Author Topic: Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - back from the dead  (Read 34230 times)

bstardchild

• Wanted: Life
Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - back from the dead
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:07:08 PM »
OK - It's not a Carlton........... But it's an Opel and it predates Carltons by a few years

I've been after one for as long as I can remember, when I used to go to Billing for the VBOA Rally you used to see loads of them and they were seriously good looking motors and ripe for a whole host of modifications.....

Now I've only seen one recently and that belongs to a fellow ABS member...... and I'd pretty much given up hope of ever finding one at a price I could afford and in a restorable condition.......

Anyway out of the blue a member found one in Bristol

For sale. Opel Commodore "B" 2 door coupe 1972, K reg, tax exempt. This car has been off the road since 1984 (tax disc shows 1984). The car appears to be complete (it even has the flying saucer shaped hubcaps) and I would say is restoreable. The colour is gold. There is some rust around the body and some surface rust on some of the panels, so would need repairs and a respray, but it is really not too bad. The engine is not running ( I think the distributor cap is broken).
The car has recently been towed out of its garage, so it does roll. I know little more about the car, I just met the owner and he wanted to pass it on to someone who would do something with it , as he has not managed to do anything to in in the last 20 years.  I think it could be bought for £100.
The car is in Chipping Sodbury near Bristol. Please call the owner (Alan) on 01454 XXXXXX.

Well expressed an interest in the car but it was a bloody long way to go to look at it and I asked if anyone closer could have a butchers and maybe take some pics for me - needless to say one fine chap did exactly that........

- It appears this one has been waiting for me (the tax disc is a big clue)

- Taken off the road cos it needed new rings/pistons and driven into a garage this is the first time in a while that it's seen daylight although this picture shows it's probably seen a fair bit in the past

Ticks most of the boxes (unfortunately it's a GS not a GS/E but on the other side of the coin it's a 4 spd stick shift rather than a slush box)

All the pics here (it's not for the faint hearted)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3169413

But at this stage there were other logistics to consider

- getting to my house from Bristol
- what the hell was I gonna do with it?
- Did I really need another project?

I needed to have a think about it

Well I did and a ABS member on here too who I won't name (unless he wants me too or he posts up on here) offered to collect and deliver too if I covered his petrol *coughs Diesel

I did the deal and the car is now mine

So some random pics of cars in far better condition to show you what they should look like

The project plan (This may change)

I need to make a proper plan of what the heck I am gonna do with it....... The Monza project went horribly off track somewhere down the line and although I am very pleased with the end result it's not in line with the original plan (far from it!!!)
This one is a long way of being even started so plenty of time to mull over the options and decide what the end look should be......

But for the record at the moment it's pretty much decided that it will be along the following lines

- Convert to 24V (std tuning mods and in powdercoated black same as the Monza except colour coded spark plug cover plate and lettering highlighted same way)

or

- Late model Senator 3.0 12V and slap a set of tripple webbers on it for a giggle

Either way

- R25 gearbox for a 5th speed and no expensive bills for flywheels - It's not gonna be a performance car if i can help it

- Get it sensibly low - weeeeeeeeeeeds low

- De-chrome it

- Black badges

- Black wheels (I have a choice of these  :wink: )

- Colour Yellow or Orange

- Fit GS/E 6 Dial Dash (gotta find one of these and I bet thats gonna be fun!!!

- Get the interior re-trimmed - I've got to see a man about that........

And by way of inspiration if it even got close to the way these look I wouldn’t be unhappy

V8 Commodore

Now how would that look in Yellow and it really needs black wheels

24V Commodore

It sooooooo needs black wheels

Another

See I'm really liking this orange and black idea although this one isn't I really like the clean simple lines

So there you go bugger all to do with Carltons.................. But thanks ColonelK for allowing it to be posted here

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:02:46 AM by bstardchild »
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy – honestly -  as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

ian

Re: Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - New Project
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
all the same family,
tell ya something that car does look easy,easyer than the one down the road from me any how.
ian
Classic Car Insurance www.Hagertyinsurance.co.uk    iarthur@hagerty.com
0844 824 1130

