Author Topic: Carlton GSi 24v G624XME Scrapyard Dodger  (Read 24048 times)

PedrŲ

Re: Carlton GSi 24v G624XME Scrapyard Dodger
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »
Very clean, Sir!  ;D

0795omega

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
they look nice,subtle and tastefull modification that as you say keeps the engine in check!

chris

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2015, 11:44:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments chaps.

Not a catch up post again, I did a bit that I like this weekend so I thought Iíd show you, I think it might be the best bit of the car, although certainly not to everyoneís taste (if anyones), I like it though.

I heard that an Omega gearstick was shorter, a direct swap and a better feel due to the length.
I took my gearstick out (not hard as there is no gearbox) and not having an Omega one to hand took mine to bits thinking it would be easy to shorten.
I turns out that they are very difficult to shorten, they are in two halves with rubber damping half way up and have an internal pull cord for the lift up reverse interlock.
I puzzled for ages over a solution and also over what to have on the top of it as the original knob is moulded on and falls apart during removal.

Anyway, after much searching for ideas I went for a slightly different take on a very old theme, the 8 ball.
I wasnít going to go that way until I found that the big manufacturer had a limited edition silver 8 ball, same colour as the car, so maybe a bit out of era but Iím happy.

First to make the basic stick, I turned down the bottom half of the old one then made a new top half from aluminium. It has O ring grooves turned in it and with the O rings fitted itís a perfect fit inside the tube used later. I made the extension with an oversized bore and fixed the two parts together with windscreen adhesive in the gap to replicate the rubber damping of the original, held in the lathe to set.

Late on Xmas day with the Chas n Dave Xmas special on the telly I prepared the pool ball, I havenít drilled one before but it went well.
I donít care much for Xmas so this was a nice way to finish the day.

To prevent damage I had an idea, I shoved it into the centre of a roll of parcel tape and put the tape in the chuck. It worked just fine.

I drilled and tapped it M8, they are easy to drill and tap and take a thread well.

Before the hols I had made the stainless outer sleeve which was how I had decided to get the lift up reverse interlock to work. It has bits made to fit the original interlock plastic moulding and a collar for lifting.

I polished the bits where necessary too.

And put the bits together. The lift up part has no play and was a little bit stiff so a wipe of rubber grease on the O rings has it operating better than I could have hoped for.

I fitted that to the rest of the mechanism and forgot to take a pic, then fitted it to the car.
Ignore the bracket for the gearstick lock, a shame to clutter it up with that but with a 90s Vauxhall you cant afford to remove a security device so it will be refitted.

It has new handbrake and gearstick gaiters from ebay seller ďtopgaitersĒ, recommended.

Iím happy with it, Iím sure pool balls are a bit marmite and certainly not typical of a 90s car but there you go.

A couple of pics of it in its surroundings that I havenít posted yet, including that digital display fitted.
Apologies for the dust.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
Fantastic  :)
wish my 25th of December had been as productive
keep up the good work
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »
I see you're pooling it all together quite nicely  ;D ;D

Game on. ;)

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
Having a ball!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

swordfish

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2015, 07:25:17 AM »
well done keeping your eye on the ball  ;D ;D

chris

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2015, 12:30:05 AM »
Dear me...if the Christmas cracker jokes weren't good enough this year you lot have certainly made up for it ;D

A bit of catch up.
A few weeks body related work condensed into a handful of pics.

I painted the sills, the rear valance, the boot and the underside repairs in several sessions.
No pics of most of it, some of the boot.

On the wheelarches I wanted to prevent the stones thrown by the back wheels taking the paint off and starting rust yet again, I hadnít taken care of this last time. I continued the stonechip from underneath onto the lip, then used the replica black tapes overlapping onto the stonechipped area so its all protected. I might have to take the arch top trims off in future because I didnít take care to protect the top edges when I put the arches in years ago.

