Author Topic: Water in the footwell.  (Read 218 times)

djbthatsme

Water in the footwell.
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »
The weather is damp, wet and miserable its that time of the year so the old problems returned.

There is obvious wetness in the front passengers footwell which was brought to my attention by the local garage that looks after my Carlton. At the moment I've placed a damp catching unit in the footwell to do the obvious as a temporary solution.

The water level hasn't dropped in the header tank so at the moment I don't think there's a leak in the cooling system.

Apart from anything else the underneath of the car needs checking out to see if there are any holes (rusted areas) letting water in. If I remember correctly water can also enter the car if the drains from the roof are blocked - I need to know more about this.

As anyone had first hand experience of this ?

0795omega

Re: Water in the footwell.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »
comes in bad on the drivers side on mine after heavy rain i reckon its windscreen seal on mine has become leaky? had that on one of my previous carltons, scuttle drains are clear rodded with a wire coat hanger! no heater matrix leaks and corrosion isnt that bad in inner front arch area can sometimes enter through a rust hole at rear of arch splash sheild! good luck with your hunt djb!

chris

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:27:53 PM »
Hello DJB, my thoughts.

The heater matrix is one of the most common causes, but you would be loosing coolant and you can usually smell it, it seems like thats probably not the problem.

Are the leaf grilles clear at each end of the scuttle, clean them out and even as 0795 said poke a wire right down to check the water can get out. If the grilles are blocked water can build up and get in at a few places.

Unfortunately rot is one of the common causes, especially just below where the wiring harness passes through the bulkhead at both sides in the scuttle area. Its difficult to fix properly, but if its minor some sealant could be a fix for a while.
After that rot in lots of places around the footwells, the only way to check is to take out the front wheelarch plastic liners, this can reveal horrors.

One cause that surprised me was on an Astra I had many years ago, it was soaked inside, and it took a while but I found it was caused by not having the plastic door liner intact behind the door card. I found it hard to believe but proved that was the cause and fixed it successfully. Your doors are designed knowing that water gets in, and it should be guided out, anything missing can let it run inwards.

I've never had a sunroof drain problem but it sounds feasible, there are 4 off drains, one at each corner of the sunroof, I'm not sure how easy they are to get to but giving them a poke out with wire might be a good idea.

Hopefully you can find it and its nothing serious.
It can be a difficult problem to find the cause of.

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:56:10 PM »
Thanks chris and 0795omega,

The scuttles are clear of leaves and debris so the problem isn't there.

When you talk about pushing a wire down, would that be through the scuttles where the leaves generally collect. Could a straightened wire coat hanger be used and would I be able to see the wire exiting near the bottom of the wing?   

My car is a CDX so it has a sunroof meaning that any drains coming from this would need checking as you've suggested. Would I be able to see where the wire exits?

Checking and rectifying the above together with the wheel arch plastic liners and the wiring harnesses passing through the bulkhead should create more than adequate amusement. Hopefully after this the problem will be solved. Thanks guys for your useful advice I'll let you know how I get on.

0795omega

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:02:43 PM »
yes those those little leaf grills at the rear of bulkhead at base of windsreen in eighther corner come out but be carefull not to drop it down into cavity,did that on mine once had to fish it out with a bit of sticky tape on a stick! i did mine with a oil syphon pump tube it went straight down to inner sill and came out of drain hole at the bottom showing all was clear! wire coat hanger is good though! not sure where sunroof drains exit,front and rear inner sills i reckon?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:05:07 PM by 0795omega »

chris

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
The front sunroof drains exit inside the sills, unbelievably stupid but true, like they wanted the sills to have a feed of salt spray.
The rear ones are behind the back bumper, you can see them inside the boot if you move the carpet on the right side and the spare wheel on the other side.

You will never poke something all the way through, but I think just confirming that the top of the drains is clear in the corner of the sunroof cartridge will be enough, the problem will be seeing them, I havent checked but I think the rear ones will be impossible to check as they are way back in the roof. I suppose you could blast compressed air up the rear ones easily enough, you can pull them up into the boot easily to do it.

I could explain where the leaf grilles vent too, its not a great design and there are two paths out for the water. Personally what I do is pop the grille out as described above and pop a hose in there, blast away, huge amounts of water should flow out at the bottom of the wing (yes, they feed salty water to the wing) and the hose should take lots of debris with it. Well worth doing from time to time.

If the hose water goes down then its not blocked, if it goes down and some goes inside the car (could be a lot) then your rot is behind the wing. Worth doing, if the water ends up inside you know the car has hidden rot, hopefully its not that but if it is I can provide pics of the area and explain what to look for.

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
That's some really good tips chris and 0795omega.

Thanks for your help.