Author Topic: 2.0 Diplomat running issues  (Read 131 times)

chrisP

2.0 Diplomat running issues
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
Hello everyone, before jumping in and expecting all of you wonderful members to help me, I thought I'd better introduce myself.  :)

I'm Chris from Kent and I own two Diplomat 2.0's (1 auto & 1 manual) as well as a few 60s/70s Vauxhalls. Well it's my everyday manual that's giving me absolute headaches trying to solve a problem on. I've owned this one since '99 when it had 89k and two owners, it now has 274k on the original engine / box / axle and even clutch. This is what it has developed;

About two moths ago I was ten miles into a journey on a motorway when it suddenly died and instantly recovered - when it did this the engine management light came on and the rev counter dropped to zero. It did this a few more times before going back to normal. It then did exactly the same on the journey home.

My neighbour is an auto electrician and he said 'crank shaft sensor'. I booked it in with my local garage and they fitted a pattern one - then it wouldn't even start. We got it running but it was popping through the air box. I changed the plugs, cap & rotor, and swapped the coil & air mass sensor from my auto. Still rough, so I asked them to get anther crank shaft sensor, same again, so we ordered one from Vauxhall. 124 later....same again. Now, this is what it does (I've had to have it recovered to my house now) turn the key, starts & idles, slowly increase revs with throttle and before it reaches 2000 rpm it almost dies with an instant engine management light, then the light goes out and the car returns to idle.

I am at a loss as to what to do next, please oh knowledgeable masters, help me!   :-\

chris

Re: 2.0 Diplomat running issues
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »
Hello Chris

I dont know much about the 2.0 cars but by far the most common running issue cause on Carltons seems to the the fuel pump relay.

Its not just a fuel pump relay, its quite a bit more complex than that and has the ability to cause all sorts of problems.

For the cost I'd be trying a new one (or swap between your cars).

It seems to me that the most common misdiagnosis on any car is crankshaft sensor, so often blamed first but rarely at fault.

Have you read the fault codes? If you dont have a reader there is an easy way to do it using just a paperclip, have a quick search on here for paperclip test. I cant remember the details as I dont do it that way myself.

If you get some fault codes post them here.

Note that if its not running it will appear to have a crankshaft sensor fault but that just means that the sensor isnt sensing anything, not that its faulty.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »
!00% agree with what Chris has posted  :)
try the fuel relay (and while your there ,check ecu pins are not wet/corroded if your relay is driver foot well rt kick panel)
Also worth checking the cts (coolant temp sensor ,the 2 wire one by alternator)
my 4 banger runs like a 3 legged dog with a duff cts.  cuts out, no power,picks up ,dies, missfires  ::)
make sure all engine earth points are clean
worth beefing up the earth strap between alternator and block and make a nice new earth for the coil
the connection on the side of fuel tank can be ropey to the fuel pump
hope you find the gremlin in the system  ;)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

chrisP

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
Thanks guys, firstly I think I should've added the following (it's been going on so long I forgot what I've done) I had the ECU fail around 2002 and bought one from a scrap yard - fitted it and job done - so over the years when Carlton 4 cylinders came in my local scrappy I bought them. So I ended up with three and the dead one, I've tried all three good ones, I also fitted a new fuel pump relay. Funny you mention the coolant temp sender Dave, as the garage who had been trying to suss the fault said the exact same thing today - they had a long-term Carlton owner who took his car there regularly say that gave him issues. Is it the little job with a blue end and two-pin push-on connector?

Forgive my ignorance, but do Carltons have ignition module amplifiers? It's just something I found on ebay and was listed for Carlton among others. I can't find anything under the bonnet that looks like one though.

I've gotten so dismayed with it I've actually booked the red auto in for an MOT Thursday (off the road 3 years) and told them do whatever it needs - the exhaust manifold is blowing for starters and I think the O/S rear spring mount will need welding. Oh well, get  s it back on the road eh?

Thanks Chris too, I appreciate all the help I can get.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:36:24 PM by chrisP »

0795omega

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »
sorry to hijack your thread chrisP but if its of any consolation to you mine started doing this the day after it came back from having its ecu refurbed! they didnt do fuel pump relay though,even though i specifically asked them to!! so am going to get one and fit it hoping thats it? good luck with getting the auto back on the road hope it doesnt need too much? know how you feel a little fault can ruin a great car!

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:23:10 AM »
issues. Is it the little job with a blue end and two-pin push-on connector?
yes clicky link

Forgive my ignorance, but do Carltons have ignition module amplifiers? It's just something I found on ebay and was listed for Carlton among others. I can't find anything under the bonnet that looks like one though.

not mk 2 or mk 3 carltons with electronic ignition,ecu, fuel injection
amp module is for the older carlton/astra/cav
many ebay listings are completely wrong parts /model wise

another thought, did you get the correct dissy cap , there are 2 different ones , look the same, terminals are different
and even if you did, worth checking each plug for good spark ,due to the fiddly fitting position of the cap by bulkhead,
that center carbon contact/brush can come out during the faf of removing the skin from one's knuckles whilst standing on ones head , tightening torx bolts  :P

Good luck with the mot
Auto  ::)  ok as a stop gap ,till the "stick shift"beast is returned to service  ;)

stick shift definition  clicky   ;D

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

chrisP

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
It never rains it pours. The auto failed miserably on rot underneath, and sills, and inner wings. Going to have to say farewell to it sadly .  :'(

0795omega

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
oh no so sorry to here that bud! hope things pick up real soon for you.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
That's a shame  :'(
you could make something positive from from the loss
assuming the auto was running fine mechanically ....
that would make a nice donor to sort out the issue with the manual
air flow meter,fuel relay,coolant temp sensor,icv, throttle sensor,evap purge valve, lambda ,fuel pump , fuel regulator,even ecu if you link the start inhibit pin out.battery,alternator
not what you want to hear , but at least the manual would live to fight another day

DKT1

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
I've just had the same on mine, done the head up, new cam shaft etc, replaced the crank sensor as the connection/plug was broken (held together with a cable tie) bought a pattern part, seemed OK, ran OK, until I went up the road, every time went to pull away quickly the engine would die, management light comes on then engine picks up again (scary on roundabouts), bought a new Bosch crank sensor, problem gone, runs better/smoother as well.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

0795omega

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »
thats nice to know cant beat the genuine bosch stuff,hard at times finding it now though!

DKT1

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
It was twice as dear as the pattern part but worked twice as good, at 80 at least I know it should work.
The pattern was all plastic the Bosch is stainless steel like the old one was, looks good too :D

chrisP

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
That's interesting DKD1 - I fitted a genuine GM ones and it made no difference. Where do you find the Bosch ones?
If anyone needs anything from a Diplomat let me know - I'd rather it helped other cars.  ;)

If gy any chance the wiring connector to the Crak sensor plug is iffy could i c Or is that a no no?

DKT1

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
I found one even cheaper on Ebay under 60 ;D
The Bosch part No, is 0261210030, it also fits a Saab 9000 as well as loads of vauxhalls/Opels.
On checking the plastic one, I found the resistance was different, (can't remember what it was now? but higher) but that could make the difference as to why it plays up on higher revs maybe?

0795omega

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »
ive just ordered one for mine garage fitted a pattern part one last week when refurbed the ecu and now this fault of flat spot/management light on then off and engine picks up again has reared its ugly head! looks like carltons favour genuine bosch stuff!