Author Topic: bulk head rust repair, loom hole, wet carpets, shite. GSI 24v  (Read 3488 times)

dave lynch

bulk head rust repair, loom hole, wet carpets, shite. GSI 24v
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
Looking for a guide to repairing the rust around the hole in the bulkhead for the wiring loom to come through.
I noticed the carpets soaking on the drivers side and found a couple small enough holes in behind the drivers and passengers side wheel arch splash guards, i had the rot cut out and welded and undersealed but the water still gets in when poured into the drivers side water channel on the bulkhead it still came through into the car.
I have the interior stripped out at the minute to get it dried out and ill be taking the car off the road for winter and onto storage.
Want to get this sorted over winter as its the only bad on the car now.
Want to know whats the best way to sort this, does the dash need to come out to get at it? And is there a chance it could be coming in somewhere else? Also where does the water come out when it goes down the water channel in the bulkhead?

any help would be appreciated cheers

24vman

• Mini's and Carltons
  • Global Moderator
Re: bulk head rust repair, loom hole, wet carpets, shite. GSI 24v
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »
Is the "Ring" of the wiring loom grommet still in one piece ?

If so, pull the wiring out of way, get someone to wield and another with a water spray to cool once wield starts to flame up.

If your worried about the wiring getting burn, put a lump of wood underneath it, this absorbs all the heat.

Otherwise, your need to donna "rings" and I have one sitting on the garden.

Done both sides on all my Carlton's, very normal.
1986 Rover Vitesse, 1988 GSI 12v turbo, 1991 GSI 24v, 1993 Diamond 4.0 24v, Hayter 14hp

dave lynch

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
Is the "Ring" of the wiring loom grommet still in one piece ?

If so, pull the wiring out of way, get someone to wield and another with a water spray to cool once wield starts to flame up.

If your worried about the wiring getting burn, put a lump of wood underneath it, this absorbs all the heat.

Otherwise, your need to donna "rings" and I have one sitting on the garden.

Done both sides on all my Carlton's, very normal.

is the rings your talking about part of the rubber grommet attached to the loom? Think that the rubber grommets all in one piece its just the hole that it goes into is rusted through near the bottom. Id need to check the passenger side but theres no water pouring through like the drivers side.
the thing that im worried about is how the waters getting in through where the wiring comes through when i pour water directly into the water channel hole underneath the corner of the windscreen, could the hole around the grommet have rusted right into the water channel?

Cheers for the reply lad

24vman

• Mini's and Carltons
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:16:42 PM »
That would mean either the drain on that side is blocked or where the drain is situated on the inner wing, there is a hole into the car.

Probably best to take the wing off and have a look.

You may need to cut the outside off to get to the inside.
1986 Rover Vitesse, 1988 GSI 12v turbo, 1991 GSI 24v, 1993 Diamond 4.0 24v, Hayter 14hp

chris

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
I've just been doing this work on a very rusty Carlton, its a big job to do properly, I went in from the outside and didn't disturb the dash. Maybe you can do it from inside with the dash out but you might not see the full extent of the rot from there..

I took the wing off, then took the big triangle panel off behind it, lots of spotwelds and some MIG welds, the rot behind there that the design of the car causes is spectacular even if it looks fine from outside, its why some people find strut tops moving.

The design of where the water goes once passed through the scuttle drains is terrible, causing lots of rot that lets water into the car in places where you cant get in to rustproof.

I will sort some pics of what I found and how I fixed it but it might not be until Wednesday.

dave lynch

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:34 PM »
Think it could be coming in through inside the drain somewhere, is cutting a hole the only way to get in to repair it or could it be done by taking the dash out do you think? Does the drain hole come out behind the wing behind where the side indicator is?

dave lynch

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:39:28 PM »
I've just been doing this work on a very rusty Carlton, its a big job to do properly, I went in from the outside and didn't disturb the dash. Maybe you can do it from inside with the dash out but you might not see the full extent of the rot from there..

I took the wing off, then took the big triangle panel off behind it, lots of spotwelds and some MIG welds, the rot behind there that the design of the car causes is spectacular even if it looks fine from outside, its why some people find strut tops moving.

The design of where the water goes once passed through the scuttle drains is terrible, causing lots of rot that lets water into the car in places where you cant get in to rustproof.