I put all of the doors back on, new pins to reduce play in the fronts. I went to quite a bit of trouble when putting it back together to get gaps and alignments right.
Carltons look terrible with bad gaps, and the design of the GSis in particular with different bumpers and trims makes bad alignment stand right out. I saw a Carlton not long ago with what looked like recent paint, it had some bad gaps and didnít look like a good car, putting this back together with good gaps and straight lines has made it look like a more decent car straight away even with well aged paint etc.

When fitting the back bumper bracket it turned out that I had put the new sunroof drain location right where it should be, a quick notch out of the bracket fixed it.

The front half of the skirts were binned due to being too distorted from the previous terrible efforts at fitting, I had some spares in red so they were all painted and re-attached using windscreen adhesive.

The underside repairs were stonechipped and painted, an exhaust hanger was knocked up from stainless to replace the original that should be part of the car but had rotted off.

Some more catch up stuff when I sort the photos.

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »
Your attention to detail will probably make this the last Gsi on the road it wont rot out in a hurry
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

chris

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
Sorry for the long delay in any posting, lots of other stuff in life keeping me busy, some good stuff though.

Iíve been working on the engine but the thread is still way behind on the rest of the car.

I thought all of the welding was finished again and had painted the interior. Next was to prepare a set of seats and door cards  using the best of what I had, Iíll post about that later as it turned out really well but I found something on the way.

First I took the rear seat base out and was troubled by a small bubble in the sound deadening, the fact that the chassis leg under here is almost impossible to see and I didnít have confidence that the invisible bits were OK I decided to start cutting again, and had to take the welder back to the garage for one last time.
Under the sound deadening I found a little hole

But I wanted a good look underneath so cut quite a bit out.

It was the right thing to do, the chassis leg wasnít very good and I decided to chop some of it out.

And made repair pieces to fix the outer skin. The outer includes the flange on the right, the inner includes the flange on the left, they are spotwelded together. The open end of the outer is probably why they rot, any water that gets sprayed there when driving will run directly between the skins ans cause rot.

Inner bottom panel with plug weld holes and a big hole that has a purpose later.

Zinc primer on.

Welded in and one side made and primed.

And so on
Inner completely panelled in to where it should be and started using rust converter on the rest of the inside, later zinc paint everywhere and lashings of wax and oil.

Of course next I replaced the top panel, no pic.
More to follow soon.

chris

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
Next it got much worse, Carlton owners should check here.
There was nothing to see with the seat back still fitted, but once it was unbolted I found serious structural rot and cracking!

Just a little bit of rust here it seems Ė

And some little cracks here, and whats that, a pulled out spotweld? Well it turned out that as well as various cracks all of the spotwelds were pulled out.

I had to chop out the corners of the rear bulkhead to investigate, and found that the rear spring seats were busy trying to get into the boot. Lots of rot.

Iíve seen rear bulkhead crack pics before on a Lotus Carlton, maybe related to the power but I suspect this car is cracking up due to flex due to extreme structural rot.

I built it all back up.

I added some braces to each side to reduce stress on the bulkhead corner joins, but in hindsight Ií not convinced it was worth the bother.

Next I looked at the other side, would you believe it this corner was completely separated too.

Similar rot too.

Some new bits made and welded in. Both sides have more overlap that standard.

Car shaped again.

The black plug in the new patch over the chassis leg repairs is one I added again, its directly over that large hole in the inner chassis leg skin and allowed me to put a large amount of wax and oil in to soak through the gap between the skins to prevent new rot.

This time thatís the rot really all gone and the welder back home to stay.
Oh, and I had to get the paint gear back out now to do the boot again.

