Author Topic: Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - back from the dead  (Read 34227 times)

mrchaz

Re: Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - back from the dead
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
Or you could 4.0L  ;)
4.0 24v LC Rep
Vectra SRi140

bstardchild

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »
Or you could 4.0L  ;)

Was sorry to see you breaking it up but I can totally understand why - anything that unusual is going to be worth more in parts

I was tempted but it was the lazy option - if I did that I'd never build the 3.7 24V and I've had the parts so long that I really should build it........
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

bstardchild

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »
Back from the dead - hmmm apt

Not much to catch up with to get this thread up to date although plans have changed

They say confession is good for the soul - I am an Opel fruit.

I love Monzas - I love the way they handle and drive and in the case of mine I love the 24V lump I threw in it I had a thread running on here but I'd rather let that one die

However after many years of tracking my Monza GSE I ran out of talent and stuck it on it roof which didn't make it very pretty (still got it bashed into shape and finished the track day) - I always reckoned if I got a few years out of it before binning it I'd be happy and I exceeded those expectations but it's pretty battered and RRG2012 was it's last outing as a track car I just needed to work out how to resurrect it.

Have a picture from RRG2012

it looked OK but much better before the oooops in France (reflections are pretty much dents).

So after RRG2012 I parked the Monza up (OK abandoned it on the drive) and concentrated on getting another long time owned car back on the road with the intention of getting it to RRG2013 - I failed but I kept at it and got it to RRG2014 - That thread probably needs an update when I find it!!!

I still spent way too long thinking about what to do with the Monza when I should have been cracking on with the LC......

Now many years ago I bought a 1972 Opel Commodore B - 2 door coupe and I had some intentions of getting it back on the road but to be honest I was having way too much fun with the Monza to worry about it so I got it solid on top and kept it as a back up project floor pan and chassis rails still needed some work.

So where is all this going I'm sure you are saying

Original Plan A was to transfer all the running gear into the Commodore but I'd have ended up with a live axle and I'd need new suspension to suit as well as a tunnel enlargement to take the getrag box and then the car would need a cage so I'd be doing it all again and that didn't float my boat especialy as all the chassis, suspension, running gear and engine and box are really good on the Monza. It has an 8 point welded in cage that ties everything together.

So I started thinking (this is bad) because my thoughts normally exceed my abilities.....

I could have re-shelled the Monza into another Monza but I'd still have the issue of transfering the cage and I've already accidently got another Monza project anyway - pretty sure there might be half a thread on here somewhere..... (and I'm actually banned from owning two of anything apparently - it seems to be a rule that I'd broken a few times)

So my biggest problem is space (isn't everyones?) and needing to keep the Green Thing and the Rally Monza garaged means that driveway working is the consequence and I'm getting a little old for that and Mrs BC gets a little pissy when I cut cars up on the drive.

Well just before Xmas a friend agreed to store the Lotus for me (once he cleared his garaged) and on Sunday the Lotus finally moved to it's three month holiday home leaving me with a space in the garage......

Tonight I replaced the starter motor on the Monza, chucked a gallon of fuel in the tank and after nearly flattening the battery she coughed into life - blackened the house wall and made sure no-one locally got an early night as well as fogging out the street and removing most of my eyebrows with the spit back from the carbs - yeah she's not been run for a while.

Once running it dragged it's sorry ass into the garage under it's own steam (it beats pushing the bloody thing)

Well that was easier than I'd thought it would be so I started on it

Sills are pretty shot

But after one evening

Front screen is out (unbroken)

All the plastic windows are out and the sunroof is now a hole as is the plastic tailgate

just the soft firnishings to remove from the interior and I can fire up the plasma cutter.........

Did I mention that a Monza and a Commodore B share the same wheelbase?
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

bstardchild

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
Had an afternoon in the garage making friends with my plasma cutter - brilliant bit of kit......

And when I let the fumes out of the garage

Coming along slowly
Cheers

BC

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 10:35:09 PM »
Hahaha!!! What a legend!!!!!

Bloody good idea though!!!!!!

I like what I say and I say what I bloody well like!!!!

bstardchild

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 12:39:56 AM »
Hahaha!!! What a legend!!!!!

Bloody good idea though!!!!!!

I'm a bit further ahead on another forum that you haven't visited
Cheers

BC

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »
Ian.... you're feckin crazy bud!

Don't ever change! LOL

bstardchild

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »
Ian.... you're feckin crazy bud!