Tetleysmooth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 04:59:33 AM »
Don't forget BC, my mate in Colchester has a 49k 12 valve lump sitting in his garage. Selling for £50 I believe.
I don't know what year the donor car was though.
He's on this site under the name ' robs omega'.
They're a lovely looking car BC and I'm looking forward to your progress reports.
Don't go too 'Starsky & Hutch' on it though.
The maroon one in the pics looks about right.
Mind you, a set of period wolfrace slot mags wouldn't go amiss.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:05:18 AM by Tetleysmooth »
Nils desparandum illegitimi carborundum.

carltonman

• Aberdeen, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 06:10:33 AM »
She looks pretty solid bar the lower rear end.
Keep us informed of the progress.
Real nice car by the way!

bstardchild

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:26:35 AM »
Don't forget BC, my mate in Colchester has a 49k 12 valve lump sitting in his garage. Selling for £50 I believe.
I don't know what year the donor car was though.
He's on this site under the name ' robs omega'.

I would only be interested if it was a late model engine - solid fuel rail and gold rocker cover are the clues

They're a lovely looking car BC and I'm looking forward to your progress reports.
Don't go too 'Starsky & Hutch' on it though.

Ignore the stripes on the other orange cars - if I go orange or yellow it will be sans stripes

The maroon one in the pics looks about right.

Thats an ABS members car

Mind you, a set of period wolfrace slot mags wouldn't go amiss.

Yeah but I'd have to paint em black to be in the theme and that would be wrong - only wheel that l like in silver too  ;)
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy – honestly -  as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 09:49:58 AM »
a set of apliance alloys in chrome and black would be ace!!!!!!!!!!liking this project a lot btw wicked motors very much a timeless classic imho
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »
Go for it mate - looks like another future stunner!

Pedro

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 03:17:37 PM »

As I started reading the pst, I was thinking "I bet he goes for an orange and black theme".

And bugger me with a fishfork, Baldrick - I was right!

Nice work, Ian - bet it's a right monster when finished.

bstardchild

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »

As I started reading the pst, I was thinking "I bet he goes for an orange and black theme".

And bugger me with a fishfork, Baldrick - I was right!

Nice work, Ian - bet it's a right monster when finished.

I am nothing if not predicatable!!!!!
Cheers

BC

colonelk

• Skiddy skidz FTW
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »
That blue one with white wheels is roight up my street  ;D

Looking good chap. Hope it doesnt give you too many nasty surprises  :)

Ive always wanted an FD victor..... but dont really have the skills to look after one / fix one bodywork wise :(

P.s. heres one in yellow!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:41:47 PM by colonelk »
Zee goggles, zhey do nothing!

ian

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 07:31:25 PM »
old opels rule dont they.
after owning capris old bmws rover nothing looks as good as a late 70`s early 80`s coupe.
even better with 6 cyclinders
Classic Car Insurance www.Hagertyinsurance.co.uk    iarthur@hagerty.com
0844 824 1130

bstardchild

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

No ta - I likes this thread - nothing happened for a while till around 2008

Well I was always concerned about the vinyl roof on my commodore while it was in storage - it hides all manner of horrors - I had nightmares of peeling it off and the roof skin going with it......

I went to see it the other day as Ivor (owner of the field where it's been stored) had asked me if I wanted him to fit in a few small jobs on the car as he had a couple of slack days..... I'd said when rwdrules dropped the car there if he ever got a bit quiet he could start doing a few bits to the car any welding - cos mine is rubbish - and stuff like that - that was 2 years ago and he hasn't had a single slack day!!!! 

Anyway roof was lifting and blistered

So it was removed  ;D

So what was it like  :o

One spot I don't like by the roof gutter

Other side

Actually worse

but not too bad but it will hole if a knotted whel goes near it so it's on his list to cut out and french in new steel

Doesn't look like they put much paint on the roof before they stick the vinyl on it  :roll: So all things condidered it's solid up top......

Now inderneath well thats a different story for another day  :lol:
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 09:54:01 AM »
Continuing the catch up

So anyway I'd been doing lots of planing for a long while and a plan had been coming together but what I lacked was time and as several people here know my welding skills are pretty shocking and this is going to need some welding - Utterpiffle if you are reading this you gonna see how much  ;D (we have a little side bet for fun see)

So whats it need

Well a new rear valance was always needed

Rear lower sections of the wings (both sides)

