Author Topic: Snow and windscreen wipers.  (Read 781 times)

djbthatsme

Snow and windscreen wipers.
« on: December 11, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
Hello all,
There as to be something I can write about when I go on one of my jaunts.
This is just one of those stories that exist and perhaps a piece of advice borne out of experience that can be passed on to others.
I was in the land of song, rugby and beer (Wales) having drove down the previous day from the Midlands.

On the following morning the snow carpet was laid out over  everything that moved and didn't move painting a pure white vista.
My Carlton was no exception having been covered with about four inches of the white stuff but even though I have many years
of experience of driving this did not stand me in good stead for what I did next.

The engine was started quite easily, which was quite a joy but then I did a stupid thing DUH.
I operated the windscreen wipers without clearing the screen of snow and I'm sure most of you can guess what happened next.
One wiper moved but the other didn't, then the other did ensuring that they were out of sync with each other.
Then one stopped moving and the other took on a completely different route to its normal cycle, found to have been buckled by the
abnormal strain it was under .

What was I to do without any tools.

I drove over to my friendly local garage for help.
Outside the garage was a group of forlorn looking vehicles, no doubt the result of the current weather.
Inside the garage were several guys mimicing the look of the vehicles outside. What a demoralising looking bunch.
Darren, the garage owner, ambled towards me and I related my sad tale of woe.  Surprisingly he went straight to my car
and started to examine the wipers. I was surprised because he had a number of customers waiting before me but for
whatever reason he decided to react to my cars problem. This of course could have been the cars allure which was displayed
by Darrens admission to having owned two Carltons in days gone by and his enthusiasm to attend to mine.

Whatever the case may be he was soon engrossed in resolving the problem. The wipers were now of little if any use but like a good
little (obese - not so little) driver I kept a spare set of blades in the boot. One was changed but the other had a broken attachment (clip)
on the arm which I didn't have a spare of. Five or six minutes later I was in the car parts retailers on the high street where I bought said
attachment for 50p but gave him a 1 (money to throw away).

Within 5 minutes of returning the blade was fitted to the arm and the wipers were back in action. When I asked Darren what I owed him he
waived me away and told me I didn't owe him anything. I told him thats not good enough that he must accept a drink off me which he accepted.
No, it wasn't a "T" bag. We had a natter for 5 minutes or more and left it at that.

Its not very often we get bills like that and when we do they have to be treasured. From our conversation it was clear that Darren had been a
Carlton owner and fan so some of the cars mystique had probably rubbed off onto him. Not only as this taught me a lesson but I've also found
a good contact in the area to help me in the future should be or when needed.

0795omega

Re: Snow and windscreen wipers.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
sounds a nice guy and a good garage for people to use as not so focused on cash which most of them are! looks like him having previously having carltons made him want to get yours happy again i find round my way their seems to be a lot of fans of them with comments i sometimes get at the petrol station,especially good when a bloke stepping out of 30,000 of new german steel admires it and passes a comment on it.

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
Hello 0795omega,
I can't help but agree with you. My Carlton still attracts admiring glances and comments, which happened just about two days ago from complete strangers
on two separate occasions but the comment you received from Herr Fritz must speak volumes for your car.
We'll just have to keep wowing them 0795omega won't we.

0795omega

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:58 PM »
too true djb i allways think theres a few 90s vauxhalls in particular,some fords aswell but not as many as vauxhall that were cool when new,like cavalier sri,s astra gte,s and of course senator/carltons which if in good nick now still really turn heads mainly because modern metal is boring in design and all look the same!

djbthatsme

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
0795omega,
Just take a look at the Vauxhall Cresta PA (50s - 60s) with its long batmobile look.
IMHO it looks great , with a few (major) changes it could be a real stunner on the roads.

0795omega

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »
i know of one of those near me in regular use 2 tone burgandy and creme looks very smart,similar to the zephyr/zodiac i think,were great rust buckets though thats the only trouble,but then a lot of that era cars were!