Author Topic: Thermostat housing stud / bolt snapped  (Read 368 times)

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Thermostat housing stud / bolt snapped
« on: March 15, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
My thermostat has been stuck open for as long as i can remember  ;D
so, i got a new one, coolant was due for a change anyway
(3 years since i rebuilt the cylinder head etc)
I SNAPPED one of the bolts (having warned people about the risk in the past)
gave my spare thermostat housing to someone on here  :(

so out came the battery and screen wash tank in order for me to drill the bolt with the housing in situ

that is the first pass with 1.5mm drill
then 3mm, 5mm and finally 6mm
managed to get a stainless hex head set bolt in with a lightly ground m6 nut to retain

probably should have just left the stuck open stat well alone  ;D
only reason i did replace the stat is on MOT test my emissions was, C0 was 1.2% and HC 144 ppm
(i'm allowed C0 of 3.5 and HC 1200 ppm because i have a 20SE engine which is older than the 93 reg carlton it's in)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

Re: Thermostat housing stud / bolt snapped
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »
Is it all OK now Dave.  ???
I find the biggest problem in these situations is having the car off the road which can be a real bind.  Since the Senator which was burnt out I only have access to the Carlton causing greater inconvenience. 

Best of luck.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
Is it all OK now Dave.  ???
yes, all back together thanks  :)
currently just water in the cooling system for a couple of runs
i'll dump the water out and put new antifreeze in once it's flushed round a bit more
(i did back flush the radiator till clear ,but that still leaves the block waterways and heater matrix dirty)
once its been flushed again/refilled with blue vauxhall blood :P ,should be good for a couple of seasons.
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:26:33 PM »
Hello Dave,
Good its all Ok.
I've never back flushed the rad on my carlton perhaps this could also contribute to a lack of heat.
It doesn't really bother me  just the fact that I'm not paddling in water is a big plus.
Did you remove the rad or do the job insitu by just the removing the connecting hoses and then reconnecting after back flushing.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »

Did you remove the rad or do the job insitu by just the removing the connecting hoses and then reconnecting after back flushing.
I just removed the top hose connected a hose pipe to flush ,then bottom hose to reverse flush, then hose pipe in the header tank with bottom hose off .
then refilled with water. ran up to temp to check for leaks and make sure the new stat opened  ;)
flushing the heater matrix by connecting a hosepipe to the rubber heater hose near bulkhead would flush the matrix and may help getting the car blower warmer quicker
 i may do this before re-filling with anti freeze

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
Your car must feel rejuvenated after all of this pampering. New screens and a good flushing - you can't beat a good flushing. ;D You'llbe taking it out of the garage next.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
You'llbe taking it out of the garage next.
The only time my carlton sees a garage is when it stops at one for petrol  ;D
it lives outside ,hence the regular waxing,under-sealing and grease by the tub load  ;)
it does have a tracker and immobilizer and steering lock ...
 and is watched 24/7 by 2 HD cctv recording cameras though   :P

it got washed today too ........

ok, ok  it rained today , but that washes it ?  right  :-\

PeterC

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 05:59:48 PM »
Yes, I do hope so !. Mine is parked at the curb shaded by a tree that oozes sap.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

djbthatsme

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
Hello Dave ,
Just reading your latest comment about your car - the way you pamper it, the waxing, undersealing, greasing and security measures you take I was about to make you an offer for it  ;D

but then I thought its an auto so no way  ;)

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »
It's not an auto. it's a manual 5 speed, 2.0 SE engine, SEH top end.
it is however NOT for sale  ;)

djbthatsme

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
How selfish of you. ;)

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
How selfish of you. ;)

I can cope with that  ::)