Author Topic: Rear Suspension damping rubbers  (Read 71 times)

djbthatsme

Rear Suspension damping rubbers
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »
Does anyone have or know where I can get the rear coil spring damping rubbers for a 2.0L Carlton.
One of the rubbers sits below and the other is located above the coil spring.
The upper rubber is 90079838 and the lower is 90447199 according to the local dealers parts dept.
They are of course no longer available from Vauxhall and I've tried all known sources to no avail.

The springs on my 1991 Carlton have never been changed to my knowledge and I'm bouncing along
particularly when theres any sort of breeze.

Any ideas guys?

0795omega

Re: Rear Suspension damping rubbers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:11 PM »
have you checked if omega ones may do it?

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
The lower ones on mine where a bit naff, but found some from a MK4 Astra fitted just right.
The upper ones have a bumper, so may be a little harder to get something else to fit.
I have seen that the top ones from the back of a Calibra are very similar with the bumper, may be worth having a look.
when these rubbers go they don't usually make it bouncy thou, they make a creaking noise as the spring rubs on the metal.
Have you checked it's not the shock absorbers worn out, letting it bounce?
try pushing the back down, it should bounce back and stop in two bounces max, if more than that the shocks have had it.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
Thanks for your replies DKT1 and 0795omega,
I've looked at diagrams of the bottom units of an Astra (on ebay) which were similar to the Carlton so I bit the bullet and bought them.
They are now in my possession and they look comparable to the Carlton and given that you, DKT1 , have fit the same gives me some confidence.

The shock absorbers were changed in November 2008 to standards when the air levelling system was disconnected and I don't see this being the cause
of the problem. My apologies concerning my explanation, I was being slightly cavalier,  the car sways rather than bounces along when theres a breeze.

I shall be looking to see if a Calibra or Omega are similar in terms of the upper insulaters and whilst there may not be a need to change them I'm trying to ensure
that a comprehensive job is done. I don't want to revisit my cars backend in the near future because of a lack of foresight.

I also wonder how the upper damping rubber is kept in position - is it bolted?

Thanks again DKT1 and 0795omega.

chris

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Hello DJB

Good work, can you post a link to the items you bought please as I think I'll have some too.

Regarding the upper ones, if we are talking about what I think then the top ones are just placed in position and the spring keeps it in.

Once the spring is out it takes no extra time to replace the top and bottom rubbers.

DKT1

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:50:27 PM »
Yes, the top ones just sits on a post the same shape as the bump stop with the spring holding it in place, the only issue in replacing with ones from another model are that the bump stop fits securely over the part on the chassis, in it being not too loose, a little tight is acceptable! :o
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »
Thanks for your replies DKT1 and Chris,

Now I have a better appreciation of what is needed and what I have to find.
Parts suppliers are not clear on these components which is proving to be difficult in finding the parts, so your input is very useful.

Chris,
I'm going to get back to you once I've gone back over my records , then I'll provide you with the info. you require.

I'll try and get back to you soon.

djbthatsme

Re: Rear Suspension spring damper insulation
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:14 PM »
Hello Chris I'm back,
The part you've referred to is currently being sold by  Vauxhall-superstore-uk on ebay and is titled VAUXHALL REAR SUSPENSION SPRING DAMPER INSULATION - VARIOUS MODELS - GENUINE NEW . At the moment there are 10 available and clearly they should be changed in pairs. Take note I don't know whether these are the same as those that have been fitted by DKT1 so at the moment I'm not sure that they will fit the Carlton. These parts seem to be so difficult to get hold of for the Carlton so I'm taking a chance and should you use them it will also be at your risk.

This part is the lower of the two rubbers, let me know if you able to get hold of the top one.

Hope this helps.

chris

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
Thanks for the info DJB, useful to me and anyone else reading this in future.
Much appreciated.

djbthatsme

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
My pleasure Chris,
 I might just have found the top spring rubber insulator, if I have I'll let you know.