Author Topic: Howdy...  (Read 3150 times)

pistonpopper

Howdy...
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:11:39 AM »
I just thought that before i start posting anything i'd start by saying howdy, my name is Robin, and i'm an autoholic! I really should try and check into the Henry Ford clinic at some point, but i keep putting it off by saying that i can give it up any time i like! I'm not really brand loyal to any thing, however i do seem to get side tracked by old Chrysler/Talbot Alpines, i've had loads of them, and am even driving one as my daily at the moment, and it's great... No really!! I also have an odd fondness for late '80s, early '90s Ford Thunderbirds, i've had a couple of them too! Err...What else... Oh yes, my current car collection totals just 15 cars (I think!) When i just had 12 cars i decided to have a bit of a culling, and so started to sell them, i managed to sell 2, then i bought another 5. But honestly, i could give it up whenever i like! Oh, and i also have 2 motorcycles, and a very understanding wife, which is lucky i reckon!

Anyhoo, i thought i'd join this forum because i'm on a bit of a hunt, and that is to track down a car that didn't even belong to me really, but it was effectively my first car! Although it was owned by my aunty who was living in America at the time, and as i'd just passed my test i was given the task of looking after this car while she was away, on the understanding that i didn't wreck it, and by some miracle, i didn't! So,  I have been wondering about this car for a while now, and I figured that as it's a Vauxhall Carlton, this would be as good a place as any to look! So I thought that maybe the best way of finding it is to ask if anyone's seen it. The trouble is of course, that although we're a big community, for a good percentage of the time we're hidden away in lock ups and workshops. That said, maybe someone, owns, or knows of, or has seen my old car in their travels. Anyway, what i'm looking for is a two litre, automatic Vauxhall Carlton estate, registration number PLD 813W, and i guess it must've slipped from my grasp around 20ish years ago from the Winchester area. The last time I saw it, it was still wearing its original light metallic blue paint work, and was driving through Southampton. According to the DVLA website its not been taxed since 1995 so I'm guessing that it's long gone to the great scrapyard in the sky, but i'm hoping that it's still out there somewhere. If you happen to have it lurking in your garage, or maybe know someone who does, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

0795omega

Re: Howdy...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:56:11 PM »
hello and welcome,i remember having a lift to school in my mates dads  chrysler alpine as a child and quite liked it,good luck finding the carlton,but doesnt look good if not taxed since 95!

pistonpopper

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:19:28 AM »
Oddly, i was never a fan of my Chrysler Alpine until i bought more mainstream cars that were apparently better! Then i realised just how good my underdog was!

As for the Carlton, i think you're right, i've been looking for it for some time. I wish there was some way i could find out who the last owner was, then at least i could write them a letter and ask them if they still have it, or if they know where it went. I'm strating to think that i might just have to buy a Carlton estate, and just build another one, mine was a mk1, but i always thought the mk2 was the best of the bunch to look at. So it'll probably be a mk2 if i can't find mine. I have a feeling that mine has been in my cupboards several times over the years probably containing beans or something  :-[

0795omega

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
its a shame i allways think how with data protection act and all that how dvla just will not divulge the details of a registered cars keeper or last known keeper,when you quite honestly would like it back for sentimental reasons! i know cause ive been there myself trying to get them to tell me the current or last known keeper of a mk1 granada estate my dad had when i was a kid and they allways get back saying sorry cannot tell you this information,its a bit extreme but i once read a story in a classic car mag about a guy who tracked down the capris used in the proffesionals using a private detective!! he was obviously an ex copper and still had contacts is all i can say.

Nath2162

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
Is it possible for the dvla to "forward" a letter from yourself. That way they are not divulging and information and it would then be up to the 3rd party to contact you if they wanted. Not sure the dvla would do it, but it's got to be worth a try?

pistonpopper

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
I must admit, i've thought the forwarding a letter way myself, and even suggested it to the DVLA, but they never got back to me, so i guess thats a no then! I've even put little adverts in shop windows in the area that i last saw it, but nothing! I reckon the only way to find it, if it's still around to find, is just keep asking people, and eventually it might turn up... Of course, the other way to find it is to start restoring another one instead, then it should turn up just as i'm putting the finishing touches to its replacement! I do get a lot of people telling me it's gone by now though, but you never know i managed to find a mk1 Cortina a couple of years ago that had been hiding in its garage since 1988. And a 1978 Trans am that had been hiding out sine 1982, that one only had about 22,000 on the clock, so they're still out there, they're just harder to find, and like i say, the more people i tell, the more likely it is i'll find the old girl... Hopefully!!

alastair

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
Hello and welcome!

I'm afraid if that's the last info dvla have on it, there will I doubt be anything they can tell you about it!

Good luck all the same!
1991 GSI 24v man
1993 Senator 24v CD Auto (for sale)
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)