Author Topic: Welding safety  (Read 1429 times)

Einarrson

• Wanted: Life
Welding safety
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
I've found a lot of water in the drivers side and the seat behind earlier. I've also fond a hole in the off side read seat footwell. It's only the size of an old 50p but it is only a couple of inches from the fuel pipes on the underside and quite near to where they join into the rubber pipes.

I''ll be welding it from inside the car but is it advisable to remove the pipes before welding? Or is it ok to shield them with a metal plate?

chris

Re: Welding safety
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »
Leave them in place would be my advice, as long as there is no fuel vapour there will be no fire, removing the pipes is a great way to get fuel vapour in the area.

Damage by radiated heat and heat from spatter sticking to the surface of the pipes is the risk, the risk is small but protecting with a metal plate is a good solution.

The other thing to watch for while welding above is underseal fires below causing flames to reach the pipes, just weld a bit, look underneath, weld a bit and so on.

I've welded a lot near fuel pipes and hoses, sensible precautions mean I've never had a fuel related fire so far, plenty of underseal and trim fires though.

Einarrson

• Wanted: Life
Re: Welding safety
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice Chris! I'll use a shield and keep a fire extinguisher and damp rag handy when I do it.