Author Topic: 1990 GSi3000 Lotus Replica  (Read 4066 times)

Brett

1990 GSi3000 Lotus Replica
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd share some pics of my Cartlon GSi3000 Lotus replica, affectionately known as 'The Carlton Type-S' in reference to those Honda's you get that look like but are not Type-R's! I suppose its not impossible someone on here knows the car?

I bought it in may with most of the windows smashed out and with a running problem. Totally a heart over head decision, I will live to regret and already am but that's half the fun sometimes!

So far all I have done with it is get it waterproof with new glass and thats been it until the last week or so. My excuse is also having a pair of Cavaliers - a Mk2 Turbo and a Mk3 V6 - which have been taking my time up all summer! Now is the time for the Carlton to be revived though.

So far, Ive stripped the interior out and binned most of it because of the sheer amount of smashed glass and water that got into it as it wasn't covered for a long time before I bought it. I kept the Lotus doorcards and thats about it really. Poked around and found a few bits that need welding, all at the front and then painted the floors and fitted the seat from a 24v Senator I also have in stock. Front seats will be Diamond ones which I managed to find locally over summer:)

A mate got this Carlton Diamond in for scrap, already well stripped but I managed to get loads of good parts from it - all 4 doors and a mint headlining to replace the peeled one in the GSi.

In the same picture you can see my old 24v Senator, its rotten and the head gasket is very very gone so it'll be yielding loads of parts as I get the Type-S back on the road.

Finally the 24v engine, with help on this website I diagnosed the injectors being nearly stuck open due to an ECU fault and changed the ECU for the one on the Senator. It now runs for the first time in what must be nearly a year but the engine is still a bit of an unknown.

Thanks for looking ;D

chrismec

• Wanted: Life
  • Poole Dorset
Re: 1990 GSi3000 Lotus Replica
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
Looks like it has the makings of a good project, hope it goes well

Alex_FC

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »
Wow I'm so jealous, this car looks like it can be great.

Brett

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:51 PM »
Thanks! The plan is to make it as smart as I possibly can without spending a fortune on it. We'll see how that pans out!

Ive got it running now, quietened the top end down after a run around the yard. The problem I have is the smoke.... Ive never seen anything like it! It belches out white smoke like you would not believe. Gets worse when its warm and then, when the engines under load its horrific. Power seems reasonable but its over fuelling for sure still.

My MV6 Omega is looking like its days are numbered if I cant sort this engine!

stemo

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »
Nice project! I'd be heavily tempted to do the MV6 swap anyway its a better engine and would be a cool conversion!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
The problem I have is the smoke.... Ive never seen anything like it! It belches out white smoke like you would not believe. Gets worse when its warm and then, when the engines under load its horrific. Power seems reasonable but its over fuelling for sure still.

White smoke can be an indication that the head gasket is clapped and leaking water into the cylinders: Is the coolant level falling ?

Brett

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
Coolant level stayed fine, I checked that which is why Im so confused on this one!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »
To be sure that the coolant level is staying steady, check it when cold then run it for a while, let it get cold then check again.

You could not only have water leaking into the cylinders but also gas causing a 'bubble' in the coolant system.

alastair

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
Smoke or steam?
1991 GSI 24v man
1993 Senator 24v CD Auto (for sale)
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

swordfish

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
Nice project! I'd be heavily tempted to do the MV6 swap anyway its a better engine and would be a cool conversion!

no way is the v6 better than the straight six 

chris

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »

no way is the v6 better than the straight six 

That's exactly what I was thinking.

As for the smoke, if you think its overfuelling just get it warmed up properly and then let it tick over, the instant consumption on the trip computer should easily display 0.3.

If it shows more than that at tickover then it is overfuelling.

swordfish

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
YOU NEED TO SWAP THE ECU I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ONE THAT HAD BEEN SO CALLED CHIPED. I JUST FITTED A STANDARD ONE AND IT WAS FINE  ;) AND THE AIR FLOW METER MIGHT HAVE BEEN MESSED WITH TO  ;)

Brett

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »
wow, thanks for the responses and advice!!

Changed the ECU already for a known good one (as have the TPS, CTS & AFM)

As for the engine debate, Im on the fence. Love the straight six but not prepared to spend money on one of those engines due to the sheer cost of parts like head gasket and bolts - before you even consider the possibility I may need to do timing chain and guides too.

Its either and easy/cheap fix or the V6 gets the nod.

Alex_FC

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
White smoke = Steam = Head Gasket

Blue-ish smoke = Oil Burning = Piston Rings or valve stem seals

Black/dark smoke = Very rich  combution = faulty ECU, Faulty Sensor (MAP, TPS, Temp, AFM etc), stuck open injector.

Good luck finding the fault.

alastair

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »
As for the engine debate, Im on the fence. Love the straight six but not prepared to spend money on one of those engines due to the sheer cost of parts like head gasket and bolts - before you even consider the possibility I may need to do timing chain and guides too.

If it ain't broke leave it, would be my thinking. If the engines shot then fair enough. I wouldn't worry about head gasket or chains?
1991 GSI 24v man
1993 Senator 24v CD Auto (for sale)
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

Brett

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:58 AM »
Its the headgasket, so the V6 is going in I would guess.

As a result of all that though its going on the back burner until spring when the weather improves:) Not doing a swap like that in the freezing cold shitty weather!