Author Topic: Thermo-viscuous fan  (Read 64 times)

djbthatsme

Thermo-viscuous fan
« on: November 07, 2018, 02:23:27 PM »
Does a thermo-viscuous fan that fits a Vauxhall Carlton Diesel also fit a 2.0 Litre Vauxhall Carlton petrol engine car.

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
Re: Thermo-viscuous fan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
I don't know. But if it does then if it is old it probably is rather unreliable.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

djbthatsme

Re: Thermo-viscuous fan
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply PeterC,
According to my research there are a number of sales outlets that are selling new thermo-viscuous fans for many different model cars. I was able to pick up the part number (if its correct) for a Carlton fan that's located in Germany. Having a confrontation with a German seller some time ago (starter motor) I'm reluctant to buy a fan from Germany. There are also options in the UK which I need to check out.

The fans are new but to refurbish a used unit does not seem to be a difficult task on the surface of it. My initial evaluation indicates that the fan would either be leaking through its seal or the fluid as lost its potency and would need to be changed after the fan is thoroughly cleaned.

Another point to be considered is the life span of a thermo-viscuous fan. The fan on my car as lasted until now which implies that a refurbished or new fan could last about the same mileage. My car is a J reg so it is 27 years old with K190 on the clock. It is fair to assume that the car won't last another 27 years nor travel another K190. But if we were to assume that it did last another K190 it would approximately be 38 years at the current rate of usage ie K5 per year.