Author Topic: Headlining  (Read 334 times)

DKT1

Headlining
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:45:41 PM »
Finished the headlining today, managed to get the shell back in without removing the front seatbelts, just pulling the top of the trim away.
Total strip out on the back thou, kept the front seats up with the headrests on, to hold the shell up, helped with putting the sunroof back as well.
Inside looks so much better.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

0795omega

Re: Headlining
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »
good to hear,both mine need this doing theyve sagged at the rear where it dips to rear window,have spray glued it loads of times,but a day in the hot sun it sags again! good trimmer near me, am going to have it done next year sometime!

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »
It's definitely easier on an estate.
Took about 2 Hrs to get it out (all those clips), mine was damaged it seems from new (heavy handed installer) so after cleaning all the old foam & glue off I had to repair the shell, front left side corner completely detached, but all repaired now and sturdy.
Just got to make four perspex plates to take some new led interior lights I'm mounting over the load strap fixing points, as all the covers broke when I removed them and it always seemed as if there was some lights missing in the back seat area, the other two are to the front of the load space and will light it up nicely.
Already fitted one in the rear in place of the original, as that broke, much better light output.
Can't get any pictures to post as Photobucket don't allow it unless you pay now!!!

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »
Where did you get the LEDs from for the interior light(s) ?. When I am away camping at festivals I wonder how much of a hammering the battery takes with a conventional bulb in the rear.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

DKT1

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »
I'm using 5 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pair-License-Plate-Light-18-LED-Lamps-For-BMW-Mini-Cooper-R50-R52-R53-Canbus-/121862134843?hash=item1c5f8c9c3b
fitted on to 5mm thick grey perspex, they have a slight angle to them, that works OK on the side as it angles them down.
On the front light I used a LED replacement bulb like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C5W-Festoon-LED-Canbus-Interior-LIght-Number-Plate-Bulb-6000K-/231517854415?var=&hash=item35e78a1acf:m:mncgI0dNuWk5p77_OoixxSg
I think it was the 41mm/ 8 leds that I used, works fine, nice & bright.

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:52:22 PM »
The Headlining on my Carlton was also sagging but its now been glued back into position. Unfortunately the material between the lining and roof is sagging still which leaves me thinking that this is a future job waiting to be done. I'm just wondering if that material is sponge like and if so where it can be bought. Any further details about the job would be welcome.
Thanks DJB

DKT1

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 04:10:55 PM »
I got the headlining from a company in Leeds http://www.megavanmats.com/ almost exact match to the original light grey.
I also used there High temperature adhesive spray, which was very good and easy to use.
Sun roof was such a lot of work to get out, dismantle, cover & reassemble, then put it back in on your own, I'd recommend getting some help and of course it rained the night I had it out and even thou I'd covered the hole with plastic and tape, the water still got in and soaked the rear carpet, just got it dried out.
I was starting to take pic's of it as I went along, but as I can't find anyway of posting them now, I gave up halfway through!
Seems I might be in luck with the lights, just done a final measure up on the holes and the spire clips I'm using and with just a small mod to the body work to get one of the clips in straight, I can fit them without the perspex plinth, just have to drill two holes in them for the stainless fixing screws, then trim down the electrical contacts so they don't touch the body work and there done.

DKT1

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
All finished, lights in and working, didn't have to use the Perspex on the side ones, just the top rear to cover the hole.
Nice and bright now!
Shame I can't post pic's.

DKT1

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
Photo's at last.
WP_20170721_006 by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20170721_005 by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20170721_007 by David Taylor, on Flickr
And new lights.
WP_20171115_006 by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20171115_008 by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20171115_009 by David Taylor, on Flickr

chris

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »
Great job that.

Headlining is on the to do list for one of my Carltons.