Author Topic: Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - back from the dead  (Read 34228 times)

bstardchild

• Wanted: Life
Re: Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - back from the dead
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
Better than some I have seen - what do you want for them?
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy – honestly -  as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

bstardchild

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 11:06:20 PM »
Who says convertibles aren't practical

That's

14m of 40 x 40 x 2mm box in 3.5 m lengths for the dolly
and
7m of 25 x 25 x 2mm box in 3.5m lengths for the inner wing repairs

So this evening I've been mainly cutting, grinding and welding up this

40 x 40 x 2mm box with the wheel plates made from 15cm x 16cm x 5mm plate (I had this knocking around already from when I made my welding bench)

And just before I ran out of noisy hours I cut these from a long length and cleaned them up

I suppose it's now bad form to say "can you guess what it is yet"
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy – honestly -  as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

bstardchild

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
No guesses here yet....... I'll have to give more clues

So picked up the wheels today - spot the odd one out

Actually I'd better give up on guessing games hadn't I?

Answer is 3 are braked and one isn't (I only ordered 2 braked and 2 un-braked) Have angry grinder will travel - problem solved I now have 2 un-braked......

Moving swiftly on - so good planning is important - if I'd had the wheels yesterday I'd have drilled the wheel plates but I didn't and the welder was happy to glue them on so I just needed to drill some holes....... Now years ago I'd have grabbed a hand drill (electric one not hand hand drill) and blasted thro using several drill bits to get the job done - I used to get my drill bits sharpened by an engineer at work and ended up being called the "Drill Bit Killer" due in no small part to the number I was asking to be sharpened on a regular basis - now the engineer in question got fed up sharpening drills so tried to "educate" me in the art of drilling steel - apparently slow and steady with lots of lube....... My main issue with the slow bit was electric drills don't do slow they are kinda all or nothing. Salvation was at hand my dad had an old pillar drill (he builds and restores sail boats for a hobby - I like metal and oil and he can't understand what happened to the gene pool I inherited but that's another story) Anyway he gave me his old Pillar Drill - it's belt driven and any excessive pressure and it stops when drilling steel - A "drill bit saver" I call it.........

So can't take the dolly to the drill - take the drill to the dolly

Didn't take long - set up was the hardest bit finding three things to match the plate height of the pillar drill - two wheel ramps was easy and a trolley jack provided an adjustable 3rd leg.

All done and wheels on

Back to the "can you guess what it is yet" tubes - this help?

40 x 40mm box section slides straight in - nice and tight.

Wheels off and car support bars being removable the Dolly can be stored without taking too much space 
Cheers

BC

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
Do the top half of your axle stands fit in the tubes for the corners of the dolly  ???
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

bstardchild

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
Do the top half of your axle stands fit in the tubes for the corners of the dolly  ???

That's a really good point and I honestly don't know...

OK what are they for

Right now the commodore has suspension, axles, wheels, tyres and a handbrake so is still very mobile

However I need to cut the floor out of it so that's going to seriously compromise the shell strength if I leave it on wheels and tyres fitted to axles and suspension (all the weight/load at the extreeme - all the weak bit in the middle)

I've got to remove all that stuff anyway - plus the front chassis rails so I'm running out of places to support the shell off the floor.

Jacking points I'd normally use them all and axle stand under each one - Jacking points are attached to the floor......

So what in needed is a rolling frame that allows me to keep the Commodore shell movable when I have removed the floor and also wheels and suspension and front cross member

I need a slightly different design this time as I can only support the Commodore on the sills - so will aim to support the sills along the whole length

I'll make it a bit higher than I need to start with as most of the repairs the shell requires is just above sill level - that way I can save my knees and back - later when I need to do higher level work I'll just support the car in another way on a temp basis and chop some length out of the uprights :D
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »
I've built a few in the past for restoration work on a Mini which was nice and small and also my Rally Car Monza (this is a long term project but it's what's hiding at the back of my garage)

For a few pounds investment in some steel and wheels it makes a huge difference to working on a car shell when in a narrow garage

Unfortunately I can't borrow it because it's still in use and I'd have to modify it if I did borrow it.

The one above uses the same tube with box inside but also with frame sliders - this way I can support the Rally Monza on the jacking points while I sort the sills and then support on either sills when I sort out the floors by spinning the Dolly round 90 deg and then adjusting the sliding supports to suit
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:11:59 PM by bstardchild »
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »
So last bit of work on the commodore for a week - my work is getting in the way

So first job get it up in the air

Wheel ramps front and axle stands rear

Slide the Dolly under and lets get cracking

Fabrication commences at some speed

Same on other side

Then it was time to see if the sills will support the shell

Jobs a goodun - well chuffed with that

Then I started removing wheels - need to remove the rest of the running gear and help lighten the load on the sills

So I spent a fair bit of time spraying penetrating oil on all the bolts
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2015, 03:07:57 PM »
Got the Air gun out for the rear  - I only had two hours so I hit it and hit it hard

Didn't take long so I hit the front end

Pile of scrap (possibly unless this a in Greece wants it)

That's all folks no car activity for a week
Cheers

BC

opelnz

• OpelForum NZ
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »
Not necessarily all scrap, as Manta owners like the five stud axles to convert their 400 replicas from 4 stud.

