Author Topic: Diamond 24v breaking  (Read 1193 times)

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: Diamond 24v breaking
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
That is why i need a new flywheel and clutch! Lol

That's not very inspirational  ::)

your the only person i know who owns a vec c
and it sounds like it's had one clutch /flywheel replaced and now needs another  :o 
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

PeterC

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
Ees Jus Testin the various permutations and combinations of power/weight etc for the rest of us I reckon. Carltons are more solid tho.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »
I don't mind replacing the clutch on my carlton every 100k miles or more
it's easy to get at, and the fly wheel would be too
but 4 banger carltons (4 cylinder), don't eat flywheels,it's single mass

I appreciate Chris's" in depth testing" of the vec c clutch /flywheel   :)
I don't have an engine crane to be extracting lumps from FWD cars to access the clutch
(though i do have scaffold in plentiful supply that i could Jerry rig one)
last clutch i did on a FWD was Mrs Builder's elantra
with the engine still in the car, took ages due to the tight spaces and my big sausage fingers  :P

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Hi Dave the Builder,
You are reminding me that the clutch on my CDX may well need changing in the not to distant future. The cars done about K185 and the last time the clutch was changed was at about the K100 mark. Given that the car travels at about K5 a year it could be 3 years or more before its due. Hope the parts are still available.

As to your fat fingers maybe you should have put them on a diet before changing Mrs Builders elantra clutch.  ;)

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
Hi Dave the Builder,
You are reminding me that the clutch on my CDX may well need changing in the not to distant future. The cars done about K185 and the last time the clutch was changed was at about the K100 mark. Given that the car travels at about K5 a year it could be 3 years or more before its due. Hope the parts are still available.

As to your fat fingers maybe you should have put them on a diet before changing Mrs Builders elantra clutch.  ;)
100k is not the life of a clutch, some will last much longer, some only a short time, depends on quality of the clutch and the style of driving.
 clutch kits are easy enough to get hold of, last i fitted was a luk kit off ebay, good kit, very cheap

Mrs Builder's elantra has gone , thank god  :D
got her an astra G shooting brake a few years ago,

djbthatsme

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
Its been a while but I'll respond to Dave the Builders' comment. I agree with the points you have made but similar to service schedules the timing of changing the clutch is a benchmark I have set for the future. Vehicle manufacturers set service schedules to advise owners to carry out maintenance procedures to help ensure that vehicles operate at optimum levels and breakdowns are kept to a minimum. Likewise I have set myself a mileage figure when the clutch could be due to be changed. Clearly driving patterns are a consideration amongst other features that will establish when there is an absolute need to change the clutch.  Generally there is a need to repair the clutch when its not functioning properly and changing the clutch components - friction plate, pressure plate etc when they are near or at the end of their usefulness - worn out.

In the instance I have expressed, given that the full clutch assembly was changed around about a K100 (the first time) then it is fair to assume that the next assumed need to change the clutch would approximately be at a similar mileage of use. Dave you are quite correct in the comments you make but it is also fair to add that lengths\types of journeys will influence the wear rate of a clutch.

It is also fair to say that for much of the K100 of the cars mileage when the clutch was changed I was neither the owner or driver. Undoubtedly my driving pattern will more than likely be different than previous owners and taking into consideration other variables such as quality of components, vehicle running efficiency etc there will be differences. However the clutch was changed  at or about K100 and I have set this as a yardstick to use as a guide to when I next need to have the clutch changed. ;)

PeterC

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
If it was me I would wait until the clutch was beginning to misbehave. Knowing my luck this would be at the very beginning of a long and arduous journey. Like the one I did last Friday Croydon to Archway - 2 1/2 hours there and about 2 hours back !!!. Lots of gear changing I imagine - cannot be sure because the auto does it by itself. I prefer manual but this is a case where the auto probably saved me a lot of effort. I was rather knackered yesterday though. Trouble with auto is my bent left leg knocks the sat-nav power supply out of the lighter socket !. I keeps my left foot away from the missing left peddle and therefore the nearest other pedal (stop pedal) as a sharp stab on that middle pedal can damage the windscreen  :o
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.