Author Topic: Time for a battery.  (Read 89 times)

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
Time for a battery.
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »
Me thinks it is time to start thinking about a new battery. So I was wondering what recommendations people have.

Well I have had the current Banner for over ten years. It is now on my Rioja CD and was originally bought for my spectral Blue CDX and it spent many months totally flat around about 2012/13 when I was not facing up to scrapping it. Surprisingly the battery is still alive although it will not hold enough charge if unused for over three weeks. Its just started Rosie willingly after four days parked outside in the shade, and its been cold !.

I have a Bosch silver that came with Rosie but my intelligent charger does not charge it (thinks it is already fully charged do to a higher back EMF). That has become forgotten about and is probably flat - last unburied and checked over a year ago as the Banner has been more use.

As  say the current battery is a Banner and I am inclined to get the same again. I have found a company in Wales called Tayna that will supply and deliver a Banner "Starting Bull 065 (55519)" for about 59 - its  55 AH / 450 A.
They do a beefier battery  "Starting Bull 075 (56009)" for about 65 - 62 AH / 480 A - but I think it might really be a Power Bull P6009 540 A as that is what the Banner website calls it and Tayna do not do that one.

Anyway just wondering what others have found good. I cannot believe the old Banner battery will last this winter but it did last year with minimal use. I do not want to buy a new battery that within a few years could be as bad as this Banner is NOW after over ten years of abuse.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

0795omega

Re: Time for a battery.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
that sounds good ten years! id be inclined to get same again,i never usually have a preference on make,the garage that does my mots/repairs also happens to be auto electricians,so when i last needed one just got a rather heavy duty one from them was about 60.00 i recall.

nightmare

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »
I use an 096 size battery 74AH  680A Varta, in my 2.0L diplomat.
About 8 year old and still going good. I've only done around 13,000 miles in that time so it has long periods of inactivity.
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
Ah 8 years and only 13k miles. that sounds about right for my level of use. It also occurs to me that the 60 battery would work ut at 5 per year over twelve years !.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

djbthatsme

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »
Back in March 2013 I also bought a Varta D59 battery with 4 years warranty which cost 64.99 at the time. This was for my 2.0l Carlton which was covering about 5,000 miles per annum but unfortunately it didn't last the 4 years distance so it went back and was changed for a Lucas.  This battery  I've had for about 18 months if I recall correctly. It was checked today and passed muster so that's something. Even though I've had a bad experience with the Varta battery I had, my advice would fall in line with other members, why change a winning horse.  Your Varta was bigger than my Varta and its proved its worth.

I would suggest that you don't make this public - being known as the biggest Varta in town won't help your reputation