Author Topic: Roof lining repositioning  (Read 1668 times)

djbthatsme

Roof lining repositioning
« on: October 23, 2016, 06:33:23 PM »
The roof lining is coming away from around the top of the front windscreen and rear screen.
I've tried to stick the front one before but its decided to part company again so this will need attention.
The back part seems a bit more of a problem, its starting to sag and seems to be larger than the area it has to cover.

Any thoughts fellow enthusiast ? :-\

0795omega

Re: Roof lining repositioning
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »
used spray adhesive on mine for now,ideally could eventually do with replacing one day though.

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
I've been collecting all the materials to do my estate over the last month or so, found it very hard to get a match on the grey brushed nylon from all the usual trim suppliers, until I came across a company called Mega Van Mats in Pudsey, who had an almost identical match factoring in twenty years of fading, when it arrived I was very pleased with the colour, should look original. Been working on fitting more interior lights into the what seem like cargo restraint holes?(as all the plastic covers broke when I tried to remove them) So just waiting to get the incentive/courage to start, at least when I'm struggling to get it out & back in on my own I'll have the thought spurring me on that it's easier to do on an estate. Had to cut all the back half off as I kept sticking it back up with spray glue and it kept falling back down as soon as I went on any lengthy journeys so I couldn't see out the back and rear passengers had it resting on there heads  ;D once the foam has gone all crumbly it's curtains (I couldn't resist it  ;D).
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
Thanks 0795omega and DKT1 for your replies,
The foam seemsto be OK and I have to hand some spray adhesive which I intend to use to hopefully resolve the problem. By the sound of it we are all in the same boat so when we are finished the job we can exchange info. Happy sticking   ::)

flash911

• NO!! Not More Rust FFS!!
  • Wanted: Life
  • 12 Cylinders, 48 valves. ;0)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »
how easy is it to get head lining out of an estate ?
One Day!

DKT1

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:36:42 PM »
Supposed to be a lot easier than a saloon?
The first problems I've had so far are, the rear light plastic clip has all but broken, the load restraint holes have plastic covers that have all now broken trying to remove them, so I have resolved to fit new interior lights in there place and the rear one, I'm using BMW number plate LED lights, they need a slight modification but should look OK and will give the inside a new brighter look.
Next to do is the rear trims, I've taken them off before so know that you have to get in behind where the clips are and lever, and just as you think it's going to break it comes off!
There's a clip in the centre of the rear section I just know is going to break as I've tried to get it out before so have hopefully now sourced a replacement in grey, just have to find out what size the hole is, hopefully 7mm or 8mm.
Then just the 'B' pillar covers with the seat belts in, the centre front light/roof controls panel (should be easy enough), sliding roof edging, 'A' pillar covers just clip on, had these off before when I had the new screen put in after I welded up the lower screen panel.
I think that just leaves the door aperture rubbers holding it up, I will be doing it with someone else so removing the rubbers and easing down the headlining should be fairly easy and sliding it out the back.
I'll let you know if it's any different when I get round to it, maybe next week as I've had work come in this week and it's cold, next week they say is going to be a little warmer? (doing it outside)
Still have to source some panel glue to stick the bar that goes across the centre of the roof as I know this is not glued any more, as the roof pops when the cat's walk across it, then I'm all set to get it out, clean it up, stick the new headlining on it and slide it back in, barring what else I find when it comes out!!!
Just remembered I've got to recover the sliding roof bit first and then the 'A' pillar covers.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
how easy is it to get head lining out of an estate ?

all depends flash!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

DKT1

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »
Headlining might be on hold for yet another week!
Just refitted the old heater matrix back in, as the new one I'd fitted had a small leak and kept getting air locked and I wasn't overly happy with the heat output when it did work.
It's no fun in this weather without a heater.
Good job done 1 1/2 hrs in the rain, fitted all new foam rubber seals on it, a bit tight to get in but it works great now "lovely and hot"
So just went to move the seat back and adjust the height a bit! "Snap" went the height adjuster.
Cover off, drilled off the washer, drilled and tapped the shaft and fitted a 6mm bolt to hold it all back together for now.
Worked out how I could make a new one from steel, 64mm pipe, 19mm pipe, flat plate, got all that in stainless left over from all the other mods I've done recently, just cut it and weld it up, hardest bit is trying to refit the sliding handle back in the new pipe, might have to sacrifice a small amount of extension and screw the lower part in, we'll see? at least it will be stronger than the plastic!
So as the seat is up and wont go down I'll have to do this first so I can still use it, sprayed all the joints up so it might start moving easier by the time I get it made and fitted, I'll let you know if it works as I feel this might be happening to a few of you in the near future as the plastic gets brittle?

0795omega

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »
amazed your seat height adjuster worked in the first place,dont think any of the carltons ive ever had have worked!

DKT1

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 11:11:39 PM »
It's always worked fine, never been even stiff, maybe that's why it broke as I put too much pressure on it expecting it to be the same as always?
Start making the new handle tomorrow, done the drawings to work from, maybe do so pic's if it looks any good, only got a MIG welder so have to weld and grind off with stainless but it looks all right in the end, just made a battery tray on it looks OK!

DKT1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »
Just been out in the car and the heater is working brilliantly never been as good, fitting new foam rubber strips all round it has sealed it in nicely, even got heat coming out of all the side vents now, never had that in 15 years!!

0795omega

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 01:54:30 PM »
excellent stuff,so rewarding when you do a job yourself and it turns out better than it was before aswell !!