I can post up on the OMOC if you want?

Carlton Diamond x2

bstardchild

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »
Not necessarily all scrap, as Manta owners like the five stud axles to convert their 400 replicas from 4 stud.

I can post up on the OMOC if you want?

Thanks Neville but I offered them on an Opel Ireland forum (they gave me some help with the rally Monza project) and have a couple of enquiries for them - first request was from Greece!!! Not sure what the shipping costs are going to be for what he needs but have a second dibs from a commodore A owner in Ireland so pretty sure I will find a home one way or other.....
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
OK Back to the grind (no pun intended - OK it probably was.....

So doors had scabby edges - and a few holes - started at the edge of one with a strip disc and found filler - lots of it so stripped it all out to see what I was dealing with (garage resembled a winter wonderland scene)

One door good couple of small skin repairs at the corners needed

One door horrible - it's been hit and creased 3/4 of the way along the door and the dent has just been filled with filler - at some points it was an inch deep (25mm for our continental cousins)

I looked for a door skin - yeah right like they are gonna be easy to find

Best I could get was a lower skin repair panel so as I could get that I thought I'd try something first

Ran a slitting disc down the crease and then applied some pressure from behind and the skin closed up again before the dent was out

So I widened the slot

Using what I had to hand (length of 22 mm cooper tube and some cardboard I packed the skin out behind the slit to minimise the dent

Yeah I should have took pictures - I didn't

But after a bit of mig action and then some grinding back I had this

Sure I'll need some filler but not inches of it this time so I can live with that

Tried to take a profile shot but it's not come out that well

I chopped a couple of corners off and using what was left of the Monza door skin added the start of some repair sections

I need to repair the frame of the door in the corners so sticking some repair sections on the skin gives me a base to work with
Cheers

BC

Scatmancraig

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2015, 11:59:07 AM »
Looking good!  ;D

bstardchild

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2015, 11:48:04 PM »
Looking good!  ;D

Thanks Craig

Well no pictures but after 3 nights of faffing around I've finally got the rear screen out - with out breaking it or damaging the rubber seal.

It's a rubber seal arrangement rather than bonded in - now if it was a Monza I'd have either cut the seal to save the screen or cracked the screen out to save the seal

However it's a Commodore and screen seals are £150 when you can get them and glass is just as unobtainable so I needed (to give me options) to save both.

This was made a lot more difficult by sealant being used to assist the rubber seal to hold back water - the bloody thing did not want to come out and I've lost count of the number of times I backed away because I knew further effort was going to crack the screen

Annoyingly after being amazed by the lack of rust in other areas hidden by glass/alloy trim or rubber seals I have found rot.......

So I sulked and went and did something else
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »
This arrived in the post today

Excellent - no inspection by D V L A required

I have a few days off next week so I'm planning to fire up the plasma and see how far I get
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:49 PM »
OK so paging Fred and Barney to the bat phone

Tunnel be gone

Then one side of the floor pan because I now had a hole to stand in

Salvaged for someone

Then a bit more came out (a bit got left in for tommorrow)

Then an easy bit to finish

Followed by a good sweep up

And through the square window

Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
Still haven't worked out a way to resolve my dimensional issue - I'm thinking of building a bead roller that I can run along the bottom of the Monza Sill to create a 5mm step on each side......

Anyway Day 2 of the Holiday - needed to up the pace a bit

Now peeps I left a little bit of floor in yesterday - so that was despatched in lightening speed (who am I kidding it was an utter cow to remove as my cunning plan based on yesterdays fun and games failed at the first hurdle) so as it was the worst floor section I got brutal with it.....

Floor be gone

As I said not the best repair panel but it can be repaired and it got added to a pile that somehow I need to get to Dusseldorf

Oh and if anyone thinks the Commodore could have been saved have a look at this chassis rail

Other side was worse and the rot extends right up into the engine bay rails - yes it probably could but then this thread would read a lot different.

Bit more work at the back end (still more to do)

Tidied up the sills and got rid of the inner sill skin

Then scraped of the matting on the inside of the roof cos it kept getting in my hair and I can now stand up and walk around inside the car so it's easy.

So front

And back

Need to dig out my spot welding drills out next as that back panel has got to come out.