Lots of other progress done and to post soon hopefully.

chris

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2016, 10:05:56 PM »
Its been a long time since I posted, a lot has happened since, with some real low points but yesterday a real high when it passed its MOT first time with no advisories.  Its not finished but the MOT is a real milestone and now I can road test and take it to where I can work on it.
I cant remember exactly what was done when but lots of small jobs got done and I prepared an interior from the best parts of two interiors, I cleaned everything and did some careful repairs to the door cards.
 I havenít got any pics of the bits before fitting but the seats turned out to be fantastic after a clean, the usual worn drivers seat bolsters are great, the seats are probably a good enough standard for a restoration which makes me think of selling them to someone who needs them to fund some aluminium seats.
The rear headrests are commonly dried up and split along the top on these due to sun through the back window but it turns out front headrests are the same as rears but with different posts, so I used four fronts to make a really good set.
Iíll post some interior pics later.
First, I cant remember if I posted this, the final patch count is 188

Here are a couple of other odd bits.
Here are those sunroof drains rerouted from inside of the sills earlier, now exiting inside the front wheelarches once the liners were refitted.

New aerial mounting grommet, and you cant see it but the aerial mount remade to fit around the bigger spare wheel well.

I made a new heatshield for the rear silencer.

Next a real low point.
This whole build has been done in a garage without power etc at my allotment as mentioned earlier. Well, someone decided that they wanted my allotment or garage or wanted to frighten me. I arrived one day to find death threats, warnings that someone was looking for me and to get out of my place within one week or it would be burned down.
Iím no tough guy and this really shook me up, I panicked and asked family to help, the same day we transported the unfinished car and whatever parts and tools we could to my home where the car fortunately fitted in my back yard. I had to complete the rest of the project outdoors and with no pit, it was a bit of a setback.

The threats were reported to the police who were great, they did lots of interviewing and made their presence known.  I spent some paranoid evenings waiting at the allotment for the person to come back but they didnít (thankfully as what I was doing was really stupid) Word got around the place that everyone was looking out for me and the police were making their presence felt and nothing more happened. Unfortunately though the damage is done, Iíll never feel safe there and will never keep another car there.

A couple of example pics, there was a lot more Ė

The next big job was to put an engine and gearbox together for it in the next post.

Street Sleeper

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
Good to hear you got the car out after all of your hard work. Probably just some stupid kids who want to use the building to smoke dope or some other waste of time.
You could always put some "smile you're on cctv" stickers up
Anyways good luck with the rest of the car it will be worth it!
89 Project tube GSI 6000 16V!

0795omega

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »
glad you got the car out back home all safe,too many wasters in britain nowadays with no respect for people or their property,probably jealous you have a nice car and the talent to restore it!

chris

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »
Thanks for your comments gents.

I think the scum were jealous of the garage, we built it from derelict remains to a great 2 car long secure garage. Some scum are too lazy to do work for themselves and jealous about anyone who has something, and some try to get something by nasty means rather than hard work.

I let it be known that I'll never leave, I'd flatten it to the ground myself before I let anyone else take it having pushed me out.

Hopefully it'll never come to that.

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
There are some real shitbags about Chris dont allow it to upset an otherwise great experience well done on the pass

chris

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »
There are some real shitbags about Chris dont allow it to upset an otherwise great experience well done on the pass

Thanks CM, it upset me a lot but driving the car today with a couple more faults fixed since yesterday feels great after these years, I havent done everything I'd have liked to to the car but it was time to get pleasure back from it by driving before my mojo permanently left the building.

There was one other setback after what I've already written about, a bit of an accident, I'll come to that later.

chris

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2016, 12:06:39 AM »
Engine and gearbox next, in the interest of saving time Iíll dump these pics here with maybe not great explanations.

Light single mass flywheel from TTV, beautiful thing.

Sprung friction plate from C&G motorsport.

Dual ram bits being cleaned and assembled onto painted casting.  Larger bore throttle body bought from an ABS member years ago and not used until now.

A new exhaust manifold heatshield as the old one was in bad condition and the bolt holes had pulled through. The new one is double skinned stainless, 0.6 and 0.4mm the idea being improved insulation without too much weight.

You can see it under some other stuff that needs protecting from excessive heat here

The injectors were sent away for servicing and testing.

