Author Topic: heating  (Read 1644 times)

djbthatsme

heating
« on: December 21, 2016, 07:23:50 PM »
Some months ago, when the weather was warmer, I was forced to change the rad on my Carlton which as a 2.0l Manual g/b. It was difficult getting hold of a rad but eventually I did and I  was told that the rad was multi purpose being useful for both the manual and auto g/boxes. Seemingly there is facility to cool the auto box by connecting an additional hose to the rad which otherwise would not be used on the manual transmission carlton. However what I have noticed is that since the rads been changed the temperature gauge indicates that the cooling system is running significantly cooler. Initially this didn't cause a problem for me but now it does. On short journeys, which is what I do mostly, the temperature indicator pointer hardly moves at all. In fact the other day I was wondering whether the thermostat needed checking\changing and my mind turned to thinking that the sensor might be duff. Now I'm wondering if this as been caused by the auto\manual rad and what are the best ways out of this.

Any thoughts guys??

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: heating
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
Short runs will not get the engine up to temperature in winter
if you still have a thermoviscus fan  , that will probably be at least semi seized
cooling even when you don't want it too
if your doing very short runs but need/want heat to clear the screen ,keep ya plumbs warm..,
stop the viscus fan spinning
(strip of gaffa tape from one blade to the cowling  ;) )
just remember to free it again for that one day a year it'd warm in the UK  ;D
or better still.....
remove the fan blades and fit an electric fan with electronic thermostat

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:48:06 PM »
I ditched the viscous fan and fitted an electric fan, works great! heats up quicker and the fan only comes on when stuck in traffic for about 20 - 30 sec's every 3 - 4 min's.
I used a controller from a company called Spiyda, it works two fans from the sensor (either the original still using the gauge or a separate one) I changed the thermostat housing and fitted a second sensor.
Used a dual speed fan from an Astra with a frame and brackets fitted in front of the rad.
Never had any problems with it, set it up once and that's it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:00:31 PM by DKT1 »
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

chris

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:30:17 PM »
In addition to all of the other good advice, a rad change should have no effect on warm up time or heating as the thermostat almost closes the rad off completely until the water is hot.
Your heating should be working using engine heated water just as soon as the engine has heated it and before any goes through the new rad.

Either the thermostat is stuck partly open or your journeys are simply too short to heat the engine and water.

Check the rad hoses for warm water passing into the rad before the heating works as that might give away a broken thermostat.

I had exactly that on my first Carlton, the heating almost never worked and the temp gauge only moved a little.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 01:39:59 PM »
The genuine 4 banger (2 Ltr ) thermostat has a small hole drilled that will allow some flow to the rad even when cold.

you could do the mk 4 astra G thermostat mod or check your stat is not one with the small hole

or just take the scenic route , then the car will be warmed up ,just as you get there.  ;D
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
Thanks guys,
For all your good advice, will do some research and act accordingly.

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »
I have a little more time to respond to the comments you fellow Carltonians made than I had last time, so I shall give more time to this.

Having listened to whats been said my initial thoughts are to look at the thermostat and probably change it after checking the flow of water from engine to rad.

With this in mind I ordered a thermostat for the car from ebay but the supplier that advertised the thermostat screwed up. Even though the Carlton showed up in their listing on their site they claimed it wasn't available when they were contacted. In their ad they had stated that all customers would have to contact them with the cars details to ensure parts were correct for the car in question. However they did offer me an alternative for a higher price - are you thinking what I'm thinking??

In the meantime I've done a couple of 15 mile runs which would have been more than enough to have heated the engine car up to notice but it was still showing cold on the gauge and just about creating some heat in the car.

Even though every piece of advice was carefully evaluated one of the most insightful comments came from a fellow fruit grower in our midst - Dave the Builder. I was unaware that he also had a favourite pastime of fruit growing and much like him I also keep my plums in the car in this cold weather to make sure that they are kept warm. However in the summer I have great difficulty in keeping the greenflies off them so I have to take other precautions, particularly when I'm making jam. 

So this is yet to be resolved and I shall keep you up to date as progress occurs.

chris

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »

In the meantime I've done a couple of 15 mile runs which would have been more than enough to have heated the engine car up to notice but it was still showing cold on the gauge and just about creating some heat in the car.

Classic stuck thermostat symptoms, likely to be an easy fix when you get one.

DKT1

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »
There are loads advertised on Ebay, they come with the housing or not, if you've not changed it before ? get the one with the new housing, as they can corrode quietly under the hose and are really thin after cleaning all the corrosion off.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »
Dave the Builder. I was unaware that he also had a favourite pastime of fruit growing and much like him I also keep my plums in the car in this cold weather to make sure that they are kept warm. However in the summer I have great difficulty in keeping the greenflies off them so I have to take other precautions, particularly when I'm making jam. 

If you have a problem ,but wish to remain "organic" ,( lets face it, no one wants to use harsh chemicals on their plums)
You can order Ladybirds over the internet , please type it into google correctly though ,
you don't want to order ladyboys for your plums  ;)

back to the heating...
the housing and manifold are aluminium alloy, the 3 bolts are steel, (electrolitic corrosion)
so extreme care should be taken when un-doing/tightening the bolts
remember the same 8 valve engine was also fitted to astra.cavalier,calibra etc ,so finding a stat should be easy.

djbthatsme

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
Thanks for your replies Chris, DKT1 and Dave the Builder. The jobs been done now I'm glad to say and heat is starting to filter through but not to a great extent. I expect this may have something to do with the short journeys I take and probably because the viscuous fan is working overtime but the heating is OK. Re your comments Dave I shall type in Ladybirds and see what happens and who's to say I can't order ladyboys for my plums, we all have our preferences you know -OOOH!!

Thanks for the tips ref. the thermostat housing,  points noted.

djbthatsme

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
I just wanted to pick up on this post to show that progress was made.

To date the thermostat  has been changed yet whilst the heats been coming through - distinctly so - the temperature gauge wasn't recording this. The cable was checked and repaired showing only the minutest change on the dial. Just recently the water temperature sensor was changed and this seems to record the temperature correctly. Now my thermally heated feet covered by thermally heated socks are to hot especially over any lengthy distance.   

Now I'll probably have to change my socks - won't I ?

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
You don't need to go to the hassle of changing your socks, wait till crimbo , someone will buy you another pair  ;)
just slide the heat direction knob to screen

djbthatsme

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
Hi Dave,
Done that and even when the heating is at its lowest I'm still getting overheated feet.

This may have something to do with all the red wine I'm imbibing.
I have seen the red wine foot stomping done in Greece or was it Spain and they suffer from tropical hot foot - very nasty.