Author Topic: My camera  (Read 1227 times)

djbthatsme

My camera
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »
I've been trying to wind myself up to taking photos of the Carlton to post on the site. There is a problem which may be insurmountable ie the software for the camera is not recognized by windows 10 which is on my computer. The camera is a Fujifilm FinePix A920 and I've already spoken to the manufacturers and PC World  to see if theres a way round the problem. Both of them are saying that there  isn't other than buying a new camera.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  ::)

chris

Re: My camera
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »
I dont know much about such things but I dont see why that would matter.

Can you take the memory card out of the camera and put it in a card slot or buy a card reader?

Its about time we saw some pics of your car

Street Sleeper

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
As above surely the  photos would be either jpeg or bitmap? Once on a memory card surely a reader will just show it as a file?
89 Project tube GSI 6000 16V!

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »
Thanks Street Sleeper and chris for your replies,
I wish it was as simple as you believe but at the moment many camera owners seem to be having problems in transfering files onto computers running windows 10.

DKT1

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:12:26 PM »
I have a FInepix S1800, that uses the same file format etc, JPEG (Exif Ver. 2.2)
And use it on the USB port, I have no problem using it without the Fujifilm app on Win 10, just opening the folder and transferring the data across.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

chris

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:17:12 AM »
Hello DJB, I can easily understand that the camera software wouldnt work with a newer version of Windows than was around when it was developed.
What we are saying is dont bother with any Fuji software at all and dont try to plug the camera into the computer, you shouldnt need it.

My digital camera is a Canon A590IS, its quite old, I think pre Windows 7, but I dont try to use any Canon software and never had a problem with Windows 7 or 10 just transfering files off the card.

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:36:56 PM »
Just catching up on this post. I read through the camera instructions once again, more thoroughly this time, and found that a cable was required that was not included in the sent material. Fuji were penny pinchers IMHO and this doesn't do they rep any good. I bought the cable from another source and connected the camera to the PC and hey presto I was able to transfer the files from the disc to PC. I now need to move on from this - don't hold your breath.  8)

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
Yes I have found that the pictures on the camera (well on its memory card) are just dumb files in folders that even DOS could get at.

If I connect a camera to the PC the PC sees it as an external drive - like a usb stick. It is also readable if you take the memory card out of the camera and put it in the memory card slot on the PC. You might not have this slot so go get a usb stick like thing with a memory card slot in it.

A few years ago the missus had a corrupt memory card in the camera and the camera could read / show no pictures at all. I put the card in a PC (well laptop) and could view and copy all the photos bar one. I copied the photos, formatted the card and then let the camera format the card. The card worked fine for a while then misbehaved again. The replacement card also got corrupt so I decided the camera was going duff.

All done without using the cameras software.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.