Author Topic: heater control vent  (Read 2411 times)

copper

• fan of old rock music 80s
heater control vent
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:13:28 PM »
is it possible while changing the heater matrix on my diplomat auto that i could have disconected something that allows the heater flap to close properly as i still have heat coming out from under dash when heater is off , temperature gauge running under halfway since new rad fitted , i found a black peg looking thing that might have fallen down from under drivers side dashboard .

DKT1

Re: heater control vent
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »
Iv'e just changed the same on my 2.0 Auto Diamond Estate (heater matrix & radiator) runs very cool now 85 - 90, fitted a new thermostat to see if would hold it at 90? but it's still the same.(electric fan comes on at 95)
The heater matrix you fitted, was it exactly the same as the one I got was a slightly different style and didn't fit the aperture on the right as close as the old one, but I had some rubber seaing strip handy and that filled the gap nicely, now no air leaking out under the dash.
Just managed to undo the mounting screw and pull it out enough to put the strip all round and eased it in as it went back, it just kills your back laying upside down in the footwel, don't it! lol
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

copper

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »
well the matrix i fitted was 2mm bigger than one i took out so had to modify the passenger side matrix apperture , pipe side was nice fit so dont think air escaping from there ,anyway i also changed rad and my temp running at 80 even at 70mph pulling up hill in devon very pleased with that .

DKT1

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
Had the dash out over the weekend, replaced the fuel and temp gauges, mine went all speck-ally, now the temp gauge reads 100 as the centre mark not 90 as before, it supposedly came from the same car? (changed all the bulbs, much brighter now!)
The point of this is!
I checked on the side of the heater and could only find pegs on the arms the cables attach to that operate the flaps, if you've broke one of those off, you must have given it a good shove?

copper

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »
the peg type thing that fell out under dash was about 30 mm long would this b about the same size as peg on heater cables ,thanks for looking .

DKT1

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »
Oh no!
That's a big peg! ;D
The pegs on the arms are only about 10 - 12mm long, 5 - 6mm round, I can't think of anything I see on the side of the heater that would be that big!
Was it round black plastic - 30mm long?
Is the hot air coming from the vent in the footwell, where the carpet meets the centre consul?
If it is, you might have pulled one of the control wires off, they have a round coiled end on them, they don't have any clips to hold them on, they rely on the the clip that holds the outer cable in position to keep it straight, so when the inner cable is at it's longest it's possible to pull it off.
You'll be on your back under that dash with a torch a few times more before it's solved, I bet.

copper

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
R that sounds like plug type thing i have ,how easy is it to put back bearing in mind ime not double jointed ha ha .

DKT1

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
I think it could be a pivot for one of the arms?
I've tried everywhere to get a picture of the right hand side of the heater but can only find ones of the left side!
Looks like your gonna be on your back in the footwell!!