Author Topic: PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW STOPPED WORKING ANY IDEAS ? ON QUICKFIXES  (Read 583 times)

6FT1M

• Location - Windsor, Berks
PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW STOPPED WORKING ANY IDEAS ? ON QUICKFIXES
« on: November 24, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
NEED HELP IN WINDSOR

WINDOW NOT WORKING ANY IDEAS
OR HELP PLZ

DKT1

Re: PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW STOPPED WORKING ANY IDEAS ? ON QUICKFIXES
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
Firstly, do you have a multi-meter?
If you own a Carlton this is one of the essentials. ;D
Check the fuses.
Check the centre consul switches (be careful do not short any thing, or you will blow the circuit board) check the switch activates with the power off.
Check the door connections, the wires usually break right next to the connector, especially the rear.
Check the connection to the motor.
And lastly, it can be the motor? so if you have a spare (any one, as the connections are the same), connect it and check if it moves, if not start at the beginning again as you've missed it, good luck!
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

chris

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:15:22 PM »
A couple of lazy mans checks before you go to work properly as DKT advises -

If its the front door you can get to the plug where the door plugs into the A pillar, try unplugging and replugging that, one of my cars occasionally has this problem on the front passenger door, I keep meaning to try contact cleaner but for now pulling the plug and putting it back has worked every time.

When you operate the button can you hear any noise from the door at all or see anything electrical dim, if so you can probably skip some of the checks and go straight to the motor. Its not uncommon for them to seize.

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:09:52 PM »
If its dead (no sounds of buzzing when trying up or down and no dimming of interior light eithert) then it could be a dodgey connection under the front passengers feet. Lift the carpet etc and along side the door cill you will see all the wires. There are two joints for the permanent live wires to the doors. Those joints fail if any water collects in the footwell (have you had a spillage there or leaking heater matrix or a blocked scuttle drain meaning an overflow of water from by the wiper blades gets into the car via the ventilation routes or it is the season of condensation combined with lack of use). It is a bad place for those joints and it almost seems like they are there as an afterthought. If there is loads of green staining there then you can be sure the electricity is no longer flowing to one or more doors. Just bodge a joint and get that window shut. Remake them properly and seal them up when you get a chance.

My windows mis-behave because my several years old bodge has not been re-done properly !. But if I press on the joints (twisted wires) they work for about a year !. So thanks for reminding me to do it properly !.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

DKT1

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »
I'd forgotten all about them joints!
Did both sides about five years ago, never had a problem since.
(Soldered, shrink wrapped, self amalgamating taped, the jobs a good un)
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est