Author Topic: Senator Battery.  (Read 3377 times)

djbthatsme

Senator Battery.
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
The battery on my 1992  3.0l Senator is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.I'm hoping to find a reliable unit with 5 years warranty for a competitive price and was wondering what experiences other members have had. The 5 year warranty at a reasonable price is difficult to find where the front runners are a 75ah  Bosch (warranty ?) and a Varta with a 4 year warranty.

Your thoughts and experiences are gratefully accepted. ::)

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
Re: Senator Battery.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
vauxhall trade club batteries 096 around 45 but you will need a club card!!

3 year warranty but at that price worth a punt

beware Bosch and Varta "silver" batteries the Carlton cannot fully charge themand they let you down at the most inconvenient times!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

stemo

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
That ^^ I didn't know! Good job I avoided them when I replaced mine then!  8)

melinx

• Wanted: Life
  • WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
keeping in mind the comments about the drawbacks of silver/calcium batteries; I have noticed that a rule of thumb is : -
The higher the specified cold cranking amps (CCA) the longer the guarantee period !

I'm guessing that this is due to a more robust internal plate construction.

djbthatsme

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »
Thanks for all your replies good people, ;D
The battery on my Senator is a 75 AH Bosch which came with the car when I bought it earlier this year. The car had been on a Sorn for the last number of years and previously, for years,  it had only been travelling 2 miles to the local garage for an MOT. So clearly the battery wasn't being used as it should be. A week or so after getting the car  home (220 miles trip) the battery let me down, which seemed unusual considering the time it was being charged. The AA considered that the battery might be saved if it was slow charged, which I did. Since then, after not starting the car for about a month, I tried but failed to turn the engine over - no life in battery.

Anyway I've trickled charged the battery again and put it on the car and the motor started immediately. So I'm hoping that this time the problem may be resolved. I'm holding back from buying a new battery because of the cost of the work yet to be done on the car.
If it needs a new battery then I shall be Taking your wise comments into account.Thanks once again. ;)

chris

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 11:20:31 PM »
If the battery is flat after a month it might not be a battery problem, it might be a small drain from something.

One of my Carltons is like that and I know that the cause is the alarm system.

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »
Thanks Chris,
I may be experiencing the same. The car as been standing for 4-5 days after being charged and on this occasion it started first time with plenty of life. I'll try it over an extended period and see what happens, still something else has happened to my Carlton which no doubt will keep me amused - I don't think  >:(

djbthatsme

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
I might as well put this one to bed, its the only action i'm getting nowadays. Still its been so long I would need support and directions from Bear Grylls. I eventually bought a Bosch S5 battery with 63AH and 610 cold cranking capacity. The S5 denotes it has 5 years warranty and I paid 86.40 for it from Euro car parts, which I'm pleased with. The car winds over strongly and starts immediately since fitting in early March. So this is one problem out of the way  ;D ;D