Author Topic: Carlton for sale in Lincolnshire  (Read 1366 times)

djbthatsme

Carlton for sale in Lincolnshire
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the burgundy coloured Carlton that is for sale via Car and Classic.
Its a 2.0L  GL that is located in Coningsby in Lincolnshire.
I've tried to send an email and also tried to phone on a number of occasions without success.

This could be a past member or someone that just likes the car and wants to sell it on for personal reasons.

All responses gratefully accepted.

0795omega

Re: Carlton for sale in Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
i noticed that aswell looks nice but only one picture of it! a bit weird that?

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
Hello 0795omega,
Apart from there being only one picture, look at the date. Unless I'm mistaken the photo was taken nearly 3 years ago in April 2015,
so much could have happened since then.

Subsequent to receiving a response to my email from the guy concerned, I have compiled and sent a list of questions to him today.
The intention is to winkle out some info. which should provide a better understanding of what we're dealing with.

I have my own suspicions, lets see what happens.

0795omega

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
i notice he has put a phone number down,he might be one of those who thinks people who e-mail and dont call are timewasters! ive found that a lot when ive e-mailed instead of phoned that quite often they didnt reply! perhaps hes just trying the water and doesnt really want to sell? only one pic from 2015 is a bit dodgy though i think!

djbthatsme

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »
Hello 0795omega,
I had rang the advertised number several times without success but eventually he did respond to my email.
As you pointed out he could be testing the water but I'm more inclined to think he could be selling the car on behalf of someone else.
Personally I'm a great believer in photos and documents to support a claim or advert. The fact that there's only one photo indicates at best that one side of the car is OK.
Then this is a gamble given that the photo was taken nearly 3 years ago. Anything could have happened to it since then. 
What about the rest of the car - needs much more clarification.

If he really wants to sell the car then I should be receiving more info soon otherwise he could be game playing.

0795omega

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
yes very true he needs to take much more pics of it than one! especially the rear arches area where doors close to show how good they are or not! hope you here a reply soon djb.

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
Hello 0795omega,
OOps what have I done. It looks like I've frightened him.
I sent the advertiser  a number of questions where he answered some but not all of them.

After he replied to my email there were obviously certain questions he avoided so I sent him an email today
asking him to provide further information including photos.

He answered my email today without providing any further info other than to say that he believed that he could have sold the car.

He was obviously a dealer confirmed by the fact that he stated that he had bought the car and did enough work to get it through its MOT
and after that it was time to move it on. Who knows he could have MOT'd the car himself or his mate could have.

There were to many unanswered questions for my liking and when I pointed out that he either had the data at hand or he could access
 it from the previous owner then he claimed that he may have sold the car.

Smells a bit in my opinion.

I'm naming him - David Crick- just in case he tries to sell a Carlton to any Total Carlton members.
There is more to this "gentleman" than meets the eye. On the surface of it I also believe that the Carlton could have underlying problems
brought about by lack of proper servicing. This was one of the issues I questioned him about which he avoided. 

0795omega

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:11 PM »
good fishing there djb! i allways think its suspect when they hide the reg plate in some ads so you cant do mot history checks or hpi etc,i noticed his one pic of it you could,nt really see its reg plate properly to carry out checks!

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
 I'ts quite common to hide the real Reg Number when posting photos of cars on-line ,
Because people search for car photos of a car they have(same make model colour) ,and put your reg number on their car
this means as far as ANPR and other checks , the car is taxed,insured and MOTed
 if your looking at a car before buying , just ask the seller for the reg so you can HPI check it .
HPI check on confused.com is 9 including checking for outstanding finance

https://vehiclehistory.confused.com/product-selection?source=CONFUSED&vrm=KP05GKD#LogbookCheck

once you have the reg of a car you can check it's mot history, if taxed etc free online

with log book loans etc ,it's worth HPI checking before handing over money for a car , even a 500 run around could have outstanding finance .

As for "dealers" , loads of people buy cars cheap from local auctions or free adds, do the minimum work (including bodges ,cover ups) to get an mot , so they can sell on the car for maximum profit .

but not every person selling a car is trying to rip you off, some great bargains to be had , but it does involve doing lots of research ,checking the car over, and even then , it's "pot luck" you don't end up with a lemon

JM2PW
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »
Thanks for your comments 0795omega and Dave the Builder,
Wise words from both of you and hopefully the info proves to be useful for other members.

Dave the Builder your  approach would probably be quicker than mine but that would have taken the fun away from me.

I did enjoy it and surely you wouldn't begrudge a fellow member some enterrtainment in his old age.

0795omega

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
update on this i see hes got it on gumtree more pics now, showing awful standard of weld repairs to rear door shuts area!

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 09:16:19 PM »
update on this i see hes got it on gumtree more pics now, showing awful standard of weld repairs to rear door shuts area!

Weld ? I can sh!t straighter than that crappy filler , bet the sills  n chassis legs are swiss cheese if the arches are like that 

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

0795omega

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 09:33:31 PM »
its a shame in a way cause the paint looks very nice on it!

0795omega

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »
see its on e-bay at the mo,says some rust on back arches! massive understatement.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »
i saw that,
makes me feel good about my wheel arches  :)
i said in an earlier post that some people do the minimum work to get an mot
now we have the reg , last mot ...
Front passenger door cannot be opened from outside the vehicle (6.2.B.1b)
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive (7.3.B.1a)
Nearside Rear Lower Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Rear Lower Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid
3 months later  :o it passed  :)
though i would class that filler as a sharp edge/fail  myself  :P
this Lincoln one's got a bid on too at 699
perhaps the bidder is up north too  :-\
sods law , the week i stick mine up for sale ,they all come out the woodwork
 (though mine has 131 watchers currently ,2000+ page views)
which will make the last few seconds of the auction interesting when people try to bid on mine  ;D
GSi rusty arches,senny rusty arches , GL (with CDX wheels )rusty arches ,an 84 mk 1 F/L rusty everything :P

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:58:06 PM by Dave the Builder »

0795omega

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »
id rather have yours than that gl dave if i was a buyer,think its hiding a multitude of sins! couldnt believe its had a bid so early on aswell, mind you he might have got a mate to have a cheeky bid to get the ball rolling? that red gsi lives near me somewhere i  drove towards it one sunday in my 94 cdx it does look really nice and original but what cracks me up with some owners is they cant be bothered to have the arches repaired properly by someone,especially when the rest of it looks that good! i find with e-bay people do follow suit when they see a car like theirs on sale,ive been looking at how many derelict condition red sierra xr4x4s and 2 xr4is are on at the mo weird coincidence there all red aswell! should,nt mention ford or sierras on here i guess,slapped rist!

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
I recently rebuilt the in-laws sierra sappire engine ,(seized water pump ,snapped cam belt, bent valves) FUN !
all done now ,about 100 for the top end kit,valves,lifters,belt etc  off ebay  8)
pointed out they should get proper insurance on it , only does 400 miles a year ,so classic agreed value would be an option

I have to work on a crappy picasso to
Family  :o  ::)
though the rest do drive vauxhall  :)
albeit ,FWD shopping carts  :P

0795omega

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 12:09:38 PM »
those pinto engines were quite tough old birds,had a few of them! trouble with family if they know youre a bit handy with motors their onto you all the time!