Author Topic: Carlton GSi 24v G624XME Scrapyard Dodger  (Read 24049 times)

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
Re: Carlton GSi 24v G624XME Scrapyard Dodger
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
Indeed!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

djbthatsme

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2016, 05:58:57 PM »
I must say Chris that you've done some astounding work which I commend you for. ;) If you were near I would be knocking on your door to do some work on my Carlton. ;D Well done.

stemo

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
I'm so impressed with the way this has come out, I've been captivated with every update. A real nice level of workmanship! Well deserved MOT pass there sir  8)

chris

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments DJB and Stemo

I missed a bit of the story, after all of the other challenges sent to test me during the project the last straw (almost) was the car trying to put me out of action.
Before the engine was installed I was doing some prep and working under the car quite a bit.
I came home one day and a neighbour had put some jackable ramps out to be collected by the scrap man, they looked handy so I asked and got them.
I decided to put the back of the car on normal ramps, and the front on these jackable ones once Iíd freed them off, so far so good and the car high enough to help a lot with access underneath now that Iíd lost the access to the pit after what happened at the other garage.

Anyway, I worked on the car and one day went to the boot to get parts out and a very unpleasant thing happened, the car rolled back off all four ramps and landed on my legs pinning me against the grassy slope of the garden.
It hurt a lot and I was very frightened, I shouted for help and grabbed things from the boot to try to get the car off me but couldnít although I did get a handy jack out and tried to relieve the pressure.
Anyway, the young lad next door heard me shouting and his Mam and her Boyfriend Ian ran out. Unfortunately my 6 foot high fence and locked gates suddenly seemed a bad idea but Ian jumped over the fence, smooth side of the fence barefoot and came to help. I donít know how he did that, quite impressive. He couldnít move the car because he was effectively trying to push it up four ramps. Anyway, we wedged the jack between the bumper and while I wound it he pulled on the car and I got my left leg out, it slipped a couple of times which hurt a lot, we jacked again and I got my right leg out which was trapped at my foot.

Have a pic, the jack is still dug into the bumper and my right shoe is still between the car and grass, the steel toe cap had meant it wouldnít fit out and I managed to get my foot out of it. The pushed in part of the bumper was where my left leg was.

Anyway, unbelievably no broken bones but lots of bruising and pain and a long recovery.

I worked out what went wrong, when I jacked up the front ramps they moved in an arc and moved the back wheels to the edge of the ramp slope without me noticing, the hand brake couldnít hold it and back it went.

The car was damaged, some damage to the newly painted floors and sills and worst of all the fog lamps which are quite hard to find and Iíd done some restoration on were smashed, both bumpers were cracked, the rear one by my leg, lucky the bumper gave way.

Well, that was another low point, nearly the last straw and put me out of action for a short time but in the end the engine went in with the help of my Uncle and everything else was fitted with some help from my Uncle and friends and the accident damage repaired.

I had lots of problems as expected, the clutch clave cylinder immediately failed, the starter had seized, and many other things, the most difficult problem turned out to be a fuel pump problem. It would pull away but any throttle and it would die. I suspected fuel delivery and proved it by adding a pneumatic pressure gauge to the fuel line and watching the pressure drop off even revving it while stationary.
That was a strange fault, the pump which had been noisy all the years Iíve had the car had been pressing against the bottom of the tank which had sucked up years ago and the rubber connection to the pickup filter had stretched to almost close the orifice. A spare pump had it running.

So then it went for test, and passed no problem. Wheels and tyres followed just last weekend and I took it out and took this pic which I really like.

I should remind you all that I havenít done the paint part of a restoration intentionally, its kind of the reverse of a poor restoration that some cars get where they have lovely shiny paint covering a badly repaired car. This car looks very untidy but I just love it, its my favourite car of any Iíve ever owned and I donít worry about driving it and parking it, a few more marks wouldnít make any difference.
That said, I did machine polish most of it quickly and it turned out OK, hundreds of scratches and a few dents but other than the bonnet it doesnít look bad. I have the satisfaction of knowing that its now a far better car than it looks, I donít really care much what people think, I have my cars for my own satisfaction. You could say itís a bit of a sleeper as my friend said, it looks run down and lucky to be alive but in reality it can surprise people.
It drives very well, its not as noisy as I would have expected inside, the gearstick is my favourite bit and it works very well, it goes well and revs like a motorbike with the flywheel and engine work.

So there you go, for now its on the road and finishedÖ..probably.

Iíll get a few more finished pics one day, perhaps if not before at Billing for the VBOA rally if it gets there.

Now that its done I want to thank everyone who has commented and encouraged, it really has made a troublesome and challenging project more worthwhile, and probably helped prevent me from giving up as I have thought about at times.
Cheers all,

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2016, 01:05:28 AM »
Very well done Chris.

One tip when using 4 ramps put the rear ones backwards or get some timber wedges and shove them into the gaps in the ramps!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

0795omega

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
that grass bank probably did you a favour stopped car going any further allways am a bit nervous going under a car even with axle stands and bricks chocking the wheels! a car dealer down the road from me has a display ramp/plimpth he puts car of the week on,it looks ideal for working on a motor underneath would love to have it!!

Damoh89

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
Megs late reply but some outstanding work just starting my mini resto to my iwn carcand your pics has defo gave me good ideas of where to prod poke snd check,seriously lucky managed get out from car ok with just brusing

nightmare

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
Very well done Chris.

One tip when using 4 ramps put the rear ones backwards or get some timber wedges and shove them into the gaps in the ramps!!

Another TIP

Use a couple of ratcheting straps round the circumference of the wheels and through each ramp.

Brilliant work on the car and the posting. 8)
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

chris

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2016, 11:46:52 PM »
Megs late reply but some outstanding work just starting my mini resto to my iwn carcand your pics has defo gave me good ideas of where to prod poke snd check,seriously lucky managed get out from car ok with just brusing

If my pics are any use in your search for the dreaded rot thats great. I hope your project is coming along OK.

chris

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2016, 11:49:15 PM »
Very well done Chris.

Another TIP

Use a couple of ratcheting straps round the circumference of the wheels and through each ramp.

Brilliant work on the car and the posting. 8)

Thanks Nightmare.
I've learned a lot about ramp safety the hard way ::)
This isnt the car thats needing the original stereo you just helped me find by the way, that one is a bit more original.