Author Topic: How to weld wheel arches ?  (Read 2080 times)

djbthatsme

How to weld wheel arches ?
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
I'm having the wheel arches renewed on the Carlton and was told that the arches would not be completely welded because this would cause distortion. In some ways I can uderstand this but surely if the arches were tack welded in a prescribed manner then distortion could be minimised or even eliminated. After this was done could the arches not be welded between the tack welding to form a continuous complete weld to help eliminate the prospect of rust between the seams. I am not a welder but it seems to me that arches should not be havens of rust that need to be changed every 3-5 years. I look forward to your comments guys  ???

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
Re: How to weld wheel arches ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »
Find a better welder/body shop!
They should be welded completely but when i did mine i tacked them at each end and then every 4" and just kept going back and forth to prevent heat distortion time consuming but well worth the effort!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

chris

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
I've welded a lot of wheelarches into Carltons, with good technique and good planning of where to weld and cut it can be done without significant distortion and should definitely be 100% welded. There is no reason other than poor workmanship why they should be a regular consumable.

On my last project car (scrapyard dodger) I put the wheelarches in it in 2010 as a rush job outdoors in October and they are still good with rust only where I didnt bother to protect the edge. I was just aiming for one more MOT at the time. Do a good job and keep on top of protection and they should last many years.

chris

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:36:26 PM »
Find a better welder/body shop!

[/quote

This is also my thought.

Einarrson

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:44:42 PM »
I didn't have any distortion when I did one of my rear arches. There is a thread somewhere with photos by me.

As CM said it's important to do the spot welds in the right sequence.

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:02:42 PM »
Thanks for your reply guys,
I've been to see the car today and armed with your comments discussed the welding of the rear arches. The welder had already spot welded one of them which I wasn't happy with because he considered that it was finished and ready for painting. I told him I wasn't happy with this and that they needed to be completely welded. He seems to be a guy that wants to please his customers and even though he maintains that the arches could be distorted he was prepared to fully weld them. I have impressed upon him the need to have a good job done and that I am prepared to pay for this, so as the jobs grown we've continued to increase the price. 

stemo

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
Weld, cool, weld, cool - sure it's a long process in terms of time but it's not outside the realms of anyone with a welder and the skill...! Be interested to see the end result.

djbthatsme

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »
Thanks for your comments Stemo. I would like to show you the end results but the camera I have is out of date - a Fujifilm FinePix A920. I am using Windows 10 which doesn't support the cameras  software and at the moment I haven't found a way around this. I can take photos with my mobile but again I'm not sure if they can be uploaded to this site. Any ideas would be welcome.

Hello Carlton-mad, In the sequence you've recommended would you spot weld all the way around the arch then weld 4 inches at one end, then go the other end and weld 4 inches, then return to the opposite side and continue welding for 4 inches where you left off etc. This would continue until the complete arch is welded forming an unbroken bond from one end to the other.  Do you not find it necessary to allow a cooling off period between welding for the dissipation of heat. From the comments there seems to be different approaches to the job and I would like to appreciate each for future involvement.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:13:58 PM by djbthatsme »

chris

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:24:09 PM »
I'm going to guess that he doesnt mean four inches but individual tacks that eventually become a continuous weld, so a quarter inch at a time perhaps.

I'd guess that your body man already knows this technique.

Where you cut a Carlton arch makes a huge difference too, keeping the crease in original metal add lots of strength and prevents distortion but it seems its been cut now so its not worth worrying about that.

djbthatsme

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
Hello once again chris. Both of the arches are probably welded in place now so theres little I can do about changing this and if heat distortion as occurred I'll soon know because I'll be speaking to the welder tomorrow. The finish of the repair work is overdue  so a visit is in order when I'll be able to see the job and discuss any mods or additions which are required.

Then the MOTs next - I'm not to optimistic.