Author Topic: Breakdown - You couldn't, you wouldn't believe it - but its happened again!!!  (Read 1730 times)

djbthatsme

If I wasn't so level headed  :o I could be led to believe that my trips to Wales are jinxed. Travelling down to the valleys towards the end of last month I was on the heads of the valley road when the car started to slow down and then it stopped. Side long glances between thing and myself and the "I cannot believe it" were exchanged before I lifted the bonnet. My eyes focused immediately on the dangling unattached king lead which was repositioned allowing the continuation of the journey. We had travelled over unusually rough surface on the trip but I've never experienced a king lead jumping off before, still I am prepared to chalk this up as a new experience. Now if this in itself is not enough theres was more to happen. Days later I drove to a local village called Pontlottyn to buy some weedkiller but when returning to the car I couldn't start it due to the starter motor being stuck. >:(

After much pushing and shoving with very little room to do much, I was parked between 2  cars, i decided to call my friendly breakdown service for help. There was quite a long wait ahead of me so I popped up to a local motor factors and ordered a replacement starter motor. Fortunately they were able to get one delivered that day from down in the depths of Cardiff . Breaking down at the time I did was fortunate  ::) because any later would have meant a next days delivery. Anyway when the breakdown truck finally arrived the car was taken to a local garage to be refitted with the replacement startermotor. This had been arranged over the phone by the motorfactors. In the meantime, whilst waiting for the part to arrive I was taken to my holiday home in sunny Wales with rain. I picked up the car the following day after a healthy heart warming walk - chalking this up to another wonderful Carlton episode.

I'm going to Wales again soon - what next :D

0795omega

what engine is in it bud?

djbthatsme

hello 0795omega - its a 2.0 manual 1991 CDX

0795omega

oh usually a1 the 2.0 i find perhaps she doesnt like wales!!

djbthatsme

Not to be outdone the car wouldn't start yesterday at home in Derbyshire, just the same old clicking sound.  >:(So I made sure the battery was fully charged leaving it on charge for a good 10 hours before I attempted to start the car again today. Well as you can probably guess it didn't, so in line with experience I tried to rock it but nothing happened apart from getting stuck in the middle of the road. Fortunately one of the guys I know from the garage I use was passing and he stopped and checked the car over. It seems that there could be a voltage drop when trying to start the car the test meter showing fluctations so the wiring or and earth could be suspect.  Anyway with some jump leads the car was started and I drove it to the garage where it was left for them to sort out. Later on today should give me a better understanding of whats happening.  8)

0795omega

good luck with it bud,looks like it certainly needs a good auto sparky to go through and eliminate things!

stemo

Sounds like exactly what I had on my 2.0. If you bridge the solenoid on the starter with a screwdriver it will start - it's the wiring from the battery IIRC, it corrodes and provides too much resistance. I fixed it by changing the engine for a 3.0.

djbthatsme

Its returned from its second home - the local garage :-[ We had a good jaw about it and it was decided that the best way forward was to check and clean the wiring contacts which it seems was done. When I went to pick it up it started straight away and its done the same ever since, so I'm pretty pleased. The price was pretty good as well - an early xmas gift ;D

Murph

• Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
Remove the starting loom and melt some fresh solder into all the joints with a blow torch.
Over time the joints corrode and cause high resistance. Reflowing the solder will cure it.

djbthatsme

Thanks for your reply Murph.
 Since its repair the car's been starting OK but should the  problem raise its nasty head again I will certainly bear this in mind.  8)