Author Topic: Overheating in cool weather  (Read 290 times)

djbthatsme

Overheating in cool weather
« on: October 18, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
Travelling back from Wales the other day I noticed that the temp. gauge reading was slowly moving toward the upper limit causing me to keep a sharp eye on its progress.

The outside temperature was cool with rain and slight wind with the traffic moving along albeit quite slowly at times. All the vitals had been checked over before starting the journey ensuring that the oil, water etc was OK and the car was good to go, so there shouldn't be any problems on this front. Yet when the car was travelling slowly in traffic the temperature reading would rise from its normal position below the 90 mark to the top reading on the scale quite quickly. This gave me cause for concern and even though the outside temperature was cool at one point I was considering pulling over onto the hard shoulder to allow the car to cool down. This seemed to be silly bearing in mind how cool it was.

Fortunately the problem was resolved soon after when the traffic picked up momentum and the temperature reading dropped significantly to its normal running state. The slow running traffic congestion did not occur again and nor did the temperature rise either.

It seems to me that the Thermo-viscuous cooling fan may not have been working when it should have been - any thoughts fellow members.

DKT1

Re: Overheating in cool weather
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
Yep! It's the viscous fan packing up.
Had the same on mine several years ago.
Modified it to an electric one, no problems since then ;D
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:36:39 PM »
I doubt the Thermo Viscous fan is working - time for an electric conversion.

I gave up on mine and those nice Gents from TC HQ in Dartford fitted a rather powerful Electric fan, relay and temp sensor. I was replacing the radiator anyway as its small leak was getting less small. My temp guage seemed to be reading low so I was not getting alarmed but I worked out the temp would creep up in queues London. The electric fan kicks in at about 90deg even though the new sensor is set at 100deg so I know the temp guage was/is not keeping me correctly informed !.

Thanks Murph and Carlton Mad.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:38:18 PM by PeterC »
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
Thanks PeterC,
Have you any more details of whats been fitted eg manufacturer, product etc.

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
If I remember correctly I was told the fan was off a Frontera - it more or less bolts straight on in front of the radiator. I think there is a carlton aircon fan that fits and is quieter.

The thermostat was from ebay. This one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=200929164720&_sacat=0
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.