Author Topic: My back ends leaking ?  (Read 662 times)

djbthatsme

My back ends leaking ?
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
For those who've seen me it could be explained as a personal problem but it really is the Carlton I'm talking about.

Some time ago I had the diff refurbished and things seem to be okay in that direction but not in others which have already been told.
More recently oil was leaking from the diff area, which was some months after the refurb so I decided to have the problem remedied.
The local garage changed the drive shaft  oil seal but the mechanic expressed some doubt over its permanency, explaining that the drive shaft
was scored and could allow the oil to escape.

There was some signs of leakage on my drive so I took the car back in to have it checked over again. The offside drive shaft was wet at the point where it
connected in to the diff but it was just to say wet and not flowing or seeping to any noticeable degree. I have now been advised to acquire a drive shaft and a new
oil seal and the garage will do the job again.

One of the major problems is acquiring a new drive shaft together with another oil seal. At the moment I've found difficulty in finding the parts but also recognise
that they could and probably be very expensive. So what I've done is wiped cleaned the drive where the oil stain was and now I'm going to see what effect this has.

I'm wondering if any fellow members can add to this.

Any thoughts guys.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: My back ends leaking ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »
the prop shaft and drive shafts bolt to the diff , so i don't see how replacing either will stop the seals on the diff leaking
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:01:05 PM »
The number for the seal is 90222045 this seems to be the same one used on all the diff's (except lotus)
If you can measure accurately the oil seal seating area on the drive shaft (past the splines) then it would be possible to fit a shaft repair sleeve (speedi sleeve) to remove the worn area, this is a very thin specially hardened stainless steel sleeve that is made in numerous sizes to slip over a worn area with a fitting tool supplied.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shaft-Repair-Sleeve-Speedi-Sleeve-Metric-Sizes-/301387955929?var=&hash=item462c1f3ed9:m:mnZVeQkYxV3OwZMT-0iVf-g
So if the drive shaft joints are still OK! then fitting a sleeve would slightly increase the size of the shaft and help seal it better anyway.
I have used these to repair worn seal areas, the last one was on the distributor drive on the rear of the camshaft and that was easy enough and worked very well.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »
Thanks for your replies Dave the Builder and DKT1.

Dave, if I understand the Carltons transmission correctly the drive shafts are connected with the differential gearing and lubricated by the oil in the diff.  Whilst the prop shaft and drive shafts are bolted to the diff to keep them in place each of the shafts pass through oil seals which are there to ensure the oil does not flow out of the diff.

It is claimed by the garage that the suspect shaft where the leak prevails is caused because the shaft is scored in a manner that allows the oil to pass beyond the seal and drop onto my lovely drive. This may well be the case which I'm attempting to confirm by keeping my eye on the suspect area and checking my drive for signs of oil leakage.

The oil seal where the leakage seems to have occurred was changed about 3-4 weeks ago so this is a follow up on that event.
My apologies for not explaining events clearly enough, I hope that this is more clear this time. Sorry my mistake.

My only other thought was what effect would overfilling the diff with oil have ?

As I've already mentioned the seal was changed about 4 weeks ago and then I went on my pilgrimage to sunny Wales and back again. Its a trip of about 165 miles each way give or take a yard so there was plenty of time for the oil to be thrown about. I park in the same spot in Wales and there wasn't any sign on the road of leakage when I left. There wasn't any more unusual noises that I could hear during or after the journey. Nevertheless however there were signs of wetness on the O\S drive shaft when it was checked in the garage a couple of days ago. There was also some signs of oil on my drive at home so maybe I am being overcautious or maybe not.

So perhaps its fair to say that whilst there were only MINOR SIGNS of leakage  which may or may not be relevant I have to prepare myself for the worst case scenario. I have another trip to Wales coming up soon so if the leak isn't resolved the intention will be to check and top up the oil again in the Diff before hand.

DKT1 thanks for the info you sent, you quote the seal number 90222045 is that Vauxhalls identification number or the manufacturers ?

The info you sent looks to be very useful which I shall be following up tomorrow.

I shall be keeping readers informed so that others may benefit from my experience.

Thank you both once again.

DKT1

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »
That's the Vauxhall No.90222045
It is used in Omega A's, B's, Senators, Vectra's & Calibra's so shouldn't be hard to get hold of.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est