Author Topic: fuel pipes under car 2.0i  (Read 392 times)

0795omega

fuel pipes under car 2.0i
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:30:58 PM »
seems i have a slight weep here under the car positioned about where the off side rear door is, thought could smell petrol the other day! anyone done this job? looks a bit of a pig!

24Vdiamond

Re: fuel pipes under car 2.0i
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
I think most jobs under a car are a pig! unless you have access to a ramp, I should think the steel pipes have rusted through, not sure if there are any steel to rubber joints on the 2.0 cars which can be another failure point, if you change the pipes be carefull of the plastic clips that hold the pipes to the floor you cant get them any more so be prepared!
280,000 miles of 24V fun and slowly dissolving!!

0795omega

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »
yeh the plastic clips do look a bit frail bit like its owner!!

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
it's not unknown for the fuel filter to rust and leak if old,or get punctured by a stone, plus that area has the fuel pump flange on the tank,several rubber hoses.the filler neck ,top of the tank may be rusted
also, worth checking for a leak with the engine running so all lines are under pressure
all pipes can be reached without even jacking the car up if you lie on your back and stick your hand/arm under , but once you found the leak . a set of ramps would be helpful (and not that expensive or borrow some ) the rear wheels of a carlton go on my ramps ,the front wheels won't as the front bumper is in the way  :(
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

0795omega

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »
hi dave the tank isnt that old so all good there! it seems to be one of the metal pipes running under the car as the drip marks on road are right level with off side rear door and had a look up there and when engines been off a while starts leaking slightly from there,my own fault really m.o.t. man mentions rusty fuel pipes as an advisory every year!! shame on me,thought on occasion this week shes cranking over two or three times more than usual before starting thats the leak im guessing! still drives beatifully though!