Author Topic: Leads they are a jumping.  (Read 301 times)

djbthatsme

Leads they are a jumping.
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:29:22 PM »
This can be set to any tune you prefer but I thought that this needs a special mention due to its niggling frequency.
Returning from my trip to IKEA today the car started to lose power and I was hoping to reach home before it gave up the ghost completely.  :o Fortunately I did .

The HT leads are back to their old annoying self, they are a jumping or in other words dropping away from the distributor cap. I thought that this had been overcome completely after the last episode but not so. When on one of many trips to the land of Wizardry some time ago I'd had the same experience and so the cap and Ht leads and rotor arm were changed again.

Since then there wasn't any problem in this direction perhaps because the poor old car had other things to deal with ie the fuel relay problem.

I am buying and fitting after market parts which is leading me to think that they are substandard. My question is has any one else had this experience and what make cap and leads are other Carlton owners using.  ???

All answers gratefully received.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: Leads they are a jumping.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
once had the king lead pop off the center terminal of the dissy cap on my current CDi at an inopportune moment .
diagnosed and rectified in about 5 mins.
those are BOSCH HT SILICONE SET, not cheap, cap was lucas
these things happen
Don't use WD40 on the rubber terminal boots ,that's asking for trouble  ;)

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
Hi Dave,
Just wondering whether you'd be the first to answer  ;)
The HT leads leaving their place of work is far to frequent and when the engine started coughing it was an easy and quick diagnosis.  ::)

It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy Bosch or GM.

Thanks for your input Dave.

DKT1

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Just have to get the right set, the early ones had no centre pin.
It seems you can put the new leads in an old cap but not the other way round, but as the new type has a centre pin that locks them in, it would be feasible that an old type cap with the new type leads could leave them loose and so able to slip out.
I have both new types on mine, they fit very tight and are fairly hard to push in but are solid when in.
Do your leads have holes in the ends I wonder?
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

DKT1

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
Just fitted a new set of leads, cap and rotor arm, had a miss on No,2 when on tick over.
So decided to replace the lot for all Bosch ones, never really been happy with pattern parts.
Got the distributor cap from Germany with a new black cover on it (looks lovely).
The rotor (from London) has Allen screws in it, so is easy to fit, unlike the ones with Phillips head screws in.
The plug leads (from Poland) are the best bit, I found an alternative type on the Bosch website (could be the same as a Calibra, Astra?), all four have the metal shields, the leads are Black (the grey ones get dirty really quick) and two of them have a right angled bend on the leads as they come out of the distributor cap, they fit really tight into the cap, no chance these will come loose.
The hardest part was working out what lead went where as there are basically only two lengths, long for No's 1&2, short for 3&4, one of each has the bend on it.
You wouldn't think it could be that hard to work out, but it didn't matter what way round I fitted them it never really looked right, so settled for best not touching anything rather than looks.
As they won't fit as neat as the old grey ones (or I can't do it) the plus to these leads is the plug ends which are much better, with an angled solid end to get hold of on top of the metal shield, which means the lead doesn't get stretched when pulling them of the plugs, which is how I ended up with the miss on No,2.
The best way to get at the distributor cap is to remove the nearside engine mounting and lower the engine, it gives a lot more room to get my sausage fingers round the back of the head, I still manage to cut the back of my hand on all the silly pipe clips thou, but that's the joy of working on cars!
He now runs sweet as a nut again.

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »
Thanks for your reply DKT1,
Somehow I missed your response back in July but at least your most recent contact gives me chance to put in my two penneth.

I must admit to finding the pattern parts not living up to the task so as much as possible use OEMs, they are more dependable and  last longer. My philosophy is why do the job twice when it can be done once. Breaking down on motorways or heavily conjested roads is no joke especially when all kinds of traffic is thundering past oblivious to your predicament and most of them couldn't care less anyway.

Since fitting the last lot of leads with the cap I've had no further problems in this quarter and now keep spares in the car ready for the next wonderful experience. Generally speaking I don't change the leads or cap myself but on the occasions when I do it doesn't cause me so much of a problem as yours does. You have sausage fingers mine are more delicate like a pianists so it is easier for me. I must admit to giving up playing the piano years ago - I did try. 

In terms of determining which leads go where, on the 4 cylinder (1.8 and 2.0L ) the firing order is 1-3-4-2 so once you've established where 1 is the next lead in chronological order would be 3 and so on.  1 would be followed by 3 clockwise then 4 follows 3 clockwise and 2 follows 4 clockwise. Years ago the leads came numbered but not so nowadays so it may be wise to put the new leads on the new cap by mimicking whats on the old cap.

DKT1

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
It wasn't the order of the leads I had the problem with, it was the position of the leads with the right angle bends on them.
As the other set had all straight leads, they all came out from behind the head in roughly the same place/angle, the new leads having just two with the elbows on, I couldn't seem to get them in a position where the elbows pointed it in a position that looked like it was supposed to go there?
If they had been all different lengths that would have been pretty simple to work out.
Basically they just stuck out!
The firing order is printed on the new black cover, so easy peasy really, you can't get it wrong.

djbthatsme

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
Sometimes it can be difficult to visualise the issue at hand  without some sort of aid and given that you were using Polish leads exarcerbated or even caused the difficulty. I was not trying to criticize you all I was trying to do was provide some support and help. Maybe there's a moral in the story - don't use Polish leads in future. That's only for you to decide.

Whatever the case may be, hope everything is OK now and you're whizzing along our transport network.

Good luck.

DKT1

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
Ha Ha,
They where Bosch leads, from Poland!(because they where cheaper than from here?)
I've been out in the car the weekend and I must say the car is running so much better, better than it has for a long time.
I'm definitely getting converted to buying Bosch stuff, everything I've changed to Bosch has performed perfectly and always better than the pattern part it has replaced, so money well spent!
djb; I never thought you where criticizing, thanks for the support & help.
Sorry if my reply came over wrong, I got carried away in the explanation I suppose.
I think the moral would be, "buy once, buy Bosch" (it doesn't matter where it comes from then)

djbthatsme

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
DKT1,
Alls well that ends well. The main thing is you're using the car and its running well.

Happy motoring.

DKT1

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
Now I've worked out how to use Flickr & post pictures again, hopefully things will be clearer.
WP_20171115_011 by David Taylor, on Flickr
The angled connectors on the plug leads, really difficult to get a good picture but this is the best.
WP_20171115_010 by David Taylor, on Flickr
The new plug connections, a lot easier to pull of.

0795omega

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
wow thats one clean looking 2.0 engine!!

DKT1

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
You just have to keep on top of the oil leaks, especially the rocker cover and breather pipes.