Author Topic: Bumper bracket  (Read 77 times)

DKT1

Bumper bracket
« on: November 18, 2017, 12:34:25 AM »
I bought a new N/S bumper side bracket, the one that fits on the wing, it arrived yesterday and so I thought as it's a nice day I'd fit it.
Removed the bumper, removed the broken old bracket, removed the bracket from the packet, fitted the new bracket, but as I pushed the clips into the holes in the wing it snapped and shattered into several pieces, I think the neighbours heard me !*@%$.
When I'd calmed down and checked it, the plastic is extremely brittle, just closing the two sides of the clip parts together they break, it seems this may be a Chinese fake part, using the wrong plastic.
It was in a Vauxhall plastic bag with the part numbers and came from a German Vauxhall/Opel dealer?
So I fixed/modified the old one and put it back on, so that's 30 down the drain, but at least it was a nice day for it. ;D
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

0795omega

Re: Bumper bracket
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
ive had that scenario several times with stuff off e-bay,you buy something in good faith of it being genuine gm because of the packaging mainly, their pics in the add make it all look pucka then like you say come to fit, and you soon find out youve been duped i bet a lot of it goes on! at least youve sorted the original problem now.

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »
O! O! O! DKT1,
Just groaning on your behalf.
If it was me I would be pulling my hair out.
This doesn't have anything to do with having sausage fingers, does it?

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
If it is from ebay then go get a refund or at least do the review. I just had the wrong stuff delivered and no surprises, because its mostly postage, they gave me a refund and told me no need to return the items.

Still got to get the right stuff though. Wanted some galvanised M10 25mm washers but got sent ordinary ones.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

DKT1

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:31:43 AM »
My immediate thought was it must be me!
I've pressed it too hard?
But you have you push the clips into the holes and then put screws in them.
So I tried just putting a screw in the one bit that didn't break and yes, it snapped the clip, so not my sausage fingers.
And I don't have that much hair left that I could grab any and pull it out! ;D
Shame I didn't buy it off eBay as I'd have got my money back, I bought it from "opel-classicparts" I've had stuff from them before, it's dear but usually stuff you can't get anywhere else, just bought all the bits to overhaul the steering column, but that's a job for the better weather.
On a brighter note the rear brake back plates are painted and look good.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est