Author Topic: Refurbishing a brake caliper  (Read 1793 times)

djbthatsme

Refurbishing a brake caliper
« on: October 08, 2016, 05:55:26 PM »
What I'm trying to do is determine how long it would take to service a brake caliper.

To put you in the picture, the MOT man told me that the cars front brakes were out of balance. They were both working but one of the brakes was less  efficient than the other so a sticking caliper was  diagnosed as the cause. I've already established how long it should be to change the brake pads. What I would like is the time judged to be realistic to remove the the caliper, service it and replace it.

Clearly the caliper is working but not as it should so it will need to be stripped, cleaned up and refurbished with a service kit. 

I have my own idea but I would welcome your input.

DKT1

Re: Refurbishing a brake caliper
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »
Firstly, you should be doing both callipers.
Secondly, You'll need to bleed the system afterwards, so will need to have an auto bleed tool or an accomplice to help with this.
So bank on it taking all day and you wont be far wrong  ;)
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

chris

Re: Refurbishing a brake caliper
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
If miraculously nothing is seized and its just a matter of disassemble, replace seals, reassemble, fill with fluid and bleed a couple of hours per side shouldnt be a probem.

No need for any bleed equipment or second person on a Carlton or most other cars.

In reality expect lots of corrosion, thats what will be stopping something moving as it should and causing your imbalance. That will need to be cleaned off, other things could be seized including bleed nipple and brake pipe too.

He will need to supply fluid too, and its the prefect time to do a fluid replacement, after all seized calipers or corroded cylinder bores are often caused by neglecting 2 yearly fluid changes as the fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water which then causes most problems).

If I was doing it I would expect to spend a good part of a day doing both sides and thats assuming no disasters like snapped bleed nipple or unsalvageable pistons.