Don't ever change! LOL

So you want to see more?
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »
While I grab some updates

I was tempted by this

kinda reminds me of this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3y7ylpqO8&list=PL12C0C916CECEA3BC

But I think if I drove the Monza down the street like it is now I'd be dobbed in by several people
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 08:29:58 AM »
OK a compilation of updates

Finished of cutting the back end off (left a little chassis rail just in case I need it)

Apologies for the rubbish picture quality - garage camera batteries died and my mobile phone camera isn't quality

Added the first extra brace

Other side brace is in

Normal service is resumed by garage camera after a night off

Measurement time next - before adding less weight hopefully on Saturday as on the plus side it seems I have a free day in the garage

Downside is the tea fairy (Mrs BC) is going to be at work - still 3rd world problems and all that - it's not like I can't make my own tea ;)

So critical dimensions on the Commodore

Inside edge of A Pillar across the car from one side to the other

1390 mm

Inside edge of the door shut closest to the opening end of the door to same place the other side

1390 mm

Inside edge of the edge of the rear panel next to the wheel arch to same place the other side

1390 mm

Inside the boot (inside edge of the wheel arch where it meets the body

Any guesses........ Yep 1390 mm

Did a load of height measurements from Sill top to check out roll cage clearances as well front cross bar on the cage I think is going to give me issues so may have to replace that with a straight bar
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »
A week with the flu sucks especially when you want to make progress

However at last I felt well enough to get back at it

so front end was the target

That's cleaned that up nicely - I have no idea where the inner wings are going to meet so minimum metal removed

First job remove the mounts for the "removable" rear brace (If I didn't I'd either have to cut a lot of metal out of the parcel shelf to get the shell over or the shell would sit on them and not go all the way - easier to remove now)

Then clean all the old paint, waxoil, makers rust proofing from the inside of the sills both sides and weld up some trim holes for the door step covers which are long gone

Holes be gone

Break out the red oxide

An of course repeat on the other side

I think this is the other side - hard to tell!!

Old passenger seat mounts removed

And the bulkhead edge trimmed and a little more paint to protect

Painting made a change from cutting and grinding - I can remove a strip off the edge with a strip disc just before welding but at least it stops it going f'rusty.

Next jobs (from the plan)

- clean up the welds on the cage
- give it a clean/de-rust and paint it as it's difficult to paint in a lot of places when a shell is on top of it.
- Clean the floor pans and grind back a couple of repair patches
- Finish the rear inner arches and stitch weld the shock turrets

Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:46 AM »
Well today the other half of the jigsaw arrived home (end of March)

Liberated from it's storage place (it's been there a long while)

Loaded (quite easy with a power winch but the tyres were struggling to hold much air - picture below shows the side where air was staying in the rubber - other side had splits in the tyre walls that you could put your fingers in)

@Gewy providing the tug and trailer (Technically the tug was provided by his lovely wife Gillian as it's her Pathfinder that got borrowed) 

So a little distance to cover and the Commodore was home

Gravity provided the input to get it off the trailer but pushing a car with two flat tyres up a drive with a slope was gonna be a bit tough......

So the first thing that needed to be done was - a wheel swap obviously :D

Cheeky picture with the Monza looking at it's sexy new bodywork

Then bonnet removal as it needs four hands followed by a final push into the garage

Monza wrapped for temporary driveway storage

Then I got stuck into to mucking it out........
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »
Well a bit more progress this week

Front screen is out (un broken and with the screen rubber intact) - the rubber has seen better days but they are silly money and normally on a Monza I chose to sacrifice either glass or rubber and never try to save both - double win with the commodore

The rear side windows are also out - more on this later!

It takes up less floor space this way up

If that's on the floor then

So I finished removing the trim from around the rear windows and it came away without damage - not sure if I will use it or not but it gives me options and I'm sure someone else who is more "concors" will find it useful if I don't use it myself

Anyway the three lower screws holding the trim on both sides had to be ground away (On a Monza they are normally completely dissolved) so that was a good sign

This is what was underneath the trim

Driver side

Passenger side

And then I had a close look at the windscreen aperture

Effectively in Monza terminology I have just won the lottery and been asked out for a drink by Nicole Scherzinger and Mrs BC has said sure it's fine go have fun!!!!

Oh and the doors are off using the Door pin extraction tool of doom

Soon had me this (bear in mind the door pins are very likely to be the originals and have been in the hinges for 43 years)

It's getting to the stage where I'm going to have to knock up a quick dolly so I can drop the suspension and wheels off the car and still keep the shell mobile while I do a few repairs and also remove the floor.

Up to date now with stuff I've shared on the Club forum
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »
This weekend I've been mainly making bumpers........ (I'll add more pictures when they are finished)

Bumpers on a track car might not really be essential - it's not supposed to be a contact sport but I think the de-bumpered look is a little bare and unfinished

The full size bumpers I had with the car are a little beaten up in places and also horribly rusty with chrome peeling in areas - they also had rotten rubber over-riders as well as a rubber trim on the front edge that was hanging off in places so that had to go

So I planned to quarter bumper them - so chopped out the middle section of both. Then I mig'd up the holes that I wouldn't need all the existing fixings to the brackets that hold them to the car were seized solid and so I chopped off the nuts and then found some M8 coach bolts in B&Q that would provide the new fixing bolts for the mounts.

