Author Topic: Temperature gauge.  (Read 650 times)

djbthatsme

Temperature gauge.
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
I'm not making this up, its the turn of the temperature gauge to play a part in the long running play "My Carlton and Me".

Returning from the Royal Derby Hospital today the Temperature gauge took a turn for the worse.
The needle shot up past the highest temperature mark but I wasn't convinced it was displaying the correct temperature bearing in mind
that it was close to zero outside and there wasn't any signs of excessive heat coming from the car.
In fact there wasn't to much heat anywhere including inside the car or coming from under the bonnet.
The fact that the needle dropped to its lowest point when the ignition was turned off  (normal) then shot up over the highest point when the ignition was turned on
(before starting) indicates theres a problem.

Would this be the gauge or is there some other hidden factor.

What say you brethren?

CraigP

• Derby
Re: Temperature gauge.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »
I suspect that the wire to the temperature sender is touching earth somewhere, more than likley it will be on the engine as thats where the heat affects the wire insulation the most.

Cheers, Craig

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »
the sensor for the dash temp is on the thermostat housing ,(follow the top hose back from the rad to engine)
 it's a single wire . so pretty east to trace it back from the sensor ,
assuming the wire is still on the sensor , lucas spade connector ,falls off /gets knocked off  ;)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
Thanks for your replies CraigP and Dave the Builder,
The car was in the garage again since finding the temp gauge fault with a request to remedy the problem along with the task of topping up the oil in the diff.
Due to the fact that I was going to a funeral on Monday the car went in on Saturday which often turns out to be their busiest time. The mechanic that worked
on my car was juggling two others at the same time so its possible that he didn't even look at the temp gauge problem, which I wasn't charged for.
I was charged for topping up the oil (its been leaking) and advised that an auto electrician should look at the electrical fault.

I know where the water temp sensor is located so I shall check this out.

Thanks for your input guys, I'll keep you posted.

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
Any progress?
I'm sure it's sorted, otherwise you'd have posted again, but hey....

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply Murph,
I didn't find any fault with the wire from the water temp sensor up to the point where it is lost out of sight, so it looks like I need an auto electrician.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
test the temp sensor with a multi meter  ;)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

CraigP

• Derby
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »
Agree with the above,

I forget the actual readings at ambient but if you have a multimeter on ohms you can check the resistance of the sender, according to a bosch spec sheet a 280 series sensor should be approx 2400 ohms at 20 degrees C and 240 ohms at 80 degrees C there is a wide tolerance on these things but basically when cold it has a higher resistance than when warm. I do not know what part number your sensor is, but most NTC sensors have the same resistance curve. If you can identify the part number I can search for the data sheet.

You could also disconnect the temp sender, insulate the wire and try again, if the gauge still goes to the red then the wire is short to earth somewhere or you have something wrong with the dash.

Cheers, Craig