Author Topic: Wanted intelligent emissions controller.  (Read 1778 times)

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
Wanted intelligent emissions controller.
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »
Looks like VW have the answer to my MOT fears  ;). I wonder if a VW engine management system could be used on my car  ;D. Only big difference is the VW ones are diesel and mines a petrol  ::).

Good to know its the manufacturer that will be blamed.

Seriously though I wonder if the owners of the actual cars will get penalised. Could their road tax increase (faster than for the rest of us) ?. Will the cars lose value ?.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

stemo

Re: Wanted intelligent emissions controller.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
They haven't been found in breach of any EU or UK laws yet so no one over here would need to worry.

bstardchild

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 08:15:10 PM »
They haven't been found in breach of any EU or UK laws yet so no one over here would need to worry.

Exactly and more to the point what were they thinking selling 4 pot oil burners to yanks - it's simple in the US you either buy a large 4x4 people carrier or pickup powered by at the very min a V6 and pref a V8 or you buy a prius or other hybrid.....
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

PeterC

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
Would be interesting to know how the engine managememnt system detected a test situation. An obvious one is that I suppose the back pressure inreases if the exhaust is attached to a measuring machine. Another reason would be dead steady revs (no changing demand from the accelerator pedal). I have just gathered that apparently the car knows if the steering is being turned.

What puzzles me is that if the software reduces the emissions when it thinks its being watched then why not permanently reduce the emissions ?. Is it that performance is impaired or fuel economy gets poorer ?. If so I suppose the US owners are going to either cough up more for road tax (or whatever they have in the US) or have the car modified to behave differently (in some inferior way). Or maybe its just going to speed up the rate at which the head gasket fails, the pistons get holed or something similar ?.

Begs the question. Are there any other manufacturers who have trod the same path to enhanced US sales ?.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »
The vw engines wont rev when stationsry anove 3000 rpm same on bmw and someercs
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

nightmare

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 12:54:08 AM »
Would be interesting to know how the engine managememnt system detected a test situation.

Quite simple:

IF the wheels are NOT turning USE test parameters.

Coupled with hand brake and neutral or Park selected, depending on transmission (manual or Auto).

Simple one line of programming.
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

nightmare

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
A simple way to find out the real emissions would be to put it on a rolling road then check at differing speeds/loads.
 Once done BILL VAG and adjust the figures for all effected vehicles.

Any customers who don't like the NEW tax class SHOULD be able to take their vehicle back for a FULL refund of the original purchase price inc all taxes.

Are cars covered under the "sale of goods act"?
I.E. satisfactory as described and last for a reasonable time (SAD FART).
If so they are already entitled to a full refund.

One for the legal teams to fight out.
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!