Author Topic: Dizzy cap white deposits  (Read 922 times)

bootie3367

• Global Moderator
  • Wanted: Life
  • *Ahem* Enix village, Spain, miles from Murph!
Dizzy cap white deposits
« on: April 13, 2016, 05:01:48 PM »
I planned to change the dizzy cap, rotor arm and plugs prior to oil and filter change.
Monday just gone I was driving up the road when the engine management light flicked on then off, then it did it again and has been doing so intermittently since then. No blink test as it clears it self!
Anyhoo, took off the dizzy cap to replace it and the rotor arm. If I remember correctly it's only been on for about 5k miles.
Inside the posts where the plug leads go is a white deposit and it's about 1 to 2mm thick, there is also a white deposit inside the ends of the plug leads, nothing on the king lead and no carbon tracking inside the dizzy, there were some deposits on the inside terminals and some on the rotor arm.
Is this white deposit due to terminals in the dizzy being aluminium or is due to plug lead ends being slightly larger than terminals inside the dizzy posts?
I have never seen this before with this car, in fact I have never come across it before in any car with a dizzy that I have owned previous. Can any one shed any light on this. I do have pics but CBA going through photobucket unless anyone really really want's to see them.
I am going to slightly crimp the ends of the plug leads before putting them onto the new dizzy just to make sure they are a snug fit.
All comments welcome fellow enthusiasts.

Cheers
Jon
Drives: 2.6 CDXi estate, Lowered, 16" 5 spokes. De-catted. Soon to be chipped (maybe)

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: Dizzy cap white deposits
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
electrolytic corrosion perhaps
copper + aluminium + high voltage  :-\
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:33:10 PM »
Could it be the barmy Spanish air maybe from the sea  ;)

bootie3367

• Global Moderator
  • *Ahem* Enix village, Spain, miles from Murph!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »
Wrong dizzy cap! It's a 24v version I have not the 12v, terminals inside the posts are much smaller!!!!
Drives: 2.6 CDXi estate, Lowered, 16" 5 spokes. De-catted. Soon to be chipped (maybe)