I will sort some pics of what I found and how I fixed it but it might not be until Wednesday.

sounds like its a big job alright especially as i cant weld lol. Some pictures would be great lad, wont be doing anything to the car for a couple weeks anyway so im in no rush. Me and my mate had a thought about making a sort of funnel that redirects the water straight out of the car. Read a couple threads about the bad design where the water goes and thought it would be a good idea but just a thought

chris

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
[. Me and my mate had a thought about making a sort of funnel that redirects the water straight out of the car. Read a couple threads about the bad design where the water goes and thought it would be a good idea but just a thought

That is something I have incorporated into the repair as it happens to take the water directly from the scuttle drain to inside the wheelarch. , GM should have done it in the first pace.

I should mention that my repair work isn't restoration standard, its a car that was saved from the scrap yard about 5 years back and its going to end up back on the road but probably stripped out for track use. The pics will still give you an idea though.

dave lynch

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 11:02:17 PM »
[. Me and my mate had a thought about making a sort of funnel that redirects the water straight out of the car. Read a couple threads about the bad design where the water goes and thought it would be a good idea but just a thought

That is something I have incorporated into the repair as it happens to take the water directly from the scuttle drain to inside the wheelarch. , GM should have done it in the first pace.

I should mention that my repair work isn't restoration standard, its a car that was saved from the scrap yard about 5 years back and its going to end up back on the road but probably stripped out for track use. The pics will still give you an idea though.

be good to see the pics lad to get a better idea but definitely think thats the thing to do rather than it to just rot again. Mines is going to be more restoration standard i hope, mines has already had sills and arches replaced and had a full respray too so my plans are to sort this and underseal and tidy up underneath over winter

chris

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:51 PM »
Sorry for the delay, took a while to sort the pics.

Anyway, when you get the wing off remove this triangle panel, its held on with a lot of spotwelds that need drilling out and a few inches of MIG weld that need cutting with a slitting disc very carefully (that's how I did it anyway)

What you see could be as bad as this, hopefully not though. (not the same car as the pic above)

6244_zps39246851.jpg.html][/URL]

Mostly caused by the stupid scuttle drain that you can see at the top of that last pic.

Some pics of the other side, you can see how it relates to the wiring harness hole.

Beginning the repair

You can see some crappy old welds around the area from quick patches done years ago when the car was getting basic MOT repairs every year to save it being broken for spares. I probably should have been really as its quite rusty but I like it and there aren't many non rusty ones left now.

One of the problems with this repair is that the top edges of those first patches is over the adhesive for the bonded in bulkhead, its not great to weld as the adhesive tries to burn, the way I have done it isnt correct too, that panel should go up behind the adhesive and another one on top comes up over the front, Im not concerned though.
I had to leave those unsightly welds there too, I would have ground them back flat for appearance but Im not doing this job at home so don't have access to compressed air and would normally do those bits with air tools. No big deal for this car though. Snotty welds due to difficult access (and limited skills no doubt).

Some work done, bloody long way to go.

Much later I added in this channel type affair, on the other side I did it a bit more of a simple way, just folded a rough rectangular tube and tacked it in place then sealed it to the drain.

Then put the triangle back on, the bottom was rotten anyway so I patched it to fit the drain, the drain will end up in the wheelarch and the strange tab sticking out is an idea to partially cover the end by bending it to stop the wheel flinging water up it.

Note the see through chassis leg at the bottom of the pic for entertainment. (now all new)

Anyway, maybe the pics will be some use for you to think about how to fix yours, like I said mine isnt restoration standard, more like strong, safe repairs that should keep it going for a few more years, if you could see the whole car you would understand why its not top quality work, but it is a lot better than MOT bodges.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:16:30 PM by chris »

dave lynch

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »
Cheers for the pics chris looks like alot of time went into fixing that lad looks a good job. Just hope mine isnt that bad when i get in there. Definitely think that added channel is the way to go, should have been done like that from the start. Thanks again for the help chris i just have to pull the finger out now and start cutting lol

chris

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »
. Just hope mine isnt that bad when i get in there.

I'm sure it wont be, you would know about it if your car was as rusty as this one.
Yours looks a very nice car well worth fixing.

dave lynch

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 04:02:52 PM »
Hopefully theres nothing too bad hiding in there. Aye its definitely worth fixing, there all worth fixing they just have to get the right owner who will spend a few pound on them.