Author Topic: Insurance - the moving target  (Read 3501 times)

djbthatsme

Insurance - the moving target
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
Hi all, once again insurance time is upon my Carlton CDX. Being in the middle of a contentious claim for the burnt Senator I'm Looking for insurance for my Carlton. I'm seeking advice from other members to find an insurer who will cover my car for a fixed value - any advice is gratefully accepted.
Thanks all. DJBthatsme

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
Re: Insurance - the moving target
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »
Trouble is if you dont have a modern daily you will be hard pressed to find someone to give an agreed value
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

djbthatsme

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
Thanks for replying carlton-mad can you clarify "modern daily"?

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »
A car that is more plastic than steel
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

andyf

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »
Hi was wondering how you were getting on with the senny claim as I never seen it come up for sale yet.

chris

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 12:29:49 AM »
What Carlton mad is getting at is that you will have trouble taking out a classic insurance policy for your Carlton unless it is a second car, the main car being on an ordinary policy.

You wont get an agreed value without a classic policy.

Some companies will give you a classic policy without another ordinary car in the house but not many, you will need to ring around.

When ringing around my only advice is keep away from Adrian Flux, many people have had bad experiences including me, they have a terrible reputation but offer seemingly too good to miss quotes. Too good to be true normally is just that.

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »
Thanks for your reply Chris. You seem to be quite right ref. the insurance, i have had trouble finding what I wanted so I've opted for something I'm still not completely happy with ::). In a way I'm ashamed to say that I've returned to my existing Insurers after much research :-[. Even though my claim hasn't been finalised I thought I'd speak to SAGA to see whether they could better their existing quote and they did . They reduced their existing quote of 163 by 20 to 143 which I accepted. Even though this goes against the grain I thought what the hell take the benefit and fight them from within.

What say you?

ian

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »
Have they still not paid out for the Senny?
Classic Car Insurance www.Hagertyinsurance.co.uk    iarthur@hagerty.com
0844 824 1130

djbthatsme

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »
Hello Ian, an offer as been made which I've refused so we are still at the negotiation stage. :-X

PeterC

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
Hopefully the insurance company will see the need to RETAIN your custom as it has not left yet  ;).
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

djbthatsme

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »
Thanks Ian, theres an old saying which you've probably heard "its not over until the fat lady sings". Well she hasn't sung yet. 

djbthatsme

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »
Well I thought that I'd bring you all up to date ref. my burnt out Senator. I'm pretty sure that andyf at least might want to know so here goes. After much to-ing and fro-ing  between myself and the insurer we've now got to the stage where the Ombudsman is going to look at the case. I'm pretty sure that the insurer thought that I might have conceded by now, wanting the cash to pay for a daily runaround. It seems like most claimants are in this position but there are some of us who can fall back on a standby vehicle which in my case is my trusty old Carlton. So this is the next part of the sequence which will take as long as it does, I'm not in any particular hurry.  :P :P   

djbthatsme

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »
Just to bring the readers up to date, my claim for the Senny went off to the Ombudsman yesterday. ::) I've put together a detailed submission, which I'm hoping will do the trick. Its been a long dragged out operation but at least I'll feel as if I've done my best against the insurance world. They are to quick to take our money but not so quick when it comes to paying out.  I've made just one claim in over 50 years of driving so I'm not a habitual claimant and the incident was not my fault. It was a consequence of the car being burnt beyond economic repair which the fuzz believe to be a case of arson. The car itself was one of only two left in existence, a 3.0l manual 12 v\v CD, so it was very rare. They've tried to fob me off with the a faulty auto which clearly  would need repairing and changing over to manual to be consistent with that which was lost. They didn't like my detailed written response when the cost of this was put before them showing how much this would entail in terms of acquiring the many parts required and the cost of the considerable hours that it would take. The cost of the ex police Senator thats currently for sale on car and Classic didn't go down well either when they were presented with it  - 7995.  :P :P

I'm optimistic  but don't really believe that I'll be completely successful but at least I've made  a formidable challenge and perhaps given them a headache to contend with.  ;D ;D

In closing I would say that seeing some of the work thats been achieved by the enthusiasts on this site theres a good possibility that the car can be saved from extinction if someones prepared to take it on.

0795omega

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 11:27:41 AM »
good luck with taking them on,like you say all too quick to take our money, then when we need their help they cop a deaf un!!

andyf

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 11:23:50 PM »
Keep me informed as I'm still keen on saving it. Thanks andy.

djbthatsme

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
Will do andyf ;D