Author Topic: Leads they are a jumping.  (Read 134 times)

djbthatsme

Leads they are a jumping.
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:29:22 PM »
This can be set to any tune you prefer but I thought that this needs a special mention due to its niggling frequency.
Returning from my trip to IKEA today the car started to lose power and I was hoping to reach home before it gave up the ghost completely.  :o Fortunately I did .

The HT leads are back to their old annoying self, they are a jumping or in other words dropping away from the distributor cap. I thought that this had been overcome completely after the last episode but not so. When on one of many trips to the land of Wizardry some time ago I'd had the same experience and so the cap and Ht leads and rotor arm were changed again.

Since then there wasn't any problem in this direction perhaps because the poor old car had other things to deal with ie the fuel relay problem.

I am buying and fitting after market parts which is leading me to think that they are substandard. My question is has any one else had this experience and what make cap and leads are other Carlton owners using.  ???

All answers gratefully received.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: Leads they are a jumping.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
once had the king lead pop off the center terminal of the dissy cap on my current CDi at an inopportune moment .
diagnosed and rectified in about 5 mins.
those are BOSCH HT SILICONE SET, not cheap, cap was lucas
these things happen
Don't use WD40 on the rubber terminal boots ,that's asking for trouble  ;)

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
Hi Dave,
Just wondering whether you'd be the first to answer  ;)
The HT leads leaving their place of work is far to frequent and when the engine started coughing it was an easy and quick diagnosis.  ::)

It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy Bosch or GM.

Thanks for your input Dave.

DKT1

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Just have to get the right set, the early ones had no centre pin.
It seems you can put the new leads in an old cap but not the other way round, but as the new type has a centre pin that locks them in, it would be feasible that an old type cap with the new type leads could leave them loose and so able to slip out.
I have both new types on mine, they fit very tight and are fairly hard to push in but are solid when in.
Do your leads have holes in the ends I wonder?
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est