Author Topic: rare 3.0 12v cdx estate on e-bay  (Read 150 times)

0795omega

rare 3.0 12v cdx estate on e-bay
« on: December 30, 2018, 09:07:04 PM »
manual box as well,not many of these fellows about im sure? looks good mechanically but needs a bit of welding owner reckons to get a test? 995 start bid not bad if could get it for that i think?

djbthatsme

Re: rare 3.0 12v cdx estate on e-bay
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »
Hi 0795omega,
First of all let me wish you a happy new year and please continue to subscribe to the site.  There's not many of us keeping this site open, it would be a shame to see it close because of lack of interest.

Turning to the car in question ie the 3.0L carlton.
I am loathe to commend any vehicle where clearly it is presented in such an untidy manner as this car is. Clearly it is in the process of refurbishment but even so making it look more presentable would have done it more good than bad. A parallel could so easily be drawn between the way the car looks and its implied condition. Its my belief that there could be more to do on this car than meets the eye - which is generally the case. Therefore its more to do with what there is to be done rather than what has been done.

The seller  proclaims there are a number of tasks to be done and names them but that doesn't mean that there isn't any other work to be done, which the seller may or may not be aware of. My advice under these circumstances is for the car to be stringently examined to determine exactly what the condition of the vehicle is and what is required to bring it up to standard. Then and only then can the work be initially costed to provide a reasonably accurate evaluation of the undertaking.

On a personal basis it would be difficult for me to purchase this car at its current price due to the implied cost of rectification.
Many years ago I gave up servicing and repairing vehicles both as a living and a pastime so this for me would be a "bridge to far". Take for instance the cost of a respray- what would that be?

I leave this as a prime example  knowing that there would be more - I recently paid 600 for welding and obviously continue to shell out for other costs to keep my Carlton on the road.

My beliefs are that the car should be saved, otherwise they will be extinct, and an enthusiast should hopefully buy it to bring it up to scratch over time. But the seller should be realistic in terms of pricing, if he's offered the lowest price he should gleefully accept it.

chris

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
My thought is that the seller has declared some rot, and my experience tells me that this could mean that it has a large amount of rot, some of it difficult to repair.

I'm sure its saveable, but only by someone who does their own work as the cost of paying someone to do a good job of properly repairing a Carlton with all the usual rust would be huge. Many times the cost of the car.

I'd like to see it saved, if it was a 24v and I had more spare time I'd do it because a 24v estate was always on my want list and I've never had one. Hopefully someone will take this on.

0795omega

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:30:23 PM »
happy new year to you too djb, i usually take it as red when buying a car of that particular vintage its going to be much worse a state than description or pictures let on but i look at it knowing this is a very rare carlton now and like chris says if someone did most of the work themselves it would be more financial sense,really its a case of true enthusiasts need only apply for this one and keep it forever, we all pour money into our cars to keep them alive and well and this one has fell on hard times and doesnt deserve to have, hope a fan saves it!

24Vdiamond

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:44:23 PM »
As with all Carlton & Senator models they rot from the inside out! if there is a bit of rust showing on the surface it will be a lot worse underneath but then all us enthusiasts know that already, It would be a nice project though if you could do the work yourself
280,000 miles of 24V fun and slowly dissolving!!

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
Hello all and a happy new year to you 24Vdiamond and chris,
It seems like we're all in agreement regarding the state of the Carlton estate no doubt because of our knowledge and experience with the marque. The Carltons are great looking cars when they're at their best but to get them and keep them there can be a continuous battle. At least I feel it is for me.

No sooner is one problem solved but another arrives, then they are old cars so perhaps this should be expected. I'm optimistic that the recent problems with the starting and running of the engine have been overcome but unfortunately there are other issues that need ironing out, which I'll post on the site.

I'll close by saying thankyou 24Vdiamond and chris for your comments they, like 0795omega, help to keep the site functioning otherwise we would lose a wealth of information that must be useful to existing Carlton\Senator owners.