Author Topic: Rear brake back plates  (Read 164 times)

DKT1

Rear brake back plates
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »
Turning a left into a right.
WP_20171115_001 by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20171115_002 by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20171115_004 by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20171115_003 by David Taylor, on Flickr
Just the painting to do.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

chris

Re: Rear brake back plates
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
Thats a great job.

I was mistaken about not being able to rotate it round and weld it back in, it seems obvious now that you have done it.

Thanks for posting.

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
Well done DKT1,
I'm sure there will be many cases where back plated are repairable using common engineering practices but this approach uses new materials which should result in a longer lasting outcome .
Just goes to show what using initiative can achieve.

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »
This is something I have (yet) to face up to but I suspect one side is dragging a bit. Hopefully the grot in the hub is holding things in place maybe.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

djbthatsme

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »
I've an admission to make.

Today I received the two brand new rear back plates for the Carlton which came from a previous owner of a GSi.
They were hidden on Ebay and found when just surfing. They are rear left and rear right and I paid less than two lefts.

Somethings going right for me.

DKT1

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Well done!
At least they went to a worthy cause and not just binned like so many bits I hear about, when it's too late!
(I used to have one of those, had some bits for it in the garage, but didn't know any one that had one, so took it all down the tip!!!)
Iv'e known them for forty years, had the same car for over twenty (had a MKll before that), the mind boggles?

chris

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Great news, I'm glad you found what you need to sort it out.

Something to mention, other people may know better than me so I'm sure they will say if I'm wrong.

I have heard that to change the plate you need to remove the hub which is difficult and usually then requires new rear wheel bearings to be fitted.

I have changed them once before myself and used a different approach. At the time the cars werent very old, maybe around 1999 or 2000 but I had one of the rustiest in existence at that time and it needed new plates.
Instead of needing new bearings to keep what was just a low budget runaround going I cut the plates, put them in place and bolted it all back together.
They lasted the rest of the time i had the car with no problems.
They have no purpose other than the handbrake (well, other than the dust shield) so with careful thought about where to cut it worked well.

I'd do it again, although I would consider welding the pieces back together and painting before bolting it all together.

I know it sounds like a bodge, just sharing what I did and letting you know to consider the bearings.

djbthatsme

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 07:58:33 PM »
Thank you DKT1 and chris,
It now seems that I may have made a contact with an ex GSi owner that still as a number of spares for the car.
Subsequent to buying the plates from the guy he mentioned that he had quite a range of parts that could be useful to me,
suggesting that I should inform him of what I required.

I advised him to list what he has but at the moment he's not replied to me. Clearly I cannot foresee what will be required in the future
so couldn't say what I wanted but I'll contact him again, we don't want to lose this source.
DKT1 I'm aware of what you've said in this regard and I agree with you, it does happen.

Chris, I don't get down and dirty nowadays I leave that to others but I'm always involved in the servicing\repair process.
Sourcing of parts is just about always in my court. I like and need to know whats going on so from the start I become fully immersed
with the cars performance and its needs. Then I will source the parts for the job in question which takes a lot of pressure away from the garage(s).
I can spend hours finding remote parts, where they don't have the time to do this.

As you know the screeching sound in my Carlton has just been resolved temporarily by undertaking a make do repair to the back plate, which the local garage did.
I was unaware of the complexity you've described so thank you for the information. I'll discuss the job with the garage and then decide the way forward.

If bearings are to be bought then so be it.

Have you done your back plates yet DKT1 ?

Thanks again guys.

DKT1

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:29:38 AM »
No, not yet djb.
I'm still in sourcing mode, wanted to do a full brake refurb but have hit a small problem in sourcing the new brake pistons, as I can't definitely tell what size they are, there seems to be two sizes, so I'll have to strip one side down (front & back) and measure the pistons before ordering.
Have got all the other bits new, shoe & pad clips etc.
I was also wondering if I should order new rear bearings, but as Chris as touched my engineering "modify it" button I may be embarking on a rear back plate modification program.
As he says, it's really about where you cut it and how you rejoin it, I'll have another think when I strip it down and it's all in front of me?

djbthatsme

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:57:57 PM »
Good luck with that DKT1.
It certainly doesn't seem like repair weather to me, but someone as to do it I expect, I'd rather cabin up.

0795omega

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »
thought i had this problem the other night had a scraping noise from off side rear of car,when got out at end of journey noticed part of a branch off a tree stuck under car and dragging on road!! well chuffed when saw it and of course removed it now all silent again!

djbthatsme

« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:18:44 PM »
Aren't you lucky 0795omega,
what makes me wonder is why would you go driving in the middle of a forest.
Silence can grow on you I expect , which is something I've yet to experience it seems.
This is not exactly true but theres always something happening to my car to keep me on my toes and make sure I don't get to rich - Ha, Ha.