Author Topic: Rear Suspension damping rubbers  (Read 1206 times)

djbthatsme

Rear Suspension damping rubbers
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »
Does anyone have or know where I can get the rear coil spring damping rubbers for a 2.0L Carlton.
One of the rubbers sits below and the other is located above the coil spring.
The upper rubber is 90079838 and the lower is 90447199 according to the local dealers parts dept.
They are of course no longer available from Vauxhall and I've tried all known sources to no avail.

The springs on my 1991 Carlton have never been changed to my knowledge and I'm bouncing along
particularly when theres any sort of breeze.

Any ideas guys?

0795omega

Re: Rear Suspension damping rubbers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:11 PM »
have you checked if omega ones may do it?

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
The lower ones on mine where a bit naff, but found some from a MK4 Astra fitted just right.
The upper ones have a bumper, so may be a little harder to get something else to fit.
I have seen that the top ones from the back of a Calibra are very similar with the bumper, may be worth having a look.
when these rubbers go they don't usually make it bouncy thou, they make a creaking noise as the spring rubs on the metal.
Have you checked it's not the shock absorbers worn out, letting it bounce?
try pushing the back down, it should bounce back and stop in two bounces max, if more than that the shocks have had it.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
Thanks for your replies DKT1 and 0795omega,
I've looked at diagrams of the bottom units of an Astra (on ebay) which were similar to the Carlton so I bit the bullet and bought them.
They are now in my possession and they look comparable to the Carlton and given that you, DKT1 , have fit the same gives me some confidence.

The shock absorbers were changed in November 2008 to standards when the air levelling system was disconnected and I don't see this being the cause
of the problem. My apologies concerning my explanation, I was being slightly cavalier,  the car sways rather than bounces along when theres a breeze.

I shall be looking to see if a Calibra or Omega are similar in terms of the upper insulaters and whilst there may not be a need to change them I'm trying to ensure
that a comprehensive job is done. I don't want to revisit my cars backend in the near future because of a lack of foresight.

I also wonder how the upper damping rubber is kept in position - is it bolted?

Thanks again DKT1 and 0795omega.

chris

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Hello DJB

Good work, can you post a link to the items you bought please as I think I'll have some too.

Regarding the upper ones, if we are talking about what I think then the top ones are just placed in position and the spring keeps it in.

Once the spring is out it takes no extra time to replace the top and bottom rubbers.

DKT1

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:50:27 PM »
Yes, the top ones just sits on a post the same shape as the bump stop with the spring holding it in place, the only issue in replacing with ones from another model are that the bump stop fits securely over the part on the chassis, in it being not too loose, a little tight is acceptable! :o

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »
Thanks for your replies DKT1 and Chris,

Now I have a better appreciation of what is needed and what I have to find.
Parts suppliers are not clear on these components which is proving to be difficult in finding the parts, so your input is very useful.

Chris,
I'm going to get back to you once I've gone back over my records , then I'll provide you with the info. you require.

I'll try and get back to you soon.

djbthatsme

Re: Rear Suspension spring damper insulation
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:14 PM »
Hello Chris I'm back,
The part you've referred to is currently being sold by  Vauxhall-superstore-uk on ebay and is titled VAUXHALL REAR SUSPENSION SPRING DAMPER INSULATION - VARIOUS MODELS - GENUINE NEW . At the moment there are 10 available and clearly they should be changed in pairs. Take note I don't know whether these are the same as those that have been fitted by DKT1 so at the moment I'm not sure that they will fit the Carlton. These parts seem to be so difficult to get hold of for the Carlton so I'm taking a chance and should you use them it will also be at your risk.

This part is the lower of the two rubbers, let me know if you able to get hold of the top one.

Hope this helps.

chris

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
Thanks for the info DJB, useful to me and anyone else reading this in future.
Much appreciated.

djbthatsme

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
My pleasure Chris,
 I might just have found the top spring rubber insulator, if I have I'll let you know.

djbthatsme

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
Hello Chris and others,
The parts supplier for the top spring rubber insulator turned out to be a misnomer. On their site the suppliers claimed they had them
but when I came to order the parts they weren't there. However I'm not going to say I was beaten because I wasn't . Further investigations
turned up GMparts who were able to provide the parts required from the good old USA, so they indicated. All other avenues were giving me the
thumbs down.