The water pumps on these engines originally had metal impellers but the one in the engine was making a lot of noise so no good. Metal impeller pumps are / were almost impossible to find but the plastic impeller ones can fail.
I had a plastic impeller pump that had had its impeller disintegrate while fitted to this engine (not a nice experience) but was otherwise OK, so swapped the metal impeller onto the pump that was a plastic one. It worked

The sump plug in the engine looked suspect so in the years I ran the car I always changed the oil via the dipstick tube, now time to take the plug out.
It was in fact half a spark plug

The sump was no good, badly helicoiled and cracked so I machined a big hole in it and made up a bung with a sensible thread to take an easily available sump plug with O ring seal, the original was a stupid design, shallow threads in alloy and a copper washer that needs quite a good tighten to seal.
Sadly the sump plug is a F**d item, I donít think the car has noticed though.

My more skilled cousin welded it in for me

Lots of new gaskets and timing chain guides from Germany, not a cheap engine to rebuild and mine isnít anywhere near a full rebuild.

Timing chain guide location pin.
To change the guides without removing the head you have to destroy this and fit a new one.
GM donít have them any more (like so much of these engines parts) so IM or BC (depending on where you are reading this) kindly sent me an original so I could have it copied by a local company.

Nice blasted and painted bits, paid for blasting, painted in the garage.

New secondary chain guide from ABS years ago.

A real Oh no moment, I used a torque wrench on everything in the engine but this bolt is for the secondary chain guide, and the thread is pulled out of the head! It was my own fault, the hole had oil in the bottom so hydraulic lock pushed the thread out before the bolt reached the tensioner casting.

I worked very careful and a helicoil worked perfectly which was a huge relief.

Its got new straight and curved primary chain guides.

Cam cover baffle plate had to be drilled off for blasting so I drilled and tapped as advised by BC and used Loctite to fix it back on.

Both ends got new crank seals from Germany.

This blank plug was taken out of the timing cover and an oil temp sensor fitted, another item supplied by Edelschmiede in Germany where the gaskets and guides all came from, excellent supplier who makes it possible to keep these engines alive.

New thermostat and associated bits

The front crank / damper mass bolt proved to be a problem to source, of course GM didnít have any and its said it needs to be renewed every time. I eventually found one and fitted it, torque tightening then angle tightening.
Big torque wrench and angle gauge.

Crank locking

Engine and spare gearbox assembled and a lifting attachment made which seemed like a good idea until I realised that it has to be tilted so steeply to get in that the back of the bracket wouldnít go past, I had to trim it with a hacksaw while the engine was half in. Still, its there for next time.

Getting there, enough for tonight.

0795omega

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
thats one pampered well sorted carlton! well done on all the hard work gone into it sir.

Street Sleeper

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
We need a like button for this thread!
89 Project tube GSI 6000 16V!

chris

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments chaps, I do appreciate it and it helps with enthusiasm.

This isnít a catch up post although there is still some catch up to do, but Iím quite please with a little bit of progress this Morning so thought Iíd post it.

The plan had been to have black steel wheels, using 16 inch Vauxhall centres with wider rims added.
Anyway, there just isnít time, I need it on the road and in use so decided to put the original wheels back on, they are the nicest wheels ever put on a Carlton from the factory in my opinion anyway.

I was just going to give them a quick clean then get new tyres fitted, I got two cleaned up and was reasonably happy with them but the others were more badly kerbed, they all are to some extent.

I put one of the worst in my lathe, I didnít think it would be possible but it turned out that with the gap bed insert removed and the wheel over the chuck they fit.
I clocked it in so that I donít make it out of balance and turned the damage off then polished the bare metal, Iím really pleased with the result so it looks like Iím going to have to do all four.

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2016, 12:51:16 AM »
Nice job where abouts are you??
I have some rims that need a refurb!!

0795omega

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »
i love these gsi wheels,better than the late ones i rekon? forged stamped into them too which is a nice touch from gm!

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2016, 04:25:51 AM »
The most expensive wheel ever put on a Griffin by all accounts!!
£574+vat EACH!

0795omega

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
thats an amazing price,imagine having to replace one when the cars were current,would of had a fit in the vauxhall dealers when he said the price!!