Doesn't seem like much done really...........
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
So I had a day off the Commodore yesterday - sometimes you have to take a break

Today back at it - bracing be gone

Followed shortly by an arch

then another

then some other metal (mainly chassis rails)

Yeah better picture needed

So getting nearer to the end point.....
Cheers

BC

djbthatsme

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »
Lot of good work going into this, well done bstardchild. Obviously you don't have any other interests. ;D Rather you than me but then I don't have a garage etc which clearly you do and which you are puting to  good use. 

bstardchild

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
Lot of good work going into this, well done bstardchild.

Thank you

Obviously you don't have any other interests. ;D

Too many interests - too many cars & motorcycles and work also gets in the way sometimes but I try to have a focus on one vehicle at a time when doing things like this.

Rather you than me but then I don't have a garage etc which clearly you do and which you are puting to  good use. 

I regard my garage as a small workshop rather than for car storage - unfortunately it has to do a bit of both but in the spring & summer it can be all workshop

Anyway no pictures because pictures of wiring looms, steering columns and pedal boxes being removed don't make thrilling or interesting copy

Should get to fire up the plasma cutter again then I can finish what I have started
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »
I needed to leave part of the original bulkhead in place because I want to use the Commodore heater box and demist pipework (track cars with no heaters aren’t much fun on a wet track day)

From inside

From outside

Inner wing rails have been removed at the bulkhead joint by drilling out the spot welds (never like that job)

Finished up the back end too

Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2015, 11:11:22 PM »
Still plodding along but I think I have a rough idea of what I need to lift now, bathroom scales under each wheel in turn

Pass side rear 105 kgs
Drivers side rear 103 ks
Pass side front 25 kgs
Drivers side front 25 kgs

Dolly it sits on is approx 65 kgs based on 2kg a foot for the steel used plus the wheels

So the shell should be somewhere around 190 to 200 kg unless you can't calculate it roughly the way I have.....
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
A whole weekend welding up trim holes.

Remove paint, use punch and hammer to provide a dent where the hole is, miggy miggy, flap disc down, then linish smooth.

And repeat again and again and again 48 times to be exact. Actually a few needed a 2nd go so lets say nearly 50!!!

I made the mistake of not doing this on the Monza when I de-trimmed it and little holes get bigger fast even when hidden by plastic windows.

Well not the only thing I did but pretty much the major activity

Seam welding the sills in the door shuts as they weren't and it annoyed me.

Grinding back the last of the rear chassis rails - cleaning up the edges of the wheel tubs to a nice even gap

De-constructing the front end to remove the radiator support from it as the Monza already has one of them and the rad support holes are in the right place on that one.

All of this took way way longer than normal because I decided that I would make an attempt to use up my large pile of part used flap discs (40,60 and 80 grit most unable to be identified as the labels buzzed off) I think in total I had close to 20 used ones as some times you need to use a new one for a clean edge or for speed (new ones go thro metal fast) or because you have the wrong grade for what you need to do and the half used ones end up not going back on.

So after a weekend of grinding and only having used one new one (yeah sometimes you just have to use a new one) my pile of part used ones has shrunk dramatically and the number in the bin that are totally spent clearly shows just how many.

Oh and while back I found out the drivers door had a crease in it "wagged up" to the window edge with filler well that crease also extends to the rear quarter which again was "wagged up" to nearly the window line with filler - so I turned my garage into a winter wonderland scene (again)
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »
Part 1

I've found a replacement for the glue that didn't keep the tiles stuck to a space shuttle, unfortunately you'll need to go back to Opel in 1972 for find the recipe...........

It's whatever they used to stick the sound deadening material to the roof

Zip wheels just heat it up and spread it around

Every solvent in my cupboards has been thrown at it and they all have a similar effect to a zip wheel - ie sort of melt it but allow it to be spread thinner over a bigger area and even harder to remove

It was even stuck to surface rust and I managed to remove the rust but not the glue

A club member suggested thinners and as I don't paint anything yet I think I'll get some and see how that handles it!!!

Part 2

Thinners is for winners......

Had to resort to painting it on, repeatedly and then after it had softened up, using a sharp wallpaper scrapped to lift the majority.

Then apply more thinners and follow up with scotchbrite again soaked in thiners

Hit the surface rust with a zip wheel followed by my last strip disc and I had a surface I could paint. So I did, two coats of primer and it looks so much better.

Painting now because I'm not going to be able to do it when the roll cage is in the way.

High as a kite now.........

Oh and I need to re-paint my garage floor as it appears that thinners is very good at bubbling floor paint...... Needed doing anyway once this project is done.

Poor lighting - crappy phone camera - not my best composition but I know you guys like pictures

Cheers

BC