Author Topic: The journey a gamble?  (Read 1245 times)

djbthatsme

The journey a gamble?
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »
Out of the last four times I've taken my periodical run to Wales I've had trouble with the Carlton on three occasion's  :'( even though I spend quite a lot of money and time in perparation of the event. You may remember that when the car let me down the last time it took the breakdown service about seven and three quarter hours to get me home which was something like 60\70miles away :o. That wasn't their greatest moment nor ours ::). At least I got reimbursed which covered the cost of the following years breakdown service. Unfortunately this was split tree ways with yours truly getting less than a third of the take - something went wrong there I reckon :D.
With this pending trip I've gone to the extent of having the plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads as well as the radiator, header tank and three of the four connecting hoses changed. The fourth hose as been repaired and the handbrake as also been adjusted and lubricated. Because the cars rattling somewhat the exhaust was checked over today and the mounting rubbers have perished and split so hopefully they'll be changed tomorrow. But I have been told that the exhaust system needs changing due to the signs of old age and weakness - in keeping with its owner no doubt. If I could get to see a doctor I would claim, under the articles of the Geneva convention, for a complete refurbishment. An unlikely  or perhaps less than a snowballs chance in hell of achieveing.  Well lets see how the journey goes this time.  ;) I don't know why I keep this car theres plenty of others out there.
To end on a high note the car does seem to be starting and running better since its recent pampering, so I'm hoping that the car will not let me down and the journey is not such a gamble.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
Re: The journey a gamble?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »
If the exhaust is not blowing and you get the rubbers swapped (so it's supported) I don't see why your being told to change it.....
other than, they want money off you .
don't bother swapping parts unless they are worn out, perished or failing
good luck with the trip
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
Take a different route the car may have had a bad experience with your usual one
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »
Thanks for your replies carlton_mad and Dave the Builder its good to know that someone will communicate with me.  ;)There seems to be so few posts being started on the site which IMHO is not a good thing. Anyway, that aside, my cars had a few bad experiences on this route but using an alternative would add a lot of time and distance to the journey. Still on one occasion I was diverted on the return journey some years ago when the current vehicle at the time decided it would have an unscheduled rest at a place called Shuthanger (it does exist). However when phoning  home to let them know what had happened  I misinterpreted the name calling it Sh*thanger instead. Because of the local dialect I misunderstood what the name of the locality was called and did get some funny looks from those that could hear my conversation  ;D  Happy days.
Sadly Dave the exhaust is blowing, so I'm told, but I'm going to try and squeeze a few more miles out of the existing one anyway. Then after I return from Wales I shall throw myself under the car to see what the state of the exhaust is. Today two rubber mountings were fitted and the rattling seems to have stopped so this may be alright for a time - it only cost me just under 15:00 so it should be worth it.  8) The last time the exhaust was changed was on 15 December 2010 so I've had over 5 years out of it when it was only covered for 2 years , which i don't think is so bad and its probably ready for a change now.   As to the parts that were changed the rad and header tank were cracked and either needed repairing or changing. I took the latter option and have kept both units so if there is a need in the future when parts cannot be acquired then at least theres a possibility of repairing them. Normally I change the leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm quite frequently and keep the old ones leaving me once again with an option but on this occasion I shall be dumping the lot because of the engine missing a beat. Since they've been changed  the engine seems better so thats my reasoning, for better or worse. Thanks guys for your comments, they're always welcome.  ;)   

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
5 years on the zorst is fair enough,
I just priced the bits on ebay
chances are it's
mid box is $28.50 OR
rear box is 24
the front pipe and cat tend to be much stronger /better made and last well
I see from your other post your Derby way ?
if you buy what ever pipes it needs and want it fitting .....
 give me a shout ( free labour ;) )
(as long as you have somewhere to park it off road ,I have ramps)

If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »
Hi Dave, Your offer to fit the exhaust is very much appreciated but sadly I don't have offroad access.  8)