What I didn't want to do was end up with quarter bumpers that looked chopped ie a flat plate on the cut end that finished it off badly

So I took some inspiration in Alf's (ABS Club member and serial Opel restorer) old car

Here you can see he's cut them a little longer and then curved the ends round at the cut to finish them neatly (I have a sneaky feeling he's welded up the mounting apertures/holes on the front end too)

My issue was I'd removed the wings and chopped of the front of the car so garden table and chair was employed to make a dummy front so I could check, measure, measure again and then cut with confidence

With bumpers just laid in place (not in the right place I hasten to add but I couldn't be bothered to fix them on properly for the umptenth time!!)

And a better shot of the profile (well nearly finished profile - some dressing up of the welds required)

And inside edge showing holes welded up (used by the bolts for the rubber trim)

Alf ran a full size rear bumper but I'm adopting the same chopping technique on the rear to finish the bumpers just after the rear light cluster ends

Lesson to you all if you going to car shows where the car is going to get papped remember to shut doors and boots as it spoils the lines on the car if you leave them open

My initial plan was to drill a new mounting hole for the bumper support on the back panel however that proved to be difficult due to the light cluster supports inside the boot but luckily I could reverse the existing centre mounts and then hide it all under the curved end.

The rears are finished just forgot to take some pictures

So there you have it a weekend spend cutting and welding
Cheers

BC

opelnz

• OpelForum NZ
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »
Good progress Ian!

Love Alf's Commodore. You wouldn't think it was the same car as the burgundy one at the start of your thread, when I owned it. Maybe I should have bought it back off him when I had the chance.
Carlton Diamond x2

bstardchild

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »
Good progress Ian!

Not as good as I wanted - it's slow going at times - it's gonna get a little slower too as I need to build a rolling frame to support the car when I remove the axle and front clip

Not like I haven't built a few before

Built one for a Mini (spits) resto that took up half my garage for 5 years as more and more of the original got replaced

And another for the Rally Monza

Unfortunately I can't borrow it because it's still in use

And I need a slightly different design this time as I can only support the Commodore on the sills - along the whole length

Love Alf's Commodore. You wouldn't think it was the same car as the burgundy one at the start of your thread, when I owned it. Maybe I should have bought it back off him when I had the chance.

I think you should have bought it - he did a fantastic job of it - nicest "modified Resto" on a Commodore I have ever seen
Cheers

BC

opelnz

• OpelForum NZ
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 09:16:15 PM »
Was very tempted, Ian, but had to consider how much had been changed and what a meal the compliance people would make of it.
Carlton Diamond x2

bstardchild

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
Well it's arrived (found thanks to Stephen Day and Collected on Friday on the last day of the family holiday and delivered from Germany care of "utterpiffle" Chris from Retrorides)

In other news I think the rear bumpers are pretty much how I want them - little bit of adjustment on the brackets and a little fettling on the shape

Nice and tight on the body care of a bit of chopping and Portamig action

Cheers

BC

opelnz

• OpelForum NZ
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »
I've checked and I do have a spare front spoiler, Ian. Needs a bit of a degrease, and there's a slight crack in bottom edge of one side, but in good condition overall. I'll get some photos and send them to you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:57:37 AM by opelnz »
Carlton Diamond x2

bstardchild

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »
I've checked and I do have a spare front spoiler, Ian. Needs a bit of a degrease, and a slight crack in bottom edge of one side, but in good condition overall. I'll get some photos and send them to you.

Thanks Neville - appreciate that
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 08:15:20 PM »
So tar pads....... What a cow they are to remove

Found some holes on the drivers side - not a problem for me - bad news for mapblue as he may need the floors

Bucket of tar

And I blacked the bumpers

Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
Anyway back to the task(s) in hand

Finished the tar pad removal

Of course to do it all the heater unit needed to come out

So take that out the dash had to come out

Drivers side floor has two holes - shame really but only a very local repair required

Still waiting for steel and I've got to go away next week (Sun-Fri) with work so I'm running out of things I can do till the car is on a dolly
Cheers

BC

opelnz

• OpelForum NZ
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 05:38:16 AM »
Email sent
Carlton Diamond x2

bstardchild

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
Email sent

Yeah I got 4 emails but I think my email provider regards them as hostile and refuses to allow me to view the pictures.
Cheers

BC

opelnz

• OpelForum NZ
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 10:52:54 AM »
Bloody computers!  >:(

Here's the pics anyway

Carlton Diamond x2