Author Topic: Killing the battery overnight  (Read 2992 times)

karol mk2 cdti

Killing the battery overnight
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
Anyone shed some light as to why my 24v Auto Carlton deadens the battery overnight.

I can put the voltmeter across it and watch the Volts go down per second is about 00.01V

Already pulled all the fuses from the fuse box and its still doing the same?

Help needed thanks?

chris

Re: Killing the battery overnight
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:11 PM »
Does the battery stay charged when not connected, I had a brand new battery that discharged itself whether connected or not. It took ages to prove to the supplier?

Check that the boot light is going off when shut.

Check that the radio isn't still drawing current (I have also had that). Remove the fuse if in doubt.

Check the actual drain by lifting the +ve terminal off the battery and putting your meter across from the battery to the terminal and setting it to measure current (mA), its easy to work out from that how many watts of drain there is.

After those maybe do the same check with each fuse removed in turn to see if one makes a difference.

Alternatively take the battery clamp off and put a bulb across, if the drain is big it will light up, easy to attach a long wire so you can look at the bulb while you remove each fuse until it goes out.

Or take each fuse out in turn and check for voltage across the two terminals with your meter.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:47 AM »
duff alternator brush/diode pack?
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

karol mk2 cdti

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:19:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies lads. It seems the alternator was the issue because when I removed the positive lead to it the volts in the battery came right back up again. Would the P/S fluid leaking onto it caused this to fail because the only thing I did around that area was change the pump and fluid leaked out.

nightmare

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »
Possible! Try removing the diode pack and cleaning it with a de-greasing agent or electrical cleaner.
In fact clean the whole alternator.
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

karol mk2 cdti

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »
Changed out the alternator and thought I had it solved as it wasn't going flat overnight anymore. But something still wasn't right because I was only getting 13.2v at the battery on idle but I was getting a reading of 14.2v at the alternator. Took off alternator again and also the bracket mounting it to the engine. I cleaned the 4 surface contact points where it meets the engine and this cured my loss of 1v drop from alternator to the battery.  :)