Author Topic: Power steering oil  (Read 833 times)

djbthatsme

Power steering oil
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »
I've never changed or topped up the oil for the Power steering but I've kept an eye on the level.
Noticeably its dropped below the recommended level so I ordered some via ebay but unfortunately that which I ordered
the supplier had then they were sending it but then they didn't have.

My question is can I mix Dexron 111 with Dexron 11 which is currently in the car ?

Any thoughts?

chris

Re: Power steering oil
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
I dont know the answer.

I do know that car shop staff sometimes tell you just to put it in (if they dont stock II like Euro car parts), however as Dexron III wasnt developed until long after our cars were built I see no reason to take the risk and as Dexron II is available from any good independent shop I just stick to that.

I dont believe for a minute that these car shop staff have any real knowledge, they just want to sell what they have on the shelf (recent experience at Euro when I couldnt get to my trusted independent). If III was completely compatible I wonder why both are still supplied.

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
Thanks for your reply chris,
From my research today it seems that Dexron 111 is claimed to be  a superior product to Dexron 11 because it is synthetic.  Of course with it being more superior (their words not mine) it becomes more costly - would you believe it!! But bear in mind the most up to date version I believe is now Dexron v1.

So whats the difference ?

There is also the option of Dexron 11 etc. being offered under different trade names - so what can be used with the existing oil in the Carltons power steering system?

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
I just use halfords power steering fluid ,
I do check the spec on gear oil,diff oil ,brake fluid ,etc and use the correct stuff ,
 but power steering is just a simple pump/ram setup.
never had any issues
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
Thanks for your input Dave,
Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't reasons why I couldn't mix with whats in to whats going in.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »
Just don't use cherry-aide
looks the same as power steering fluid ,tastes completely different  ;)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »
Now I can understand why you warned me not to use cherry -aide. It does taste different than power steering fluid, it was horrible and was to sweet for me. 

Ho, Ho, Ho!!!

I have since bought the pucka gen stuff from an outfit in Darlington via Ebay.