The price - cough cough was 41.65 for the two which was acceptable if not agreeable. Meaning I was prepared to pay it but not to my liking .
But, But, But the $200 shipping from America I wasn't prepared to pay, at the exchange rate that worked out to be Circa 154 . So the total
for the two upper rubber insulators came to about 196 which is to rich for my blood.

At this stage I had to look for plan B and soon because I want to get this job done early in the new year.

Well to cut a long story short I've bit the bullet and ordered from Germany the two upper insulators that fit the Opel Astra. They look similar
and somewhere in my distant memory was led to believe that these may fit the Carlton. We'll see.

That's the state of affairs at the moment, only the future will tell whether I've made the right decision or not.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 07:32:11 PM »
I don't know why you struggled to find them

astra g (mk4) bump stops can be purchased from any good local motor factors , OR
on ebay less than 13 delivered
example clicky
plus
MOT test class 4 (Cars, passenger vehicles, motor caravans, Private Hire Vehicles,
Motor Tricycles, Quadricycles and dual purpose vehicles in all cases
with up to eight passenger seats. )
2.4 Suspension - General
"Note: a missing bump stop rubber is not a reason for rejection"

clicky mot manual page

However , a broken spring (even the pigtail ,top or bottom) is a big fat FAIL

I will say that even though there is no requirement for a bounce test any more on shock absorbers for MOT
it is worth checking the shocks do DAMP correctly (resist in both dirrections)
worn out /non functioning dampers / shocks should be replaced
the 50 or so ,is money well spent IMHO  ;)

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

DKT1

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »
DJB, You forgot the import duty, which will take the total well over the 200. ( the last package I had from the US took over two weeks in customs and they charged me import duty & VAT )
America is very dear to import stuff from, much easier & cheaper from the EU.

djbthatsme

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 05:32:43 PM »
Hello DKT1 and Dave the Builder,
Thanks for your replies.
DKT1 the parts were being provided by GMparts located in Uk, who would acquire them from the USA.
GMparts quoted a price to me which would have included all other costs that would have been incurred
in the transaction including any taxes and postage. Therefore, this being the case, the cost shown in
my previous response below would be appropriate. 

Dave in response to your welcome comments I've worked on the basis from the start of seeking out and buying the
part that is designated for the Carlton. Given that I acquired the part then I would be reasonably satisfied that it would fit the Carlton.
The coil spring upper rubber insulator part number is 90250800 quoted to me by the friendly parts man at the local Vauxhall dealer in Ripley for the Carlton,
so this is what I've been looking for.

There was an alternative single unit being sold on ebay. This was for an Omega and looked a bit chewed up and worn,
which was not to my liking and also looked different. I was not happy in buying this so I didn't.

I even found one rubber insulator that was correct for the task at hand but this was being sold by a person I'd
had a disagreement with previously where PlusNet had to intervene. I didn't want to go down this route for obvious reasons.

Therefore after spending much time in unsuccesfully looking for the correct part, in a moment of irrationality, I chose to buy two
rubber insulators that were advertised to fit an Astra. This was from a site of German origin and even though I
probably could have bought the same from a UK site by this time I was beginning to lose my sanity.

I have tried them with the springs I've bought and the rubber insulators fit tightly into the coiled ends - lets hope they fit
correctly when assembled on the car. Dave, now perhaps you can understand what I've done and why I've done it.

The shockers were changed a number of years ago when I couldn't get the parts for the air suspension self levelling system
The shocks seem OK, bouncing already checked.

Thanks once again DKT1 and Dave the Builder for your input, much appreciated.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
Buying parts for anything these days can be complicated and involve cross referencing many part numbers ,
due to alternative parts being substituted during different production runs
some parts get used in other models and even other makes .so worth looking.
the internet is a good source of information , unfortunately , it's also a good source of "mis-information"
(false or incorrect information that is spread intentionally or unintentionally)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 06:51:25 PM »
Dave, the points you make are well made.

The net is a good source of information but there are times when ignorant or\and misguided individuals create an illusion that is clearly unhelpful. 
On one occasion I was led to believe that a jaguar car I was viewing possessed a manual g\box by a youngster but on further examination was found to be an auto.
Of course we know that he could have been motivated by others to do this but whatever the case may be this misinformation was nothing better than useless.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
I have several of the upper dampers should anyone require such,I may even have the lower damping rubbers.
Also i have some donut bushes if anyone is in need!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

djbthatsme

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 06:28:40 AM »
Hello carlton_mad,
Thank you for replying to my post.
I'd be interested in knowing how much do you want for the upper dampers just in case I need them.

You reply is appreciated.