Little repair patch in front of the rear wheels

Looking inside the car maybe a little more than little

And definately some work on the sills

But the nice bit was most of the interior was removed (which was knackered and never going to be used anyway) the floors and shuts as well as the doors are all in fine fettle

looks a bit nasty by a grommet on the rear wheel arch but again small stuff

I am so pleased that the Roof is good

So thats where I am just waiting for Ivor to have some space on his ramp to look at the rest of the car underneath and meantime I need to search for some panels but only as much as I needed when I got the car  ;D

Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
Hell fire it's on the ramp

So outer sills required - fabrication job but I cannot believe it but the inner sills are totally solid

Rubbish pic but you should be able to see inside the sill - it's rock solid

Real valance and lower rear quarters already sourced repair panels

Just a bit scabby on the chassis rails at the front

Floorpan

Hopefully Ivor will have chance to sort some stuff while I am on my hols
Cheers

BC

bstardchild

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
OK welding time - not me Ivor from "Red Barn Hot Rods" is doing some work on the car for me (his welding is better than mine, and I haven't got enough of that time thing spare so I sub contracting and funding some progress  ;D)

Rear lower quarters replaced

Rear valance replaced and exhaust cut out welded up (side exit only fank you)

Tank fell out and fell apart removed plenty of space for a 9 gal fuel cell in alloy or stainless when I find someone clever enough to make one  ::)

Arches need some work but as they may not be staying I'm leaving them for now

Not as much as I thought might need spacers  ;D

Passenger side Sill almost finished (used Ford parts - oh well  ;D)

Drivers side next - cannot believe how good the middle sill is (FFS it's been parked on grass for two years it should have disolved by now)

Lots still to do

Cheers

BC

bstardchild

Re: Opel Commodore 1972 2.8 GS - back from the dead
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
Oh and I'm just going to leave a few more pictures here some clues in every one

Points for guessing what when how why etc

That'll do
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:47:44 AM by bstardchild »
Cheers

BC

chrismec

• Poole Dorset
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
Nice to see some progress on this BC, some good quality work done there, keep it up and keep the pics flowing :)

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »
I don't care that it isn't a Carlton. It is one seriously  8) 8) 8) 8) retro motor. Considering the age and where it has been stood, it is remarkably solid. I'll be following this with avid interest.
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

bstardchild

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »
I don't care that it isn't a Carlton. It is one seriously  8) 8) 8) 8) retro motor. Considering the age and where it has been stood, it is remarkably solid. I'll be following this with avid interest.

When it all starts getting busy after the summer I'll try to keep this thread up to date
Cheers

BC

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »
I remember this one now...  serious amounts of potential here.

My interpretation of plans:
LSD - possibly recon, new oil at least.
Roll cage.
Wide arch kit.
Rebuilt 24v Engine - poss 3.7 Lotus.
Lightened flywheel with custom clutch kit.
Megasquirt or similar.

Eggplant?

bstardchild

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »
I remember this one now...  serious amounts of potential here.

;D

My interpretation of plans:
LSD - possibly recon, new oil at least.
Roll cage.
Wide arch kit.
Rebuilt 24v Engine - poss 3.7 Lotus.
Lightened flywheel with custom clutch kit.
Megasquirt or similar.

Eggplant?

Not bad - real close Murph - real close

Complete Monza suspension under a commodore (I don't want live axle and all the issues it has and it's taken me a lot of effort to get a set up I like on my Monza - I'm not throwing that away now)
Roll Cage - 8 point
Definately arched but not like the pictures
3.7 24V (lotus crank and rods, JR Pistons 11:1 comp ratio ported head and a nice set of cams
Lightened TTV Flywheel 4 kgs and Audi S3 Pressure Plate
Side exit exhaust
Plastic windows

Where you went wrong is fueling - Huge Buckets - six of em  ;) (50mm DCOE's my std 40's aren't big enough

Target BHP 320
Target Weight 1000 kgs

(I'd like less but I'm realistic enought to realise it's taken me 4 years to get my Monza down from 1600 kgs to 1200 kgs so first pass I'll settle for 1000 kgs - give me something to improve later)

Parts required none - got the lot all I have to do is build it - even got another set of wheels (8.5J split rims) with an offset that won't go under the Monza but will go under an arched commo
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:17:54 AM by bstardchild »
Cheers

BC

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »
OK... but where does the eggplant fit?

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 05:05:35 AM »
Sounds like this is going to be awesome
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

bstardchild

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »
OK... but where does the eggplant fit?

Only picture I could find with six buckets  ;D
Cheers

BC

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »
  Aaaaah ... *groooans*