Author Topic: ignition barrel removal  (Read 418 times)

chrisP

ignition barrel removal
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »
Hi everyone, I have recently lost the keys to my 93 Diplomat. Fortunately I have a donor Carlton to take from. I removed the barrel from the spares car today, which was a relatively easy job - removed column casing and steering wheel, then using a rivet shaft released the barrel. There is one major hurdle to cross though. The key needs to be in position II to be able to release. How do I do this with no keys?

So far my only plan is to use a drill bit the size of the hole where you release the barrel from and try and chew away at the retaining clip holding the barrel in.

I know I'm being optimistic, but, I know somewhere in my house there is the spare key, but we had a complete new kitchen fitted last year - that's when the key disappeared - but it was on a Carlton keyring with a spare petrol cap key, so it's not as though it's a loose key. Anyway, ideally I'd like to try and salvage the current barrel in case the spares do turn up.

Thanks in advance. Chris.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: ignition barrel removal
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
If you've still not got it running correctly and just want to turn the ignition on to fire the engine and for testing , you can undo the grub screw , remove the electrical part of the barrel ,use a screwdriver to turn on/off
if you need to steer the car ,your probably going to have to destroy the barrel you've lost the key for and fit another
did you check the boot lock for a key number ?
or replace the entire column  :-\
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:30:59 PM by Dave the Builder »
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

chrisP

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:43:03 PM »
I haven't removed the boot lock yet, I stupidly left it in the vertical position.  :-[

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
But the back seats do fold down ,allowing access to the boot  :-\
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

chrisP

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »
I know, I'm planning to tunnel my way through at the weekend.  ;D

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »
I used a drill to go through the keyway until I could turn it with a screwdriver, then used the normal method.