Author Topic: Help needed on wiring on LCD Dash Carlton GSI  (Read 1119 times)

Autosmart

Help needed on wiring on LCD Dash Carlton GSI
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
Hi
I have a 1993 Carlton GSI 24V
which I have done a full nut and bolt restoration on,
I have purchased some LCD Clocks for the vehicle and need the Wiring Diagram so I can fit them into as the Original one's were not Lcd's
would be happy for any advice

chris

Re: Help needed on wiring on LCD Dash Carlton GSI
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 05:03:08 PM »
Hello and welcome.

There is a thread directly above this one on the opposite conversion that might help.

The wiring diagrams are in the Haynes manual and are quite useful.

If you have bought a digital dash I would advise testing it before going to the trouble of fitting it because its very common indeed for them to be faulty.

Here is a few lines I wrote trying to remember how to test a digital dash out of the car recently for someone else.

Firstly the plug I had wired up for testing dashes out of the car is missing, cant find it anywhere which is very annoying as it would have been very easy to photograph the connections and a dash powered up, if I find it I'll do that.

I did find the scribbled info I noted when investigating and testing dashes though.

The plug you want is identified in the Haynes manual as X8, according to my notes its white and has 26 pins, some arent connected but at least the plug is 2 pins wide and 13 long.

As I dont have the plug to hand I dont know if its numbered but in my sketch looking at the plug with the wires entering from the top, on the right hand side the pins are numbered 1 to 13 top to bottom, on the left are pins 14 to 26 top to bottom.

As a quick check my notes say that wire number 1 is coloured blue and white, that should make it easy to find No 1 and count from there.
Wire number 14 beside 1 is brown and white, so similar to 1, take care to get the numbers right.

To make the dash live out of the car and prove whether it works just connect the following pins, the dash should behave just as when turning on the ignition but not starting the engine -

Pin 3 to positive (car wire colour black), live for backlighting.
Pin 5 to positive (car wiring colour black)
Pin 9 to negative (car wire colour brown), main earth
Pin 10 to negative (car wire colour brown(, earth for backlighting.
Pin 15 to positive (car wire colour black)
Pin 24 to positive, (car wire colour red) this one might not be needed but not sure so why not.

A handy plug snipped from an old harness is the easy way to do this, like the one I have lost!

Autosmart

Re: Help needed on wiring on LCD Dash Carlton GSI
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »
Thank you for your reply
I have only two plugs on the car a black 14 pin and a black 16pin
I will try and power up the dash' it should be ok as it is New(old stock)
Possible may have to get a auto electrician in ' but any help is a plus
    Thanks again  :)