fit, ( Do this with all cuts ) use a file to clean up the edges etc.

Now cut 2mm from the lower edge of the surround, Test fit.
Replace the dials onto the surround. Push the whole unit into place, you will feel the retaining tabs clip into place, if not slightly modify the unit to fit ( no cutting of the top edge is required )
Replace the foam strip to outer edge then cut to fit.

To remove the dials use a small screwdriver place at the top edge of the unit and lever out.

The wiring loom 4 x wires into small black connector.
Brown       
Black       
Black/grey 
Blue/yellow

Use the ash tray illumination bulb wiring to power the volt gauge and illumination ( ignition on. My preference )
You will need to purchase 1 x oil pressure sender to power the gauge. I purchased mine from Vauxhall, all in one pressure sender and switch. Just unscrew your original switch then screw the new sender in place.
This unit has two connections black tube plug for the original wiring that you disconnected from the original sender and then a small screw type threaded connection, this is to power the gauge. The oil sender units are all the same to fit  Astra gte,Calibra and Carlton

Part No 90337695 98.35

Using the ash tray wiring:

Brown to Brown
Black/grey and black connect to black
Blue/yellow to thread connection on oil sender.

Now if you have no oil sender and want just the volt gauge to operate join the blue/ yellow to brown connect to brown.

Hope this helps ;)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 05:07:09 PM by GMC »

telboy

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 01:26:11 PM »
cherrs for that will let you now how i get on, just got the wiring to do some how cherrs telboy

telboy

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 03:51:05 PM »
HI there i have a 24v Carlton with a LCD dash in it, just would like to now if the sender unit on the car will run the oil pressure gauge on the calibers gauge,  the sender unit i have found is to the right as you look at the engine down below coming out off the side/bottom off the oil pump is this the sender unit or is it something else. also how would i wirier it upcheers telboy

GMC

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 04:01:04 PM »
Yes thats the same unit as long as it has two connectors? 1 x black connector for the oil light on the dash and the screw type connector for the oil pressure LCD dash.

You can either use the existing blue/yellow wiring from the sender ( screw fit connector) and trace it back into the car or run a new piece of wiring from the sender and follow the original wiring through the bulk head behind the glove box and join to the gauge wiring loom

I would leave the original wiring loom alone and run a new piece of wiring, but the choice is yours?
You may be able to run the two oil pressures gauges? the one on the LCD dash and the dials
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 05:05:37 PM by GMC »

carltonman

• Aberdeen, UK
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »
anyone tried fitting the VW type off a Sirocco GTI? Have it here and looks good too......

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 05:22:55 PM »
Got any pics?

GMC

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »
HI there i have a 24v Carlton with a LCD dash in it, just would like to now if the sender unit on the car will run the oil pressure gauge on the calibers gauge, the sender unit i have found is to the right as you look at the engine down below coming out off the side/bottom off the oil pump is this the sender unit or is it something else. also how would i wirier it upcheers telboy

Have you fitted the gauges and how did you get on?

telboy

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »
Have not fitted the gauges as the car is in the bodyshop having the rear doors done, Doors have got a bit of rust on them so i put the car in before they get to far gone. will fit the gauges when i get her back cheers terry

mapblue

• Shetland
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 07:29:25 PM »
The wire from the oil sender stops at the bulkhead and does not come in to the car why they did that i have no idea.So you will have to run a new one, you could join in to it but it will be much quicker to run a new one
Oh no not again

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 08:59:27 PM »
anyone tried fitting the VW type off a Sirocco GTI? Have it here and looks good too......
pics?
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust